Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   LOTG- Fall Virtual Preview (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=342316)

Schlesinj 11-05-2023 10:00 PM

LOTG- Fall Virtual Preview

Wow! A Punch Lloyd! To go with the bandaid box find.

Check your email all.

Schlesinj 11-05-2023 10:02 PM

mailchi.mp/loveofthegameauctions/invitation-to-preview-love-of-the-game-auctions-d9v7lggvyl?e=1da1c22285

MuncieNolePAZ 11-06-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schlesinj (Post 2386374)
Wow! A Punch Lloyd! To go with the bandaid box find.

Check your email all.

Wow! White whale with a unicorn tied to its back.

Chad

mrreality68 11-06-2023 09:01 AM

Absolutely another great auction and great selection

perezfan 11-06-2023 10:57 AM

The OP needs to insert a "T" into the subject title. :rolleyes:

Schlesinj 11-06-2023 12:47 PM

Oops, does anyone know how to fix titles. I have only edited the post itself.

brianp-beme 11-06-2023 12:54 PM

When you are on the edit screen, there is the 'Save' button that you use to make just an edit within the post. Next to this 'Save' button is a 'Go Advanced' button that if you click, not only allows you to change title, but also manage any photos you may have attached.

Brian

oldjudge 11-17-2023 12:39 PM

Is it just me or does the number of bids seem way down from prior auctions? With a little over a week to go there was almost a two hour break between bids this afternoon.

Snapolit1 11-17-2023 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2389607)
Is it just me or does the number of bids seem way down from prior auctions? With a little over a week to go there was almost a two hour break between bids this afternoon.

I have been wondering same thing, not LOTG particularly. I've seen a dearth of activity on numerous sites. Whie many people bid day 1-2, and then return at the end, it seems many auctions have really slowed down in activity. I couldn't belive some of the winning bid at Heritage with 24 hrs to go in their auctions. Startling. Where they closed is obviously another discussion.

There is a sh*tton of auctions out there right now. Who isn't running an auction currently.

toothcutter 11-17-2023 01:36 PM

gehrig rookie in partcular went cheap last night. maybe the market is softening

raulus 11-17-2023 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toothcutter (Post 2389617)
gehrig rookie in partcular went cheap last night. maybe the market is softening

I do think bidding wars on every item are no longer with us, which is a good thing.

And if you get lucky, your competitors will drop out early.

But there's still plenty of bidding wars out there.

Case in point: This piece where someone decided to push me pretty hard last night, to the extent that I had to overpay to get it:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c.../50065-80503.s

JeremyW 11-17-2023 02:12 PM

"I do think bidding wars on every item are no longer with us, which is a good thing."

I agree & think that might be due to dealers/flippers not being "in" on every auction lot thinking that they can move the item for more money next week.

BobbyStrawberry 11-17-2023 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 2389620)
"I do think bidding wars on every item are no longer with us, which is a good thing."

I agree & think that might be due to dealers/flippers not being "in" on every auction lot thinking that they can move the item for more money next week.

Great point. Maybe it will mean fewer items going immediately to ebay with BINs 4-5x the auction price

JeremyW 11-17-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2389621)
Great point. Maybe it will mean fewer items going immediately to ebay with BINs 4-5x the auction price

Dealers can't sit around forever waiting for a "find/deal" to come around.

molenick 11-17-2023 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 2389607)

I don't recall the activity rate of the last auction, but for me the auction is at the stage where I don't have any reason to bid. I have qualified and been outbid on all the lots I am interested in, but none of them have gone up to the point where if I don't get the next bid in, they will have gone past what I would be willing to pay. I will see how the bidding plays out and decide nearer the end which lots I will continue to bid on.

The only time I bid in the middle of the bidding period is if I notice a lot that I have not noticed before...which does sometimes still happen if I get a printed catalog. No matter how intently I look at the the online listing, I do sometimes see things I missed in the catalog.

Fred 11-17-2023 07:58 PM

Is it me or do some of the starting bids appear to be a level that could be considered "reserve" level opening bid requirements?

Jewish-collector 11-17-2023 11:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's say most of you have about (give or take) say a million dollars each year to bid in the auction houses. I can't figure how the hell you're able to manage everything without going crazy. You almost need a team of assistants to manage it. Attachment 597530Attachment 597530

Snapolit1 11-18-2023 06:53 AM

It will be interesting to see when eBay prices and card show prices move off of their Spring 2021 Covid sequestration highs. I’m not holding my breath it will be anytime soon.

oldjudge 11-19-2023 09:28 AM

Have others received their catalogs? I have not received mine yet.

Rhotchkiss 11-19-2023 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2389619)
I do think bidding wars on every item are no longer with us, which is a good thing.

And if you get lucky, your competitors will drop out early.

But there's still plenty of bidding wars out there.

Case in point: This piece where someone decided to push me pretty hard last night, to the extent that I had to overpay to get it:

https://sports.ha.com/itm/baseball-c.../50065-80503.s

I thought a number of items in Heritage went cheap. But, of course, not the things I wanted. At least my competitor completely overpaid for the one item I really wanted. And I thought the prices in Leland’s on the old stuff last night was very solid. Perhaps the more commodity-like cards are softening, but the rare stuff is not; at least not when I am bidding!

molenick 11-19-2023 10:38 AM

I have not received the LOTG or REA catalogs yet.

Al C.risafulli 11-19-2023 11:17 AM

Hi All:

Catalogs for LOTG dropped at the end of last week; mine arrived in New York Saturday, so I would think the bulk will arrive at their destinations Monday!

-Al

brianp-beme 11-19-2023 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli (Post 2389997)
Hi All:

Catalogs for LOTG dropped at the end of last week; mine arrived in New York Saturday, so I would think the bulk will arrive at their destinations Monday!

-Al

You get one mailed to yourself? I guess that would be comforting to know that the post office is doing their job.

Brian

Al C.risafulli 11-19-2023 12:38 PM

Quote:

You get one mailed to yourself?
Sure do. Our mailing lists are seeded with a number of names and addresses (and email addresses) so we can see how (and when) things are delivered.

Plus I like to settle in and read it when it's all done. :)

-Al

oldjudge 11-20-2023 10:24 PM

Got mine today—great job Al.