Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Tips for Ebay Sellers - An Imaging Primer (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183673)

frankbmd 02-20-2014 04:59 PM

Tips for Ebay Sellers - An Imaging Primer

The following images were culled from Ebay in one day (yesterday) and are presented here today, not to out the auctions, but to instruct sellers on how they may improve their bottom line. There is no intent to embarrass anyone who may be a board member or a lurking seller. Primers should be both constructive and instructive. Lets begin.

LESSON #1 - The DARKIE

The image below was taken in a dark room without the benefit of light. This technique may make it difficult to see subtle defects in the card.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...738/the-darkie

LESSON #2 - The SHADOW

This image is consistently replicated in this seller's listings. By placing himself between the light source and the card he is able show himself as well as a nameless shadow. The casual observer might interpret the shadow as a stain on the card.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...737/the-shadow

LESSON #3 - The FLASH FLAW

This image is created by someone who has completed the first two lessons successfully. To avoid both the DARKIE and the SHADOW he is using a flash attachment on his camera. The resultant uneven lighting could be distracting but in this case highlights an area of lost reflective gloss on the front of the card.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...744/flash-flaw

LESSON #4 - The FLOORING and CARPET

By moving the item further from the camera some sellers are able to give a better image of their hardwood floors and carpet than of the card.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...oor-and-carpet

LESSON #5 - The BACKLIT OVERSIZED HOLDER

This image has multiple endearing qualities. Backlighting offers the return of the SHADOW, this time highlighted by an oversized reflective holder that should not be necessary in the absence of a numerical grade. As a result the actual card is reduced even further in size without even showing the floor and carpet.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...ersized-holder

LESSON #6 - The CROPLESS MICRO

Lets face it, the majority of scanner beds are larger than tobacco cards. Cropping a scan to enhance the detail of a card for sale would seem to be obvious, but it is not as demonstrated here.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...cropless-micro

LESSON #7 - The STACKED SHOT

Piling up cards in the same lot of an auction could impair the evaluation of the cards underneath. Although this example is not egregious, one wonders what Mr. Pastorius is hiding. Also the more cards shown in one image tends to create a collage of CROPLESS MICROS.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...9/stacked-shot

LESSON #8 - The GREAT LOOKING CARD

The description of the card should bear some correlation to the appearance of the card. Although the image below is correctly identified as a reproduction, the description of the card states that it is "great looking". I would maintain that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images.../great-looking

That's all for now class. Happy Selling.

Stonepony 02-20-2014 05:21 PM

Thanks Frank, stuff! I've also never understood those crazy angled shots

jerrys 02-20-2014 05:51 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Here's a few that need improvement:

Mikehealer 02-20-2014 06:00 PM

Frank, must have been a busy day.:)

CW 02-20-2014 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
LOL! A classic Frank post. :D

And lest we not forget, as Dave mentions, The Angle, reminiscent of the opening credits to Star Wars (the seller of the Bob Gibson card utilizes the rarely seen, often overlooked Angle With a Twist):

steve B 02-20-2014 06:24 PM

I've looked at #3 a few times. The card looks good, but shouldn't have gloss like that. I think it's shellacked, so I'm glad the pic at least shows some gloss.

I'm hoping the next session will include the resize either larger or smaller to make the image as pixelated as possible.

Steve B

sebie43 02-20-2014 06:29 PM

lol bad lighting cards are always a gamble sometimes you get a steal from other buyers backing off. others not. :cool:

Bocabirdman 02-20-2014 07:08 PM

The Bresnahan scan has cost the seller a fair amount of cash. Back when it was listed for the first time it was listed at twice the money it is listed for today. The spotlighted stain has put off buyers for months now.:eek:

ullmandds 02-20-2014 07:16 PM

Nice Frank!!!! But if it weren't for the photographically/scan challenged sellers out there...where would the bargains to be found?

Jeffrompa 02-20-2014 08:05 PM

If you are selling cards don't you think you should own a scanner ?

midwaylandscaping 02-20-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeffrompa (Post 1244435)
If you are selling cards don't you think you should own a scanner ?

That's my thought as well :rolleyes:

Ronnie73 02-20-2014 09:11 PM

I must include a lesson too. It makes me nuts when there is no back scans. If you don't want to show a back scan, at least give details. Especially when the back can contain many different possible advertising backs. Please list the back type, the subject, and the factory numbers. Now this is mostly for T205 and T206 cards but other cards have back variations too. Don't assume the PSA or SGC label has the details we need because they don't. It saves me the time to ask and you the time to answer. Now most guys here do show the back scans with details so it doesn't apply to you but this is for the guys who don't think it matters or don't take the time to list details. Just trying to help both of us. Thanks.

Jantz 02-20-2014 10:04 PM

Frank

What about Lesson #9 which is titled "Cover & Concealment"?

Did you forget about Honus and the Hand Lotion bottle?

Jantz C. Morey

(I added my middle initial so no one would confuse me with any other Jantzs on the board.) ;)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-21-2014 06:17 AM

This is a pretty great thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frankbmd 02-21-2014 07:13 AM

LESSON #9 - The OFF CENTER

This seller tried very hard to keep his dirty fingers out of the image as evidenced by the correction he made in his technique when imaging the back.;)

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...older/15813/oc

LESSON #10 - The PHANTOM SLAB

Probably not worthy of inclusion in this course, but it almost looks like the seller is holding a raw card behind an empty slab to make it more desirable. If that were the case, his choice of GMA misses the mark.

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...lder/15814/gma

I'll keep this lesson short as it may be a snow day for some of you.:eek:

deucetwins 02-21-2014 07:23 AM

Article written a couple of years ago that this thread reminded me of.

Better photos help preserve hunting memories

Author: BRYAN HENDRICKS
ARKANSAS DEMOCRAT-GAZETTE

Article Text:
Deer season is all about memories, and the best way to preserve a memorable hunt is with photography.

Here at the Pine Thicket Bureau, we always look forward to deer season because of all the photos we get from fellow hunters who allow us to share their accomplishments with our readers. We mostly get photos of youths who have taken their first deer. There's joy in those photos that transcends words, and we regard each picture as a snapshot capturing the genesis of a lifelong journey. We also recognize our repeat visitors. After all these years, they're kind of like family.
Of course, there's a big difference between snapshots and photographs. You can tell them when you see them, especially when they're side by side on the Outdoors page. The difference is just a little extra time and preparation. With a little effort, you can create a keepsake image worthy of the event. High-resolution cameras in iPhones and other cellular devices allow anyone to take color photos that are suitable for publication in most magazines. Best of all, it's easy.
Composing the pho! to is the key. This entails putting the hunter and trophy in an attractive setting that's free of clutter. We often get photos that were clearly afterthoughts. The deer is sprawled out in the bed of a battered old pickup with its head flat on the tailgate, tongue hanging out and blood splattered everywhere. That's a typical hunting snapshot, and I respect its authenticity. Others in my profession consider publishing such photos a mortal sin because they believe it'll offend antihunters and alienate neutral nonhunters. They denounce gory photos roundly in seminars at outdoor writer conventions.
Then again, everything on the Outdoors page offends anti-hunters. There's no placating them, and we're not inclined to try. We know for a fact that many nonhunters read the Outdoors page, and we're grateful they find other things here that they enjoy.
Even so, a little TLC will turn the "bloodbath" photo into an attractive keepsake. First, put the deer on the ground. Remove excess blood and try to stuff the tongue back in the mouth. Pay attention to the background. Colorful foliage makes a beautiful foundation and provides a seasonal perspective. A blaze of orange, red or yellow in the background is unmistakably autumnal.
In turkey season, we really like photos that show dogwoods in bloom. It's also nice to have a site-specific element in the background that shows where the photo was taken.
The subject should position a buck's head by pulling it up by the antlers. If it's a doe, position its head by manipulating the head under the cheeks. To make antlers look bigger and more dramatic, you can lie on the ground and shoot upward. Position the hunter's head clearly within the antler spread. Make sure none of the tines appear to be picking the hunter's nose, and no trees or utility poles are sprouting from his head. Remove 5-gallon buckets, corn sacks, drink cans, liquor bottles, plastic bags, greasy rags, chains and anti-freeze jugs from the frame, as well.
Take the cigarette out of your mouth, and remove caps or garments that express overly personal or off color messages.
Lighting is crucial for making great images. The soft, saturated light of early morning and early evening are best. It makes blaze orange really pop, makes a deer's coat and antlers shine golden, and really brightens a nice background. In low light, use a flash. No matter what, make sure the hunter and trophy are in focus.
There are people who examine outdoors pictures for violations. They count fish on stringers and they notice expiration dates on boat registration stickers. For that reason, we recommend hunters wear their orange garments while posing with their trophies.
Duck season started yesterday, so we'll soon be publishing duck hunting photos. It's a misguided tradition for one duck hunter to pose with multiple limits of ducks, even though four or five hunters actually shot the birds.
That's the photo you take if you want to meet your local wildlife officer.
Good luck, and keep'em coming.

