Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T3 soaking? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=175668)

JollyRoger 09-11-2013 03:53 PM

T3 soaking?

I did a search of the archives, but didn't find much about soaking of T3's. I've soaked quite a few issues before with positive results, never tried a T3, but I have one I'd like to try. I'm assuming everything will work out, but just wondered if anyone has tried these before, or could point me in the direction of a previous thread which may help out. I agree with the member who started the thread about having a list of soakable cards.

71buc 09-12-2013 01:48 AM

I've limited my soaking efforts to low end playballs and Goudeys. I lack the courage to take a T3 for a swim. I really don't think that the thicker paper stock would fair well.

SMPEP 09-12-2013 09:40 AM

I'd be cautious on this one too

I have no knowledge soaking a T3, and would totally defer to someone who has done this before, but in theory I have to say I agree with the post above. The thickness of the cardboard would make me very leary of trying to soak a T3. You'd also need a good set up to press it to prevent warping. Just doesn't seem like a good candidate to me.

If you decide to do it though ... please report out to us to let us know how it turned out.

Cheers,
Patrick

frankbmd 09-12-2013 10:04 AM

T3 Wiping

I totally agree with concerns about the thickness of the stock and have not tried to soak a T3, but..........

I did purchase the card shown below with an unusual white cloud behind the sliding runner abutting the right border. On closer inspection there was lettering from a checklist back associated with the cloud suggesting a WST. I thought the cloud could be actual paper from the wet sheet transfer.

So..........I wiped the cloud (actually the whole front) with a damp cloth and low and behold the cloud began to lift, not like a scrapbook page as a sheet, but it just slowly seemed to vaporize. The end result is seen in the second scan, not perfect, but a helluva a lot better.;)

The rest of the grime and sludge on the front of the card was essentially unchanged. I would expect that physically attached water based glue residue might be amenable to similar removal with a damp cloth.

ethicsprof 09-12-2013 11:38 AM

t3

I've found the T3 paper to be quite fragile at the corners particularly which makes me
treat every T3 very gently 'til they're framed. For me, soaking seems too much to do these turkey red beauties.
all the best,
barry

JollyRoger 09-12-2013 03:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks all for the input. I have a few with glue spots on the backs, the fronts are decent, overall in poor-fair condition. I think I'll try dabbing the glue spots with a damp paper towel or cotton swab and see what happens. I was hesitant to give the entire card the plunge, I'm glad I inquired here first. I've included a scan of one of the cards, they all have the same 5 glue spots on the back (4 corners and center). I'll post some scans after I try removing the residue. (Scan is actually a t9 back, but they all have the same glue spots)