Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you value the card or the player more? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=150051)

Tao_Moko 04-15-2012 05:12 PM

Do you value the card or the player more?

I have recently found myself paying premiums for the rarity of the card more than how much I appreciate the player and their contribution to the sport. A good example is the T207 Saier and W. Miller. Neither was remarkable as a player or Cub but I'll pay more for them than the HOFers that played with them. Does paying more for a rare card of a mediocre player than a star mean we value the card more than the person on it?

kmac32 04-15-2012 05:29 PM

The player while he is playing and the cards when he is retired.

bcbgcbrcb 04-15-2012 05:48 PM

The bottom line of value is always supply vs. demand, with supply dealing more with rarity and demand dealing more with the player. Whenever both forces join together, that's when astronomical prices appear.

frankbmd 04-15-2012 06:07 PM

Need a Manion PSA 6 or better.........

Some of the Southern League players with T206 cards were mediocre minor league players at the peak of their careers. If they knew we were paying more money for their cards than they probably earned playing ball, they would think we were crazy. They might have been right.

familytoad 04-15-2012 06:37 PM

Collecting is so personal!

Good thread!

In the past few years I came to the conclusion that it is the players I like more...
Buying rare commons is okay for some, certainly set collectors possessing the "completist gene" really go after the short prints with zeal...But I have changed my tune, and really only want the HOFers in (most) sets.

Of course, I have started a lot of sets over the years and I do like finishing them, but I am trying to resist starting any more...and its mostly because I don't want to pay premiums on high numbers or rare SP's anymore.

For example, my favorite set is T205.
I''m so glad I found a Wilhelm card a couple years ago that I could live with (its PSA2 soon to be crossed over) and have decided against starting a second set just because of that card:mad:
Damnyoukaiserwilhelm.com

I am enjoying getting my HOFer cards graded and scanned for the online SGC Registry, so I can look them over frequently (recent threads would indicate this is a common practice)...I won't be competing in the t206 Demmitt, O'Hara, T205 Wilhelm, T207 Donlin, Ward, Saier, Lowdermilk, E98 Coombs type collecting anymore...and I'll be so glad If I could somehow find those remaining dumb 61,63,66,67 topps high numbers I still need to fill out my topps run...:cool:

egbeachley 04-15-2012 06:43 PM

Always the card. If it was the player I would buy from a modern set or a reprint.

ethicsprof 04-15-2012 07:46 PM

value

great topic for a thread.
as a type collector, it's the card.
admittedly, the only time that i break my rule of one card per type is if we're talking Ruth or Dimaggio---still just 4 ruth's and 3 joe's, so far.
best,
barry