steve B 02-21-2014 07:33 AM

Error:
servlet57c:
Your search session has expired.
Please make sure that cookies are enabled on your browser, then return to the search page and try again.
Please note that bookmarking of pages within the archive is not supported.

brianp-beme 02-21-2014 07:34 AM

Dirty finger man selfie

1 Attachment(s)
I have been meaning to post about this selfie selling technique...I think it has inspired me to sell on ebay by taking a photo of the card resting on my face to serve as a suitable background.

Brian

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 02-21-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1244533)
I have been meaning to post about this selfie selling technique...I think it has inspired me to sell on ebay by taking a photo of the card resting on my face to serve as a suitable background.

Brian

If you don't but his card then he will find you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterose4hof 02-21-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1244389)
LOL! A classic Frank post. :D

And lest we not forget, as Dave mentions, The Angle, reminiscent of the opening credits to Star Wars (the seller of the Bob Gibson card utilizes the rarely seen, often overlooked Angle With a Twist):

The Angle With a Twist is priceless! (Sounds like something an Olympian would do)

Great thread Frank! Thanks for the laughs.

ooo-ribay 02-21-2014 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
another, somewhat less common problem, is the ol" "nude reflection in the mirror" syndrome (upper left)

Paul S 02-21-2014 01:02 PM

Well, at least the table is set quite nicely. Great audio equipment and bar cart as well.

Leon 02-24-2014 08:29 AM

Great stuff Frank. We could all learn a thing or two about selling from this thread.

frankbmd 02-24-2014 08:51 AM

LESSON #11 - DEEP POCKETS

Some sellers use this technique to flaunt their wealth. Don't place low-ball bids with these guys.:eek::D

Extra Credit: What other lessons are evident in this image? Hint there are 3.;)

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...15942/wealth-1

Paul S 02-24-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1245773)

1) Flash Glare Makes Quarter Appear Copper
2) Reflections Show Shroud Of Shoeless Joe
3) Never Use An Aerosol To Dust Beautiful Laminate Flooring

frankbmd 03-02-2014 01:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
LESSON #12 - FALSE ADVERTISING

I know these cards are old, but I am quite sure this one is AD and not BC.;)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-04-2014 01:11 PM

Keep up the good work Frank.

howard38 03-11-2014 08:47 PM

Good stuff, Frank. I plan to sell some cards soon but am a complete novice at posting scans and, in fact don't even have a scanner. I'd like to buy a combo printer/scanner due to limited space but am not sure what I need. What specs should I be looking for and does anyone know of an affordable model that would be suitable? Thanks!

Howard

thecatspajamas 03-11-2014 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howard38 (Post 1252962)
Good stuff, Frank. I plan to sell some cards soon but am a complete novice at posting scans and, in fact don't even have a scanner. I'd like to buy a combo printer/scanner due to limited space but am not sure what I need. What specs should I be looking for and does anyone know of an affordable model that would be suitable? Thanks!

