Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Babe Ruth Cut Signature (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=160062)

Paulanthony 12-11-2012 01:28 PM

Babe Ruth Cut Signature

2 Attachment(s)
This was purchased at Skinners Auction several months ago by a very good friend of mine who knows nothing about autographs. The day before the auction we had a chance to preview the signature. I told my friend the signature looked to good to be true and he would be taking a great risk placing a bid on a Babe Ruth cut signature that was not authenticated. He liked the the PROVENANCE took a chance a won the cut. I was also with him the day he gave it to JSA. Spence told him in all the years he has been authenticating Babe Ruth this was with out a doubt the best he had ever seen. He went on to say that the babe had to be sitting down at a desk or table when he signed. This auction had two Babe Ruth cuts. Leland Auction House won the other one. Leland sent his to PSA, it was graded an 8
How would you compare the grade with Lelands PSA 8. And should my friend send his to PSA?

Attachment 80846 Leland Auction

jgmp123 12-11-2012 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulanthony (Post 1061541)
This was purchased at Skinners Auction several months ago by a very good friend of mine who knows nothing about autographs. The day before the auction we had a chance to preview the signature. I told my friend the signature looked to good to be true and he would be taking a great risk placing a bid on a Babe Ruth cut signature that was not authenticated. He liked the the PROVENANCE took a chance a won the cut. I was also with him the day he gave it to JSA. Spence told him in all the years he has been authenticating Babe Ruth this was with out a doubt the best he had ever seen. He went on to say that the babe had to be sitting down at a desk or table when he signed. This auction had two Babe Ruth cuts. Leland Auction House won the other one. Leland sent his to PSA, it was graded an 8
How would you compare the grade with Lelands PSA 8. And should my friend send his to PSA?

I would say the authenticity has some legs to it...without even looking at the signature, I found an article for a WW2 vet that matches the info in your letter. If you take a look, the age of the individual writing to Babe is accurate...

http://ns.gazettenet.com/2011/05/16/...58e69aef=gnews

isaac2004 12-11-2012 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paulanthony (Post 1061541)

Would you mind disclosing how much?

Deertick 12-11-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaac2004 (Post 1061552)
would you mind disclosing how much?

$3250

isaac2004 12-11-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1061554)
$3250

Yea went out to the site and saw that... pretty good pickup!

Paulanthony 12-11-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deertick (Post 1061554)
$3250

Between auction Fees and JSA ---- $4,000 into it.

chaddurbin 12-11-2012 02:31 PM

$4000 on a gut feel? your friend has some gamble! can't he just buy already authenticated cuts/3x5s for $2500-$3000 and save himself the hypertension?

Paulanthony 12-11-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1061569)
$4000 on a gut feel? your friend has some gamble! can't he just buy already authenticated cuts/3x5s for $2500-$3000 and save himself the hypertension?

He also placed several bids on the Ruth Leland won. And the same Auction he shelled out $2,800 for a 1ST ISSUE PLAYBOY MAGAZINE - DECEMBER 1953 MARILYN MONROE. Got it graded 5.5 sold it this week $4,500