Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

ricardoh 05-03-2016 07:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1534288)
Wow, those are some rarely seen logos on those mini-pennants. Really love the quirkiness and "off colors". Especially like the Reds Mascot... Is that a Policeman holding a Beer Stein? Must admit I've never even seen most of those.

Great post!

One of the things I love the most about the mini pennants, especially from the 30s, like the BF3's, are the color variations. These are 8inch and many of the teams have the same designs as their smaller versions. Here is an example of the Cleveland Indians and many of the colors it came in. I know more colors were made, too.

ricardoh 05-03-2016 07:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here is another one I almost forgot I had, from 1918, not as pretty as the others, but where you going to find another one? and more variations of some from the 40s. and 50s. for me, variations are the spice of life. in pennants, that is. ;) by the way, the last scroll pennant on the right in the bottom picture is a well made knockoff (I believe from the 80s) of the one next to it, too often mistaken as vintage, while it is not, although it is still collectible.

icollectDCsports 05-03-2016 09:35 PM

Wow! :eek:

perezfan 05-03-2016 10:28 PM

Double Wow!!

Never seen many of those and LOVE the color variations. That is a phenomenal collection of Sox Pennants. Gotta be the best to exist.

Are there any variations you're missing, or still trying to hunt down?

Tremendous!

ricardoh 05-04-2016 08:41 AM

I do have a lot more I could post but these are the best and my favorite ones. I've been going to shows around the country for 30 years as a dealer, about 8 shows a year, plus ebay is the river that never stops flowing, so have had a ton of opportunities to run into them over that long. And of course there are many I've never seen and many very old ones I have seen I don't have. Finding anything I don't have is great, of course; it doesn't get old!

ooo-ribay 05-04-2016 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just picked this up. Not fantastic shape but the price was right.

Question: The Giants won 3 pennants in the 1930s and 2 more in the 1950s. I usually see this pennant referred to as "1950s." Mike Egner's book says these are from the 1940s but I doubt that. Why is it this pennant couldn't be from the 1930s? The players certainly look of that era or earlier. :confused:

MK 05-04-2016 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1535257)

Question: The Giants won 3 pennants in the 1930s and 2 more in the 1950s. I usually see this pennant referred to as "1950s." Mike Egner's book says these are from the 1940s but I doubt that. Why is it this pennant couldn't be from the 1930s? The players certainly look of that era or earlier. :confused:

I've always believed the Cubs version of this pennant was from the 1930s rather than 1945 as Egner states. Have never been able to find proof, just a feeling.

phillies 05-04-2016 01:59 PM

Quote:

There is a Phillies version of that exact pennant and they only had one NL championship between 1915 and 1980, which was 1950. http://i.imgur.com/Cvd26pE.jpg

ricardoh 05-04-2016 02:03 PM

Quote:

my opinion is it is 50s. 30s pennants were usually with thicker felt, a thinner border, and often more like spaghetti tassles. very nice in any case!

MK 05-04-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardoh (Post 1535281)
my opinion is it is 50s. 30s pennants were usually with thicker felt, a thinner border, and often more like spaghetti tassles. very nice in any case!

Obviously, the Cubs version had to be from the 1930s or 40s, as 1945 was their last pennant. The most obvious answer is they were made over a period of many years. Maybe a checklist of all known pennants of this style would help.

Duluth Eskimo 05-04-2016 04:19 PM

Quote:

This is a 50's pennant. You can often tell (my opinion) by the makeup of the pennant itself as well as the font used in the team lettering. Anything from the 30's is generally more block style. This font was generally not used until the 50's. The Phillies pennant shown (very nice and tough pennant) is one of the last to use this style. This is a classic 40's style design. I have many Yankees pennants that use variations of these designs over the 30-50's years. I also have many photos with fans holding these pennants showing these designs. Personally I believe the dating of some of the style pennants in Mike's book to be a little off. This of course is my opinion, but drawn from many years of experience.

MK 05-04-2016 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1535320)
This is a 50's pennant. You can often tell (my opinion) by the makeup of the pennant itself as well as the font used in the team lettering. Anything from the 30's is generally more block style. This font was generally not used until the 50's. The Phillies pennant shown (very nice and tough pennant) is one of the last to use this style. This is a classic 40's style design. I have many Yankees pennants that use variations of these designs over the 30-50's years. I also have many photos with fans holding these pennants showing these designs. Personally I believe the dating of some of the style pennants in Mike's book to be a little off. This of course is my opinion, but drawn from many years of experience.

So do you think think the Cubs version is from the 1930s or 1945?

perezfan 05-04-2016 07:43 PM

I'd definitely say 1945 on that Cubs pennant. Just my opinion, but an educated one. I believe this style to have spanned from the mid forties through early fifties. About a 6-7 year span. I have also seen a Giants variation with a "1951" date.

MK 05-04-2016 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1535400)
I'd definitely say 1945 on that Cubs pennant. Just my opinion, but an educated one. I believe this style to have spanned from the mid forties through early fifties. About a 6-7 year span. I have also seen a Giants variation with a "1951" date.