Howard

There have been several threads on recommended scanners. One thing that has been common in all of them is that most combo printer/scanners are absolute crap for scanning cards in slabs. Just do your research before you pick up anything, and be sure to get one that has a CCD element as you will need something that can scan with some "depth" to pick up slabbed cards properly.

howard38 03-12-2014 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecatspajamas (Post 1253003)
There have been several threads on recommended scanners. One thing that has been common in all of them is that most combo printer/scanners are absolute crap for scanning cards in slabs. Just do your research before you pick up anything, and be sure to get one that has a CCD element as you will need something that can scan with some "depth" to pick up slabbed cards properly.

Thanks, Lance. I did a search for scanner/printer threads but got so many hits that were not relevant that I gave up. A scanner w/a CCD element is also the advice I received from Frank in a PM so I'm definitely going w/that. Good to know that the combo units are garbage as well.

tschock 03-12-2014 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howard38 (Post 1253025)
Good to know that the combo units are garbage as well.

To clarify, and stress what Lance said. Combo units are garbage for SLABBED cards but still can work quite well for flat items. Most of the crappy photos / scans shown above would have come out just fine on even a low-end combo unit. I get better scans off of my combo unit for flat items than I see posted on many auction sites.

howard38 03-12-2014 08:43 AM

That's good to know, Taylor, as I only have a couple of graded cards to sell. I still may opt for separate units but do you of any combo units that would be suitable?

tschock 03-12-2014 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by howard38 (Post 1253082)
That's good to know, Taylor, as I only have a couple of graded cards to sell. I still may opt for separate units but do you of any combo units that would be suitable?

Sorry, I really don't. I bought a Dell V305 a few years ago for like $30-$35 (not even sure if these are still available) but I'm sure there's looks of comparable units. Low grade cards, but here's an example of the kind of detail I can get with the V305 (default settings).

thecatspajamas 03-12-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Thanks, Lance. I did a search for scanner/printer threads but got so many hits that were not relevant that I gave up. A scanner w/a CCD element is also the advice I received from Frank in a PM so I'm definitely going w/that. Good to know that the combo units are garbage as well.

I don't know if ALL combo units are trash, but I've never seen one that had a CCD element, and without that your slabbed card scans will look out of focus regardless of how well the scanner performs otherwise.

I personally have/use 3 different Epson scanners and have been pleased with all of them. The Epson Perfection 3490 is my workhorse (I've burned through 2 and am on my 3rd now), and though they don't make them any more, you can usually pick them up cheaply second-hand. I don't think I've ever paid more than $50 for one (including shipping).

I also have a Mustek ScanExpress 1200 flatbed, which is great for oversized items (11.7"x16.5" scanning bed), but does have a CIS element, so it's only good for flats. It has also stopped responding lately, I think because the sensor that wakes it up when the lid is opened has gone out, but I rarely use it and haven't dedicated time to sussing out the real problem. Otherwise, it acts as a base for my Epson to sit on my desk :)

howard38 03-12-2014 03:54 PM

Thanks guys, I think I've got plenty of info to work w/now. I Probably am going to go w/separate units. My last question is if it makes a difference that I use a Mac? Are all or most scanners compatible w/both Macs and PCs?

frankbmd 03-19-2014 04:38 PM

LESSON #13 - HAWAIIAN SHIRT TRICK

Go to Honolulu to buy a shirt and I bet you can't find one that isn't marked 50% off. Works for cards too or does it?

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...an-shirt-trick

This card is marked down 44% on Ebay, but alas no bidders.

CW 03-19-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Here you go (if you use the advanced search you can search for the word "scanner" in titles only, which will give you threads to check out)...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169880

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163471

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144776

frankbmd 03-20-2014 08:27 AM

LESSON #14 - WHERE'S WALDO?

