Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   What is the most rare vintage baseball autograph? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246687)

CMIZ5290 10-25-2017 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1713921)
That is the name that came to mind when I saw the title. I'm sure there are plenty of others but I think he's the biggest name who's almost impossible to find. I heard it was because he was illiterate and didn't want or really even know how to sign.

Joss and Waddell....

btcarfagno 10-25-2017 05:38 PM

There are literally hundreds if not thousands of guys who played in the majors for whom there is not a single known example. Guys who played in the 1800's. Died in the 1800's. Played before 1920 in 10 games or less and died young.

If the OP could narrow the question down a bit in terms of HOF or by decade or whatever it would elicit more specific responses.

Tom C

Bored5000 10-25-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck9788 (Post 1713872)
is there any vintage players that did not or rarely signed autographs?

Nope. They all signed for Coach's Corner. ;)

r0ck8ott0m 10-25-2017 10:29 PM

I’m assuming the question would allude to well known, “popular” or HOF guys. The most expensive and hardest to find is a Josh Gibson. He too was illiterate and I am not sure there are more than 5 examples out there lol. He died at the age of 35 but the only examples are contracts from his career in Cuba.

drcy 10-25-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1714006)
Nope. They all signed for Coach's Corner. ;)

On the same ball even.

drcy 10-25-2017 10:52 PM

Off topic but of interest:

"The three most valuable autographs in the world are Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare and Button Gwinnett. 'Button Gwinnett?,' you say. An obscure Representative from the US State of Georgia, Gwinnett signed the 1776 American Declaration of Independence. The complete 'set' of all 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence is the most coveted in the autograph hobby, and Gwinnett's is by far of the rarest of the signatures with only ten in private hands. The complete set-- which includes George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson-- is valued at around US$1.5-2 million, with Gwinnett's signature making up more than half the value."

Republicaninmass 10-25-2017 10:57 PM

"The one of whom may not exist"

vintagerookies51 10-26-2017 08:07 AM

Definitely Joe Jackson considering he was illiterate... Heritage had one on display at the National and it was incredible

oldjudge 10-26-2017 09:12 AM

It’s amazing how many Joe Jackson autographs have popped up in the last five years. It’s almost as if Joe is still signing.

mybuddyinc 10-26-2017 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 1714014)
Off topic but of interest:

"The three most valuable autographs in the world are Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare and Button Gwinnett. 'Button Gwinnett?,' you say. An obscure Representative from the US State of Georgia, Gwinnett signed the 1776 American Declaration of Independence. The complete 'set' of all 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence is the most coveted in the autograph hobby, and Gwinnett's is by far of the rarest of the signatures with only ten in private hands. The complete set-- which includes George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson-- is valued at around US$1.5-2 million, with Gwinnett's signature making up more than half the value."

............... darn :( ......... you beat me. I was going to ask if Button Gwinnett ever played baseball.

He was shot dead in duel on May 16, 1777 (thus only living well less than a year after signing Declaration of Independence). His adversary was Lachlan McIntosh. You can look up more if interested, but basically, they were long time military and political foes that didn't like each other to much.

Both have streets named after them in Savannah .

.............. carry on :rolleyes: