Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Who Is Your Favorite Singer or Band (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=179359)

RichardSimon 11-26-2013 10:21 AM

Who Is Your Favorite Singer or Band

For me it is Van Morrison. I just saw him last nite at The Theater at MSG.
Fantastic show as always.

TUM301 11-26-2013 11:03 AM

Steely Dan, can listen to Becker and Fagen almost anytime. Seen them 4 times, mostly when they`d come to a great outdoor venue we have in western Mass. called Tanglewood. Favorite album Gaucho or The Royal scam !!!

39special 11-26-2013 11:04 AM

I have always been a big Rolling Stones fan.Saw them a few times.
Also a fan of the Eagles.
Gotta add Stevie .I love her voice.
Saw her at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby Pa in the mid '80's.

honus94566 11-26-2013 11:26 AM

Bon Jovi, Van Halen, Scorpions

bnorth 11-26-2013 12:05 PM

AC/DC I am not much for concerts but made it to these 3.

Who Made Who Tour Aug. 28 1986 in Sioux Falls, SD. They where so loud that they cracked the heck out of the brick arena and caused the arena to put a decibel limit on all future concerts held there.

Black Ice Tour June 23 2009 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. This was so awesome words can not even come close to describing it.:D

Black Ice Tour April 17 2010 in Des Moines, IA. The bands last concert in North America.

midwaylandscaping 11-26-2013 04:02 PM

Elton John. Bought my first Elton John album(Capt Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy) when I was 5, almost 6 years old with allowance money. "My Money" :D. Love Elton the entertainer, even now. Can listen to anything by him. Especially the early stuff.
Band wise, Rolling Stones, ZZ Top, Eagles, Oak Ridge Boys, ABBA.
Yeah I'm , odd....:o

sam majors 11-26-2013 04:55 PM

A child of the 60's

Boz Scaggs in his early years, especially his blues songs like "Somebody Loan Me A Dime." Hard to beat Grace Slick though!

CW 11-26-2013 06:53 PM

I listen to a lot of different stuff, and enjoy music from just about every artist mentioned so far, but my favorite has always been Rush.

The Canadian trio has been rocking out for 40 yrs now, and they tour not as a nostalgia act, but with fresh, new material. Saved every tickets stub (except one) from 60+ shows, with the first one in 1984...

http://imageshack.us/a/img217/9485/rushticket84.jpg

tedzan 11-27-2013 02:23 AM

Favorite Singer or Band

Singer ...... Donna Summer

Band(s) (having seen both these groups live several times, it's tough to decide)

Dave Brubeck Jazz Quartet

or

The Chicago Transit Authority......otherwise known as Chicago

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...bumchicago.jpg

TED Z

Leon 11-27-2013 07:46 AM

Great choices guys. I think Elton might be almost #1 for me but it is a toss up with none other than the Beatles. Honorable mention would go to names like....(not in any order.....)

Hank Williams Sr.
Zack Brown band
BR-549
Styx
REO Speedwagon
Harry Connick Jr.

ibuysportsephemera 11-27-2013 07:51 AM

1) Grateful Dead and then all of the other incarnations after Jerry Garcia passed.

2) Jimmy Buffett

3) Tons of others in all types of genres. I love music!

Jeff

timzcardz 11-27-2013 09:04 AM

Justin Bieber

'nuf said.

RichardSimon 11-27-2013 10:48 AM

Since everyone is listing more than one, I will add:
Rolling Stones
John Fogerty - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Paul Simon
Bruce Springsteen
Billy Joel
Janis Joplin (I saw her once in concert, 3 months before she died)

Have seen all of the listed ones many times (except Janis), I love live music.

Runscott 11-27-2013 11:39 AM

Ease 11-27-2013 11:57 AM

Stevie Wonder
Michael Jackson
Bob Seger
Jim Morrison

As for current artists I like Bruno Mars a lot.

thedutymon 11-27-2013 03:50 PM

Rush Forever !!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1210950)
I listen to a lot of different stuff, and enjoy music from just about every artist mentioned so far, but my favorite has always been Rush.

The Canadian trio has been rocking out for 40 yrs now, and they tour not as a nostalgia act, but with fresh, new material. Saved every tickets stub (except one) from 60+ shows, with the first one in 1984...

http://imageshack.us/a/img217/9485/rushticket84.jpg

Afternoon,

I've been to about 1000+ concerts (Lived for 15 years 1 mile from Red Rocks by Denver, did at least 40-50 shows every summer just there).