Students in the course will immediately recognize the flaws in this image described in LESSONS #6, #7 & #9

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...3/wheres-waldo

However there is another very important lesson to be learned here as the image above is the sole image in an auction for the T206 card of Tom Jones. Where's Tom (Waldo)? I see Doc, Red, Davy, Bobby, Jake. Sammy and Frank. I guess if you've seen one Jones, you have seen them all.:eek::D

BlueSky 03-20-2014 09:41 AM

Where's Waldo can also be employed to use the Stand Out in a Crowd technique by using lower graded cards around the actual card for sale.

A few of my old girlfriends appeared to use the technique when they went out together.

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1256387)
LESSON #14 - WHERE'S WALDO?

Students in the course will immediately recognize the flaws in this image described in LESSONS #6, #7 & #9

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...3/wheres-waldo

However there is another very important lesson to be learned here as the image above is in an auction for the T206 card of Tom Jones. Where's Tom (Waldo)? I see Doc, Red, Davy, Bobby, Jake. Sammy and Frank. I guess if you've seen one Jones, you have seen them all.:eek::D

howard38 03-20-2014 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CW (Post 1256244)
Here you go (if you use the advanced search you can search for the word "scanner" in titles only, which will give you threads to check out)...

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=169880

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=163471

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144776

Ahhh, those are the threads I was looking for, thanks, CW. FWIW, a friend of mine just gave me a slightly used Brother MFC-J475DW. I doubt that it's particularly good but I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth. If it doesn't work out I'll check out those links.

Leon 03-22-2014 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1245773)

Some sellers use this technique to flaunt their wealth. Don't place low-ball bids with these guys.:eek::D

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...15942/wealth-1

Just looking back at this I don't even remember seeing the Croft's Cocoa ads...very cool.

frankbmd 03-23-2014 12:15 PM

LESSON #15 - BAD HAIR DAY

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...6/bad-hair-day

This listing was ended by the seller because of an error in the listing. Actually there was no description of the card.

Interestingly the actual hair line appears almost intact so I'm not sure which of the following this represents:

A. A Cowlick :cool:
B. A Small Rodent :eek:
C. Cigarette Burn :(

The back seemed fine so I would have to presume A or B.

I suspect the card will be relisted with an appropriate description.;)

CW 03-27-2014 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This one is a classic. You've got "The Flash" and the "Angle with a Twist", not to mention the seller has a $9000 baseball card for sale and this is the best he can do...

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-27-2014 07:08 PM

^he is just trying to be artistic

gregr2 03-27-2014 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards (Post 1259403)
^he is just trying to be artistic

Lol yeah it's all about the angle. :-)

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 03-27-2014 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregr2 (Post 1259404)
Lol yeah it's all about the angle. :-)

Now you get it. He just wanted to make the Mick's face level.

frankbmd 04-10-2014 12:36 PM

LESSON #16 - UPSIDE DOWN FRONT WITH RARE UPSIDE DOWN BACK

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...39/upside-down

With recent interest and a thread highlighting the premium value of upside down back cards, this seller went one step further.

The unusual lighting featured here is thought to be just an attention getter diverting potential buyers from the substandard cropping.;)

frankbmd 05-26-2014 05:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lesson #17 - TRY TO SHOW ALL THE CORNERS

frankbmd 06-03-2014 03:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lesson #18 - CLEAR AS MUD

The scans here are very clear, but..........

Images should clarify and not obfuscate the auction.

The fact that Admiral Schlei is batting in a Larry Schlafly slab is not mentioned. :eek:

Nor is why four backs are shown by the seller.:eek:

veleno45 06-03-2014 07:05 PM

Darn it Frank

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1283688)
Lesson #18 - CLEAR AS MUD

The scans here are very clear, but..........

Images should clarify and not obfuscate the auction.

The fact that Admiral Schlei is batting in a Larry Schlafly slab is not mentioned. :eek:

Nor is why four backs are shown by the seller.:eek:

I already have tabs open for Net54, card target, and ebay. Now I have to open another to look up obfuscate.