Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Probstein Ebay Rollout (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235522)

Yoda 02-17-2017 10:29 AM

Probstein Ebay Rollout

Over the last day or so, Probstein has unleashed a hurricane of high value cards on an unsuspecting Ebay following, including '14 Cracker Jacks of Cobb and Jackson. No auctions that I can see only BIN's at steep prices. Still, if you got an early tax refund, and the better half doesn't know about it yet, it can't hurt to look. Right?

Republicaninmass 02-17-2017 10:40 AM

I had seen the same thing last week, and some turned to auctions after. Whole lotta eyeballs/shilling accounts to keep up the watch count

Stonepony 02-17-2017 10:53 AM

At this point my appetite for high value cards is at an all time low. I really question whether I can trust anything in this hobby. It's not a new revelation, but such a bummer.

yanksfan09 02-17-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stonepony (Post 1632198)
At this point my appetite for high value cards is at an all time low. I really question whether I can trust anything in this hobby. It's not a new revelation, but such a bummer.

Don't fret, go after the low grade beauties!

pokerplyr80 02-17-2017 05:32 PM

I saw them yesterday but just looked again today and they all seem to be gone.

Peter_Spaeth 02-17-2017 05:37 PM

Quote:

I feel your pain, my friend. I certainly have changed my buying in response to the infested waters.

CMIZ5290 02-17-2017 05:38 PM

Quote:

+1 big time....

irv 02-17-2017 06:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1632368)
I feel your pain, my friend. I certainly have changed my buying in response to the infested waters.

Not that I am a high value card purchaser, I'm far from it, but this sure has opened my eyes significantly. :eek:

clydepepper 02-17-2017 06:37 PM

Probstein is dead to me.

1952boyntoncollector 02-17-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

I see a lot of nice soaked cards.

nrm1977 02-17-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1632368)

I concur.

buymycards 02-18-2017 05:26 AM

Bins

I made an offer on one of his BINS and promptly received a very good counter offer, which I accepted.

I have some of his BIN's saved in my watch list, but they are not showing up in his store because he is gone through the 18th. The auctions are still running, and I'm guessing that his BIN's will be back up tomorrow.

Rick

Snapolit1 02-18-2017 06:37 AM

Good to see nobody will be bidding in the upcoming major auctions. Should be interesting to see all the no bid lots. Should be pretty remarkable.

Next week we may even see another 3 or 4 board members throw in the towel and get out of collecting all together ( . . . but not really go anywhere).

iowadoc77 02-18-2017 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1632468)
Good to see nobody will be bidding in the upcoming major auctions. Should be interesting to see all the no bid lots. Should be pretty remarkable.

Next week we may even see another 3 or 4 board members get out of collecting all together (but not really go anywhere).

Kind of getting this feeling as well. A real gray cloud over the hobby right now. Never been more happy with my "collector grade" collection. I will join you in eagerly perusing the spring auctions.
I agree with your thoughts but imagine many of those being hyper critical will still be bidding as per usual.

Leon 02-18-2017 07:14 AM

Yes, the 4 guys on this board not bidding on high end cards are going to change the waters. I predict record prices going forward, damn the torpedos.... (I am talking auctions, not BINs)

bnorth 02-18-2017 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1632479)
Yes, the 4 guys on this board not bidding on high end cards are going to change the waters. I predict record prices going forward, damn the torpedos.... (I am talking auctions, not BINs)

I sadly agree because most sellers are dishonest in some way and most buyers are sheeple that only care about getting the card. This get proven on a daily basis. Still honestly can't figure out why so few people care.:(

spaidly 02-18-2017 07:51 AM

Quote:

I feel the same way.

iowadoc77 02-18-2017 08:22 AM

Quote:

Unfortunate but true. Will be interesting to stay tuned. I don't think there is a better barometer of the hobby (pre-war that is) than this board. And the barometer has turned very cynical very fast. Battlefield, PWCC, Probstein, etc etc. lots of cynicism. Will wait and see I guess. I still absolutely love collecting. I think I still will for a long time. And I truly enjoy this board. Many many many great people. Thankful for the relationships I have developed. Thanks Leon for your tireless efforts to make this place what it is.

KingFisk 02-18-2017 09:03 AM

I spent a good part of the day reading that PWCC thread and felt like I needed a shower afterward. I have a few expensive cards but those are mostly low grade examples of iconic cards, so I am not really in the big leagues (call me a $50 collector) but that conversation was like a glass of cold water in the face. I love my collection and have invested quite a bit of money in it, and if nothing else that thread showed me that I should just spend more time enjoying what I have and spend a little less time on the hunt for bigger and better.

Bruinsfan94 02-18-2017 09:22 AM

I'm confused, can someone feel me in on the lack of optimism? What PWCC thread?

KingFisk 02-18-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bruinsfan94 (Post 1632563)
I'm confused, can someone feel me in on the lack of optimism? What PWCC thread?

The developments in the last 48 hours on this thread.
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=234837

Peter_Spaeth 02-18-2017 10:30 AM

Quote:

I think at least at the high end the future will continue to be a happy alliance of card doctors, TPGs, high rolling flip buyers, and sellers with soft ethics.

bigfish 02-18-2017 10:44 AM

Rick P

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1632458)
I made an offer on one of his BINS and promptly received a very good counter offer, which I accepted.

I have some of his BIN's saved in my watch list, but they are not showing up in his store because he is gone through the 18th. The auctions are still running, and I'm guessing that his BIN's will be back up tomorrow.

Rick

Same here. I have no issues with them.

Snapolit1 02-18-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1632600)
Same here. I have no issues with them.

Somehow a guy who is perceived to ask high prices and often won't come down much on his BINs has come to symbolize to many here everything that is wretched and horrible about the hobby. Maybe there is more history here that I'm missing.

I think Shake Shack sells overpriced burgers and I don't care to go there but they don't personify everything bad in the world.

campyfan39 02-18-2017 11:40 AM

For those of us concerned and interested but not able to read through 40+ pages can someone summarize? Thank you

Snapolit1 02-18-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by campyfan39 (Post 1632615)
For those of us concerned and interested but not able to read through 40+ pages can someone summarize? Thank you

Some people mess with cards that are worth a lot of money to try to get more money.

iowadoc77 02-18-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1632620)
Some people mess with cards that are worth a lot of money to try to get more money.

And people are grumpy (understandably so) and another in depth onversation about shill bidding. Well summarized.

KingFisk 02-18-2017 12:53 PM

With serious accusations leveled against a major, major eBay player with text messages offered as back up to the claims. It's worth a read if you have the time, though there is way too much noise with a few people calling each other idiots that you'll tune out after awhile. Also, I'd be remiss not to mention the birth of the term "$20 collector," which has spun off into its own thread.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk