Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are you or have you ever gone through a hoarding phase (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=243944)

OsFan 08-21-2017 09:43 AM

Are you or have you ever gone through a hoarding phase

I'm talking vintage card hoarding, pre 1975 or so. The desire to have a massive inventory of vintage cards has always been a huge draw for me. I'm not even sure why. If you are now or have been down that path before how'd it work out for you?

Fballguy 08-21-2017 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OsFan (Post 1692959)
I'm talking vintage card hoarding, pre 1975 or so. The desire to have a massive inventory of vintage cards has always been a huge draw for me. I'm not even sure why. If you are now or have been down that path before how'd it work out for you?

I'm in one now....Not for cards, but for pennants. It's like I'm hoarding for the apocalypse and think these will be the best form of currency once Mad Max becomes president. I keep telling myself to dial it back a notch, but then I find another "deal too good to pass up". :)

rats60 08-21-2017 04:58 PM

I was hoarding Clemente Rookies until they passed 100.00.

Mdmtx 08-21-2017 04:59 PM

I'm hoarding n173's. I'm upto 2.

buymycards 08-21-2017 05:07 PM

Yes

I keep buying items to list on eBay and items to sell at shows, but I haven't listed anything on eBay for over a year and I only set up at 1 or 2 small shows per year, so I am accumulating quite a hoard of 50's, 60's, and 70's cards, plus a ton of prewar baseball and non sports cards. I enjoy accumulating cards much more than I enjoy selling them.

CurtisFlood 08-21-2017 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buymycards (Post 1693124)
I keep buying items to list on eBay and items to sell at shows, but I haven't listed anything on eBay for over a year and I only set up at 1 or 2 small shows per year, so I am accumulating quite a hoard of 50's, 60's, and 70's cards, plus a ton of prewar baseball and non sports cards. I enjoy accumulating cards much more than I enjoy selling them.

I'm with you Rick, but I don't have the bankroll not to do more shows than that. Have to sell off the little guys so I can buy more.

drmondobueno 08-21-2017 06:39 PM

Yes.

bnorth 08-21-2017 07:46 PM

Not vintage but I am a serious hoarder of 1989 Fleer Bill Ripken and Randy Johnson error variations. That sickness even includes cards with the most minor print defect.:D

darwinbulldog 08-22-2017 12:01 PM

C'mon, what kind of a collector would I be if I answered no?

frankh8147 08-22-2017 02:45 PM

I am right now. Every few years, I trim down my collection with a big sale (always keeping my favorites). My justification for this is, if I ever run into a situation where I need some money, I have cards to sell that wouldn't break my heart to part with.

Snapolit1 08-22-2017 09:09 PM

I never have. I just hate having stuff lying around that I'm not really into. Have spent last year getting rid of stuff I bought on impulse but really am not really into. Not a hoarder.
Different strokes,

clydepepper 08-23-2017 08:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I did. I don't know what I was thinking. Even though the card in question was produced prior to the big 'card explosion' (post 1980), I should have know better.

I topped out at 42 copies and am now down to 10 of this only one graded):

Attachment 285025

ullmandds 08-23-2017 08:23 AM

whenever I've tried "hoarding" it blew up in my face...usually tougher commons.

Leon 08-29-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1693605)
I never have. I just hate having stuff lying around that I'm not really into. Have spent last year getting rid of stuff I bought on impulse but really am not really into. Not a hoarder.
Different strokes,

I have a few buckets/boxes of odds and ends I need to get rid of too. Last time I sent everything to a friend in San Antonio that loves doing ebay stuff, jonstats (sp?)....He paid a handsome price and my subtraction became an addition. Or as we called it, addition by subtraction.

All collecting is hoarding, sort of.. but that hasn't really been my downfall, yet.

sreader3 08-29-2017 06:15 PM

When I was a teenager I had the brilliant idea to hoard 1987 Topps Will "The Thrill" Clark rookies. Had (still have) 20 of them. Modern rookies were all the rage and Clark was a sure-fire Hall of Famer -- or so it seemed at the time. Paid an average of about $4. Cheap lesson for $80.

clydepepper 08-29-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1695987)
I have a few buckets/boxes of odds and ends I need to get rid of too. Last time I sent everything to a friend in San Antonio that loves doing ebay stuff, jonstats (sp?)....He paid a handsome price and my subtraction became an addition. Or as we called it, addition by subtraction.

All collecting is hoarding, sort of.. but that hasn't really been my downfall, yet.

Didn't Mickey Rooney say that...?