You may be right Mark that it is 1945. But if so, I would have thought there would be a companion Detroit Tigers version and I have never seen one. That is one reason I always thought this was from 1938.

ooo-ribay 05-04-2016 08:51 PM

Good discussion.....

Duluth Eskimo 05-04-2016 09:19 PM

I agree with Mark. Definitely 1945. I have not seen a matching Tigers version either, but that is for sure 1945. All of those Cubs Post season are difficult pennants. A good number of the 30's and 1929 are dated or have both teams listed. This Cubs version is of the "newer" sort with more detailed graphics and generally multiple colors.

phillies 05-05-2016 06:58 AM

There are a few different versions of this pennant for the phillies. There is also a dodger one, which could be from 41, 47, 49 or 52...

http://imgur.com/a/8gZ2m

MK 05-05-2016 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1535417)
I agree with Mark. Definitely 1945. I have not seen a matching Tigers version either, but that is for sure 1945. All of those Cubs Post season are difficult pennants. A good number of the 30's and 1929 are dated or have both teams listed. This Cubs version is of the "newer" sort with more detailed graphics and generally multiple colors.

OK. 1945 it is.

ricardoh 05-05-2016 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 1535400)

I agree with all this. And just because a version was made for one team did not always mean an exacte version was made for the opposing team. Sometimes yes but not always. Until one is known, it cannot be assumed.

lefty147 05-05-2016 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardoh (Post 1535577)
I agree with all this. And just because a version was made for one team did not always mean an exacte version was made for the opposing team. Sometimes yes but not always. Until one is known, it cannot be assumed.

This is the biggest challenge estimating dates when pennants were made.

Duluth Eskimo 05-05-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty147 (Post 1535578)

Mike,
Hopefully you didn't take my comments as a slight on your book. It is very well done and has been quickly adapted as "the" price guide for pennants. It is very difficult to date many of these pennants as there were so many produced in these general templates without any dating to them.

MK 05-05-2016 01:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lefty147 (Post 1535578)

Would have been nice if they had put the year on all the pennant winner pennants!

lefty147 05-05-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo (Post 1535589)
Mike,
Hopefully you didn't take my comments as a slight on your book. It is very well done and has been quickly adapted as "the" price guide for pennants. It is very difficult to date many of these pennants as there were so many produced in these general templates without any dating to them.

Not at all. Thanks

hugginsandscott 05-05-2016 04:31 PM

Astros Pennant

Anyone ever seen this one?

http://s01.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=96567

We couldn't find it anywhere.
Thanks
Josh
Huggins and Scott

ooo-ribay 05-05-2016 04:54 PM

There was a recent discussion about that pennant. As I remember, someone had a chance to buy it as a flip.....

It may have been in this thread or maybe as a thread on it's own.

YankeeFan 05-05-2016 09:42 PM

League Champion pennants

Nice discussion on the various League Champion pennants guys. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and insights.

I have a Yankees one which I thought was from the 1930's. Now I'm not so sure. It does have block lettering, which Jason notes as one indicator of possible 30's vintage.
But other evidence clearly shows that this graphic was used over a number of years. Since the Yankees won several pennants in the 30's, 40's and 50's, it doesn't help to narrow down that range.
I just wanted to say that his discussion was very informative to me. I'm thinking probably 1940's for the one I have now.

71buc 05-06-2016 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow there are some amazing pennants in this thread. Thankfully my tastes are a bit more pedestrian and singular when it comes to pennants. This one represents an upgrade for my collection. For some reason this version and the 1971 World Champions black scroll pennant seem difficult to find in any condition.

mrkrab 05-06-2016 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugginsandscott (Post 1535632)

Thanks
Josh
Huggins and Scott

Here is the tigers version

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/XdAAAO...7Z/s-l1600.jpg

ooo-ribay 05-06-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkrab (Post 1535773)

Hmmmm...could there be a whole set? I think I've seen just about every SF Giants pennant ever made but I've never seen one in that style.

ricardoh 05-10-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugginsandscott (Post 1535632)

Thanks
Josh
Huggins and Scott

it is the Keezer version for the Astros.

ricardoh 05-10-2016 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1535893)
Hmmmm...could there be a whole set? I think I've seen just about every SF Giants pennant ever made but I've never seen one in that style.

yes Keezer often had their stamp on the back. They made them for every team in the 50s and 60s, also mini pennants for every team. They are distinguishable by the location of the tassles on the border and how thick and wide they are, also the type of felt, etc. A great set to put together and not at all easy to do.

perezfan 05-10-2016 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardoh (Post 1537225)
yes Keezer often had their stamp on the back. They made them for every team in the 50s and 60s, also mini pennants for every team. They are distinguishable by the location of the tassles on the border and how thick and wide they are, also the type of felt, etc. A great set to put together and not at all easy to do.

No kidding.... Might take a decade or more to put together that set!

thetahat 05-10-2016 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is almost a complete set, have a few others not pictured and also a weird Astros version, but still need the Browns and, assuming one was made, Colt 45s. These are some of my favorites, too, in particular Phillies and KC A's. Many of them were stamped on the back but some weren't.

ricardoh 05-11-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 1537470)
This is almost a complete set, have a few others not pictured and also a weird Astros version, but still need the Browns and, assuming one was made, Colt 45s. These are some of my favorites, too, in particular Phillies and KC A's. Many of them were stamped on the back but some weren't.

