Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cutting Up Full Sheets-What do you think? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=80587)

Archive 03-27-2006 01:20 PM

Cutting Up Full Sheets-What do you think?

Posted By: <b>Scott</b><p>I will start with this-I personally believe that full sheets shouldn't be cut up-once something is cut up it can never go back together-I have read postings on other sites where guys were cutting up 1960s Bazooka boxes because a grading company didn't grade full boxes, so they wanted info on what the grading company looks for in a panel. Finding something in its "first" state of existence has to be the most valuable and collectible to me personally.<br /><br />I know this is a pre-war type site, but on the other hand I can see why some sheets are cut up. In 1967 and 68 Topps made sheets with round disc that where meant to be made into round buttons-this never materialized and a few full sheets made it to the public-owners have had these sheets cut up and it gives collecters a chance to get his/her favorite player-I am okay with this, because I couldn't afford a full sheet,and it gives me a chance to own a card that other wise I would have in my collection.<br /><br />The question is this: old judge auction has a sheet of 1921 Koester bread cards-if this was cut up into individual cards,they would have extremmely sharp corners and centering and grade very high???<br /><br />Will a grading company grade these?<br />How does agrading company determine the cut was made in 2006 and not 1921?<br />Do they mark them hand cut?<br />Has anyone cut up a sheet with great results?<br />Would it be totally foolish to cut this sheet?

Archive 03-27-2006 01:32 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Evanov</b><p>Will a grading company grade these?...yes, but they might just give them an auithentic grade<br /><br /><br />How does agrading company determine the cut was made in 2006 and not 1921?...careful analysis of the cut itself, paper, color etc can be revealing<br /><br /><br />Do they mark them hand cut?..only with certain issues [eg Post cereal]<br /><br />Has anyone cut up a sheet with great results?... Personally no, but I've heard stories.<br /><br />Would it be totally foolish to cut this sheet?... Yes, yes and yes.<br><br>Frank

Archive 03-27-2006 01:36 PM

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>Will a grading company grade these? Depends. Their standards and practices are inconsistent. <br />How does a grading company determine the cut was made in 2006 and not 1921? It doesn't; if the cards are typically found cut up (i.e., strip cards) and measure ok most will grade regardless of cut age; if not, most likely you will get a refusal to grade on the basis of trimming.<br />Do they mark them hand cut? Sometimes. PSA seems to do it more.<br />Has anyone cut up a sheet with great results? I cut down a W565 sheet and had two cards graded: Leonard SGC 80 Heilmann SGC 40. Both accurately. <br />Would it be totally foolish to cut this sheet? Yes. It will likely go so high that there is no profit in it.