#1 always will be Rush, Seen them 39 times and counting......I'll be wherever they play here in Colorado next summer......As Usual!!

YeeHah!

Neil

CW 11-27-2013 05:27 PM

3 Attachment(s)
^^^ Nice! Have always wanted to go to Red Rocks to see Rush. That place and The Gorge, which is one of Neil's favorite places to play.

Here's some shots I saved back in '94 from Rush's Red Rocks show. R30 Tour. I believe the band posted these on their site back then.

Lgarza99 11-30-2013 01:56 PM

Great Rush pics! I'd have to go Rush, Van Halen, and Led Zeppelin.

71buc 11-30-2013 02:35 PM

Obviously I am showing my age and suffer from commitment issues, however, I would struggle to decide which one of these would be my favorite artist.
  • Etta James
  • Marvin Gaye
  • Mavis Staples
  • Al Green
  • Stevie Wonder
  • David Ruffin

EvilKing00 12-01-2013 06:51 AM

I cant just pick one, but I can pick one in a few different types.

Metallica

Billy Joel

Nirvana

glynparson 12-01-2013 03:50 PM

Favorites

1. Grateful dead
2. The Beatles
3. The Allman Brothers Band
4. Neil Young
5. Bob Dylan

Ps. Red Rocks is truly a special venue and well worth the trip to see your favorite act.

brett 75 12-01-2013 08:46 PM

1. Led Zeppelin all time favorite . Followed by a close second Steve Ray Vaughn ( saw him in a small venue in Sacramento , Ca. Less than 1500 people)amazing talent . 3rd MSG . Michael Schenker Group ( also UFO , and Scorpions ) great guitarist that many miss out on because of his heavy metal groups . One of the most melodic guitar players around . Brett

CW 12-01-2013 11:04 PM

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/image...s/thumbsup.gif to SRV!

RedlegsFan 12-02-2013 02:48 AM

1. The Beatles
2. Jimi Hendrix
3. Jethro Tull
4. The Grateful Dead
5. Soundgarden

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

Big Six 12-02-2013 08:40 AM

Hmmm...I'm all over the board...

1. The Police (never saw them live but did see Sting several times)
2. The Beatles (never saw them live)
3. Led Zeppelin (never saw them live but Page/Plant in '98 and Plant a few years ago were AMAZING)
4. Oasis (saw them several times both in arenas and small venues)
5. Counting Crows (one of my favorite live acts...met Duritz in Ireland while watching Cracker open up for the Crows...nice man)
6. R.E.M. (saw them several times...sad they folded but check out Tired Pony if you are going through withdrawl...Peter plays guitar for the Snow Patrol-led supergroup)
7. The Stone Roses (amazing band and John Squire is perhaps the GREATEST guitar player I've ever seen/heard)
8. Pearl Jam (saw them several times including last month in Hartford. They've gotten BETTER with age)
9. David Gray (I love singer-songwriters...this guy takes the cake)
10. Beastie Boys (you don't have to like rap to LOVE these guys...hope they have a few things left in the vault since they shut things down way too soon)

Honorable mention. The Samples (seen them countless times and one of the first bands I start listening to each Spring...their music makes me smile every time)

dabigyankeeman 12-02-2013 11:27 AM

Just cant pick between Elton John and Billy Joel. Maybe the slightest edge to Elton. Maybe.

So many greats though now around anymore, Sinatra, Queen (not the same without Freddy), Beatles (I still love Paul in concert), Whitney, Beach Boys (too many original members gone) etc.

steve B 12-02-2013 09:08 PM

Hendrix

A bunch more after that,
Black Sabbbath
White Zombie/Rob Zombie
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Robin Trower
Deep Purple
Johnny Cash

White Zombie was a really good show, so many hard rock acts decide they're "artists" after which it's pretty much over. No problem there :D "we're loud and having fun" :D:D

SRV was amazing, as was Robin Trower.

The best concert was an odd one, Not sure I could put it on the list. I saw Roger Waters pros and cons of hitchhiking tour. Only 6 cities, no warmup act. First set was all Pink Floyd, second was the entire album. (One of those concept things) The best part was that he'd hired Eric Clapton. So I saw Clapton doing Pink Floyd.....

Steve B

Bocabirdman 12-03-2013 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve B (Post 1212791)
Hendrix

A bunch more after that,
Black Sabbbath
White Zombie/Rob Zombie
Stevie Ray Vaughn
Robin Trower
Deep Purple
Johnny Cash

White Zombie was a really good show, so many hard rock acts decide they're "artists" after which it's pretty much over. No problem there :D "we're loud and having fun" :D:D

SRV was amazing, as was Robin Trower.

The best concert was an odd one, Not sure I could put it on the list. I saw Roger Waters pros and cons of hitchhiking tour. Only 6 cities, no warmup act. First set was all Pink Floyd, second was the entire album. (One of those concept things) The best part was that he'd hired Eric Clapton. So I saw Clapton doing Pink Floyd.....

Steve B

I saw the Pros and Cons Tour w/Clapton at the Meadowlands in NJ. You are right. EC pulled off Floyd with great success.

I saw Stevie Ray (from the second row) at an old chandeliered opera house in Worchester MA in like 82. He WAS incredible.

I saw Jack Bruce and Friends (w/Trower on lead guitar) open up for The Allman Brothers in 1980. (I think?). As much as I like the Allman Brothers, Trower blew them away.

Deep Purple was always amazing as a whole. I last saw them on the Perfect Strangers Tour. I would go see Richie's Rainbow and walk away less than wowed. Of course that could have been influenced by the concert party favors.:)

I remember seeing Alvin Lee solo, expecting very little and being floored by his tone and technique. I was expecting sheer speed and flash. I became a fan that day.

Roy Buchanan put on a great, great show. I saw him at a little club in Hampton Beach NH. He was a bit wired for his encore (I have NO IDEA how that happened:rolleyes:) and they finally had to pull the plug on him. He wasn't gonna stop.

I saw Warren Zevon completely solo, just him, a guitar, or piano and a harmonica. Utter Genius.

Writehooks 12-03-2013 09:33 PM

If I had to pick just one, it's the ultimate showman: Alice Cooper. Since 1971 I've attended 44 of his shows in Canada and the US, and he's never failed to deliver the goods in terms of sheer entertainment. Here's my top 5:

1. Alice Cooper
2. Rush
3. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
4. Warren Zevon
5. Rolling Stones

GrayGhost 12-04-2013 12:58 PM

Singers: Springsteen, Mellencamp, Johnny Cash, Neil Young

Band: Kinks/Beatles/Stones/CCR/E St Band (its not just Bruce)

Robextend 12-04-2013 01:43 PM

Classic: Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Modern - Jimmy Eat World

drmondobueno 12-04-2013 05:38 PM

Tom Waits
Country Joe McDonald
Chris Cornell - soundgarden/audioslave
Gotta include Hendrix

pariah1107 12-04-2013 09:54 PM

Favorite singers in bands:
Mark Lanegan , Screaming Trees
Layne Staley , Alice in Chains

Favorite singers that made bands:
Nick Drake
Billie Holiday

digdugdig 12-04-2013 10:39 PM

I have to agree on this one. Saw Alice Cooper in Munich in '75 or '76 (Welcome To My Nightmare), more for my date than the concert, at least at the time :D.
The show was unbelievable...very underated musicians ta boot but the show, props, dancers, etc.... the visual definitely rivaled the audio...unbelievable concert experience that I still haven't forgotten...easily the most entertaining "concert" that I've attended.
Took awhile but Emerson, Lake, and Palmer opened my eyes (or should I say ears) to different styles of music (classical, jazz, etc.) as a teen and over the years have become more appreciative of different styles of music. Rock 'n Roller first and foremost but....
I've come to love bluegrass...drink some brew and stomp yur feet...it's just flat out good time music (Like Grand Funk said...Footstompin' Music).
Not necessarily a favorite but a memorable experience...about 1992 at the "Pickle Barrel" in Killington, Vermont....Johnny Winter...remember it now as very "SRVish".
Quote:

Originally Posted by Writehooks (Post 1213203)
If I had to pick just one, it's the ultimate showman: Alice Cooper. Since 1971 I've attended 44 of his shows in Canada and the US, and he's never failed to deliver the goods in terms of sheer entertainment. Here's my top 5:

1. Alice Cooper
2. Rush
3. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
4. Warren Zevon
5. Rolling Stones

Blackie 12-13-2013 07:07 PM

Really like a lot of different bands

Pink Floyd
Eric Clapton
Van Halen

Enigma
Enya

Darius Rucker

too many to list

MikeGarcia 12-14-2013 02:01 PM

default new favorite singer

....when you spend a lot of time driving mobs of grand-daughters and their BFF's around the county , you eventually realize that you have inadvertently learned the lyrics to every Taylor Swift song ever written....not a bad thing I suppose....she's really quite good...

