Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Holy crap did these sell for a lot (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=79721)

Archive 01-09-2006 06:33 AM

Holy crap did these sell for a lot

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I cannot believe these prices:<br /><br />1926-29 EXHIBITS - HACK WILSON - HOF - PSA 5 – ROOKIE $414.99 <br />1926-29 EXHIBITS - PAUL WANER - HOF - PSA 6 – ROOKIE $493.88 <br />1926-29 EXHIBITS - PIE TRAYNOR - HOF - PIRATES - PSA 5 $155.09 <br />1926-29 EXHIBITS - LEFTY GROVE - HOF - PSA 6 - ROOKIE $461.00 <br />1926-29 EXHIBITS - JIMMY FOXX - HOF - PSA 5 – ROOKIE $666.00 <br />1926-29 EXHIBITS - MICKEY COCHRANE -HOF- PSA 6 – ROOKIE $338.33 <br /><br />

Archive 01-09-2006 07:01 AM

Posted By: <b>Paul</b><p>IMHO they are great cards, & under appreciated. Those are good prices for the seller. My 26-29 Gehrig portrait is one of my favorite cards.

Archive 01-09-2006 07:27 AM

Posted By: <b>Josh K.</b><p>I actually thought the foxx would go for much more - I knew of a few interested collectors and I figured that Hal would make a run at it as well since it is a higher grade than his current one.

Archive 01-09-2006 08:02 AM

Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>It looks like the scourge of the "Rookie" label has finally hit pre-war in full force. Have at it, bidders.<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive 01-09-2006 07:17 PM

Posted By: <b>tbob</b><p>I may be mistaken but I believe very few pre-war collectors care about "rookie cards" from the early 1900's. Probably enough that the handful will give spirited bidding but the vast majority is more concerned with other factors.

Archive 01-09-2006 07:19 PM

Posted By: <b>Brian</b><p>It just takes two...

Archive 01-09-2006 07:43 PM

Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p>I didn't look at the bidding patterns on those cards, so all I can offer is a gross generalization. In the past few months, I have noticed that pre-war "rookie" cards (as stated in their title) on eBay have two sets of serious bidders. There tends to be a group who have put in decent bids for an appreciating market and similar in price to what other "non-rookie" HOF cards from that set are selling for in similar condition. Then there are 2-3 bidders <b>substantially</b> higher than that group on their bids. These bids appear not to be based upon perceived condition scarcity or populations but instead appear to be related entirely to the "rookie" label attached to the card.<br /><br />As an HOF collector, I'm not bothered by this kind of bidding as I don't have to have a particular card to fill a hole in my collection in the overwhelming majority of cases. So I offer this more as an observation rather than sour grapes about how "none of the cards I could once buy are reasonably priced anymore!"<br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive 01-10-2006 05:59 AM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I monitor exhibits closely, since they are my primary collecting habit. Prices are way up across the boards on HOFers and better cards, mirroring the general rise of other 1920s cards.