NICE!!
I am not sure a Browns was ever made; I suspect these were probably made after they went to Baltimore. Same story for Colt 45s. I don't know of a Keezer Colt 45 version I've ever seen and I would not bet one was ever made.
So I would say you own a complete set! Very nice, indeed!

ooo-ribay 05-11-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetahat (Post 1537470)

Are you sure the Astros is a Keezer? Because, obviously, the NY Giants and Brooklyn pennants would be 1957 or earlier while the Astros didn't come into existence until 1965. If the Astros is a Keezer, I would also expect an updated Giants and Dodgers.

ricardoh 05-12-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1537904)
Are you sure the Astros is a Keezer? Because, obviously, the NY Giants and Brooklyn pennants would be 1957 or earlier while the Astros didn't come into existence until 1965. If the Astros is a Keezer, I would also expect an updated Giants and Dodgers.

Yes I am sure the Astros is Keezer. The Brooklyn and NY Giants are in his picture. The SF Giants Keezer is pictured somewhere on this forum; it is not all that difficult. And I am trying to picture in my head what the LA Dodgers looks like but can't remember, but have to believe it was made.

ricardoh 05-12-2016 07:33 AM

I have a full set of Keezer minis (or believe I do) that I've accumulated over the years. I am thinking almost all of the graphics on the mini pennants match the graphics on the full size ones. But some may be different, can't remember for certain. And a couple teams have more than one variation.

I will take some pictures of those tonight and post them.

ooo-ribay 05-12-2016 12:31 PM

If anyone has a picture of the SF Giants Keezer, please post. Is it the orange one with sliding runner, catcher and ump?

thetahat 05-12-2016 04:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is a Keezer Browns, it is identical to this Keezer mini I have pictured. I've seen it for sale before fullsize (very rare) but didn't pull the trigger. My Keezer Astros is similar to the white one now up for auction by Huggins, but the only graphic is that of an astronaut. It is red cloth with white letters. And if my memory serves me correctly, I may have bought it many years ago from someone involved in this discussion! :)

thetahat 05-12-2016 04:52 PM

As someone who exclusively collects pennants, I am intrigued by the different styles, makers, etc. I really like the stadium pennants from the 50s and 60s. These date back to Ebbets and Polo Grounds up to the mid 60s. They had the artist's initials etched somewhere in the graphic and then a primitive trademark baseball in the later years. I think every team had a stadium version except for the Phillies, Mets, and Senators. And I wonder why that is the case. (I know the Mets have pennants with Shea depicted but that's not the same maker.)

Then there are the Ad Flag pennants which are really awful looking and look like they were cut with scissors. I have the Phillies one with the quaker batter and I got tired enough of looking at it that it is now buried in a drawer for good. I don't think they paid their art department a whole lot.

The Keezers, though, are very cool in their simplicity and are of high quality. Those tassels ain't falling out.

ricardoh 05-12-2016 06:11 PM

Keezer mini pennants

1 Attachment(s)
Here are all the Keezer mini pennants I have. There is a Colt 45s mini that I had at one time but no longer.

ricardoh 05-12-2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1538112)
If anyone has a picture of the SF Giants Keezer, please post. Is it the orange one with sliding runner, catcher and ump?

The full size SF Giants matches the mini, in the picture I just posted.

mrkrab 05-12-2016 08:29 PM

more keezer varations

http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/im...fc402dba7f.jpg
http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/im...7ace3ae52a.jpg
http://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/im...63671aa247.jpg

perezfan 05-12-2016 10:16 PM

Great discussion and pics! I have the St. Louis Browns full size version. If I can uncover it, I'll post a photo.

I agree that AdFlag pennants are cheaper looking. Their idiotic Brooklyn Bum is possibly the only Brooklyn Pennant I really don't like. Looks like a creepy child molestor.

ooo-ribay 05-13-2016 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardoh (Post 1538271)
The full size SF Giants matches the mini, in the picture I just posted.

Thanks. As I thought about it, that one came to mind as a Keezer possibilitu. I'll have to see if mine's stamped but I don't think it is.

perezfan 05-13-2016 08:48 AM

Quite a few of mine are not stamped. This has been a great discussion (with many thanks to Greg and Rick). I did not know many of those were Keezers.

Great stuff!

ricardoh 05-22-2016 02:13 PM

another one

1 Attachment(s)
I just picked this up, worked on getting this for several month, it is mint! 8 inches by 35 inches, the tip is perfect too, just the photo didn't catch it. has to be from the teens or early 20s

lefty147 05-22-2016 02:58 PM

That is sweet. Congrats.

WillowGrove 05-22-2016 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardoh (Post 1541847)
I just picked this up, worked on getting this for several month, it is mint! 8 inches by 35 inches, the tip is perfect too, just the photo didn't catch it. has to be from the teens or early 20s

I love it. Congrats on reeling it in!

vintagesportscollector 05-22-2016 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricardoh (Post 1541847)

That is fantastic.