-

NiceDocter 08-29-2017 11:24 PM

Theres only 2 kinds of card collectors..... admitted hoarders and those in denial

frankbmd 08-30-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 1696070)
Theres only 2 kinds of card collectors..... admitted hoarders and those in denial

Those who collect cards are obsessed to be sure, but OCD can and should be subdivided.

Set collectors need every card (and sometimes variations) to complete a set. They are suffering chaseaholics. Abstinence usually results in temporary relief, but not a long term cure.

Hoarders, on the other hand, focus on a single card for a variety reasons:

1. In an effort to corner the market and affect pricing before selling - T206 Titus? - Hoarding for profit

2. In an expectation that future achievements of the player will affect pricing resulting in profit - Will Clark or Aaron Judge are future HOFers - speculative hoarding.

3. Their great-grandfather played ball and they liked him - familial hoarding.

4. Refractory congenital disease - Most children who stutter get over it. These hoarders just keep repeating the same purchase over and over and over for no apparent reason - congenital hoarding.

Finally and much rarer I believe would be the combination of the chaseaholic and hoarder, who hoard complete sets. However these individuals usually sell the first set and then proceed to collect the same set again. These individuals tend to frequent communal message boards, such as Net54, to soothe their anxiety in group therapy.

If you have read this post, in all likelihood you know which group you are in.;)

Touch'EmAll 08-30-2017 09:09 AM

Hoarding teeth

Still looking to grab a hoard of one nice Ted Williams - 1940, 41 or 48. But my father in law seemed to think I had a lot (too many) of 5+ inch Megalodon teeth.

Leon 09-01-2017 05:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1696127)
Those who collect cards are obsessed to be sure, but OCD can and should be subdivided.

Set collectors need every card (and sometimes variations) to complete a set. They are suffering chaseaholics. Abstinence usually results in temporary relief, but not a long term cure.

Hoarders, on the other hand, focus on a single card for a variety reasons:

1. In an effort to corner the market and affect pricing before selling - T206 Titus? - Hoarding for profit

2. In an expectation that future achievements of the player will affect pricing resulting in profit - Will Clark or Aaron Judge are future HOFers - speculative hoarding.

3. Their great-grandfather played ball and they liked him - familial hoarding.

4. Refractory congenital disease - Most children who stutter get over it. These hoarders just keep repeating the same purchase over and over and over for no apparent reason - congenital hoarding.

Finally and much rarer I believe would be the combination of the chaseaholic and hoarder, who hoard complete sets. However these individuals usually sell the first set and then proceed to collect the same set again. These individuals tend to frequent communal message boards, such as Net54, to soothe their anxiety in group therapy.

If you have read this post, in all likelihood you know which group you are in.;)

Sell their first set and then collect the same thing again, NEVER!!

ajjohnsonsoxfan 09-01-2017 07:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does this count?

rfurnish 09-01-2017 07:58 PM

Maybe....I mean ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Well, to be honest, yes.

insidethewrapper 09-01-2017 08:24 PM

A.J. - Your a hoarder but with really "good taste ". Or you have a lot of $$$, or did have a lot of $$$, most certainly will someday have a lot of $$$$ when you sell these.

ValKehl 09-01-2017 08:35 PM

Nah, because they aren't all the same card! :D

ajjohnsonsoxfan 09-01-2017 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insidethewrapper (Post 1696986)
A.J. - Your a hoarder but with really "good taste ". Or you have a lot of $$$, or did have a lot of $$$, most certainly will someday have a lot of $$$$ when you sell these.

Mike wish I could say I had the foresight or the fat wallet to amass all these bad boys! Thought everyone would get a kick out of this if you hadn't already seen this pic floating around. I found on the CU msg boards.

Gotta hand it to this guy...he's the true Cobb Father!

z28jd 09-02-2017 11:30 AM

I have 41 Old Judge cards of the same player, but one hasn't come up for sale in almost two years. That makes me think that other people are hoarding them and I'm just the collector trying to add to my collection :(

drcy 09-02-2017 12:12 PM

I never hoarded, nor am a hoarding personality, but did sell off my photograph collection some years back because I realized it had been sitting on a table without me looking at it for a couple of years.

People would be amazed how little I own now.

z28jd 09-02-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sreader3 (Post 1696003)
When I was a teenager I had the brilliant idea to hoard 1987 Topps Will "The Thrill" Clark rookies. Had (still have) 20 of them. Modern rookies were all the rage and Clark was a sure-fire Hall of Famer -- or so it seemed at the time. Paid an average of about $4. Cheap lesson for $80.

If you hold onto them long enough, maybe Tim Carroll will help you get your $80 back. He just did a huge piece that was all 1987 Topps, so there's a start. He just needs to stay busy for another 20 years and you'll be all set.