....personally though , when driving alone , I like to slip Joan Baez's '' Diamonds And Rust '' cassette into the dash of my ancient Buick Park Avenue and the miles just melt away....

Cardboard Junkie 12-14-2013 11:29 PM

Wildman Fisher

for a female Gretchen Parlato

GoldenAge50s 12-16-2013 03:14 PM

Nobody had a voice like Patsy Cline & Elvis is STILL KING!

Roy Orbison a close 2nd & if you never heard of Lonnie Donegan & his Skiffle Group you haven't lived!:)

Nervous Norvus & "Transfusion" --Greatest novelty record ever!

Jayworld 12-19-2013 11:18 AM

1. Kansas (have seen four times, last in 2012)
2. A.D.
3. Rush (have seen five times, last in 1996)
4. Stryper

byrone 12-19-2013 08:56 PM

Dire Straits/Mark Knopfler

Def Leppard

toppcat 12-20-2013 06:19 PM

Part and parcel to me:

Bad Religion - Greg Graffin
Social Distortion - Mike Ness
Lucero - Ben Nichols
Descendents - Milo Aukerman
Drag The River - Chad Price and Jon Snodgrass

I also like Sinatra a lot on the non R&R front. I'd probably have to include Muddy Waters as well.

ScottR81 12-23-2013 11:34 AM

1. Jonathan Davis- Korn
2. Lajon Witherspoon - Sevendust
3. Jon Crosby - VAST
4. Jim Morrison - The Doors
5. Axl Rose - Guns & Roses

tedzan 12-24-2013 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tedzan (Post 1211039)
Female Singer ...... Donna Summer

Male Singer(s) ...... Buddy Holly, Dean Martin, Roy Orbison

Band(s) (having seen both these groups live several times, it's tough to decide)

Dave Brubeck Jazz Quartet

or

The Chicago Transit Authority......otherwise known as Chicago

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...bumchicago.jpg
TED Z

I must add The Hollies ...... " He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother "

TED Z

Eric72 12-25-2013 02:35 PM

Favorite band: Metallica

Favorite singer: Frank Sinatra

Favorite musician: Joshua Bell

Guess I have an eclectic taste in music...:)

powderfinger 12-26-2013 07:21 PM

Neil Young

Whether it was with Buffalo Springfield, solo, Crazy Horse, CSNY, always thought provoking, socially conscious and equally adept accoustically or electronic. If anybody deserves one of those Kennedy Center medals, it's Neil.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World!

RichardSimon 12-31-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powderfinger (Post 1220720)
Whether it was with Buffalo Springfield, solo, Crazy Horse, CSNY, always thought provoking, socially conscious and equally adept accoustically or electronic. If anybody deserves one of those Kennedy Center medals, it's Neil.

Keep on Rockin' in the Free World!

CSN is going on tour in 2014 (I saw them in 2013, great show) and rumor has it that Mr. Y might be with them.

pariah1107 12-31-2013 03:39 PM

Saw Neil Young, Pearl Jam, & Blind Melon at the Gorge in George, Washington. Great show! Tragically, Blind Melon's lead singer Shannon Hoon died less than a year later. PJ played for two hours, finishing their set with Mark Arm (Mudhoney) joining them for a highly energized version of MC5's "Sonic Reducer". But Neil Young was the king of the show, absolutely awesome. Everyone joined in on "Rockin in the Free World" which closed out the show. One of the best shows I saw in the 90's.

Jim65 12-31-2013 10:31 PM

Band: TOOL

RichardSimon 01-01-2014 03:46 PM

I saw Billy Joel on New Years Eve at the Barclays Center Arena in Brooklyn.
It has been a while since he has done a solo concert in NYC.
He was great as he always has been.

alanu 01-02-2014 07:42 PM

Neil Young

Dan Fogelberg