Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   A question for you all........ (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246427)

whitehse 10-19-2017 08:07 PM

A question for you all........

I dont post much on these boards as I try and soak up all the knowledge you all have in regards to pre-war cards but I certainly check the boards everyday and have done so for ten years. I have been collecting since I was 8 years old and am now 53 so I am no newbie to the card collecting world but pre-war is an area I never dabbled in because, well I just didnt have the knowledge. I have never treated my collection as an investment as I have only collected what I liked but I have had the good fortune to make some money in this hobby over the years due to having a good amount of knowledge but I must now ask this question to the pre-war experts.

In a few weeks I have about 500 bucks to play with and I thought I would invest it into some pre-war cards. In the effort to carry over the theme of "collect what you like" I feel I want to spend this money on some hall of famers that are either T cards or even perhaps some Goudeys. I would prefer graded but would certainly consider raw. My question to you experts is what would you sink your 500 bucks into? One lower grade T206 HOFer but nice eye appeal or a collection of Goudey's HOFers that are low to mid grade. Or perhaps something else.

I would love to hear what you all would do with this small some of money in order to open the door to pre-war collecting for someone who has never ventured there and perhaps somewhere down the line there might be a return on investment.

Aquarian Sports Cards 10-19-2017 08:16 PM

You can get several T206 HOF'ers in about PSA 3 for $500.

pokerplyr80 10-19-2017 08:16 PM

I would just find a card you like. I wouldn't think of a card at the $500 level as a great investment opportunity. But popular HOFers from popular sets seem to do the best over time. Maybe something like a t206 Matty, Johnson, or young would be a good pre war card for 500 bucks that could appreciate and would be cool to own.

If $500 is more than you'd normally spend on a card and this is some kind of bonus money you're getting I'm more a fan of getting one big card than several small ones. You can buy smaller value cards any time.

bnorth 10-19-2017 08:20 PM

With an extra $500 I would pick up a low grade 1910 T210 Series 3 Walter Morris. It is the only horizontal card in the set. Plus every card in the set is as rare or rarer than the T206 Wagner.:)

mechanicalman 10-19-2017 08:52 PM

I think the biggest bang for your buck could be a really nice T202. For $500 you could get a very nice mid-grade card with one or two HoFers including WaJo, Matty, Speaker, Cy, etc. They are incredibly pleasing to look at, you’d have a nice grade, and I personally believe they are undervalued presently.

clydepepper 10-19-2017 09:42 PM

While I realize I'm in the minority when I say this, I will proceed anyway:

Card Game issues are an affordable way to purchase high-grade cards of even the biggest stars for relatively low prices.

Five hundred dollars won't last long even with these issues, but they are visually pleasing and may increase in value in the future.

rats60 10-20-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1711976)
I would just find a card you like. I wouldn't think of a card at the $500 level as a great investment opportunity. But popular HOFers from popular sets seem to do the best over time. Maybe something like a t206 Matty, Johnson, or young would be a good pre war card for 500 bucks that could appreciate and would be cool to own.

If $500 is more than you'd normally spend on a card and this is some kind of bonus money you're getting I'm more a fan of getting one big card than several small ones. You can buy smaller value cards any time.

I would second this. Unless you can find more money and get a low grade, nice eye appeal t206 Cobb, I would go for one of the 3 big pitchers from t206. Walter Johnson would be my preference.

Leon 10-22-2017 02:04 PM

As someone who is doing a t205 set some midgrade
Hall of farmers from that set is an option.

Dave Farquhar 10-22-2017 02:41 PM

For $500 you can do a lot of things, so why not take a philosophical look. What do you like? It's OK if you don't know why. Do you just want to pick up a few HOFers and be done with it, or do you have a goal of building a set someday?

If you think you might want to go back and build a set someday, consider what set you might be able to attain, and buy some HOFers from that set. Then you can go back and pick up commons from that set at a later time with smaller amounts.

If you don't have any interest in building a set, think about picking up a selection of HOFers from your favorite team across eras or sets, whatever that may be.

I can say I'd spend $500 the same way I'd spend any other amount of money; the question is just what quantity and condition I'd target.

Luke 10-22-2017 02:50 PM

I'm biased towards T206s for a few reasons. One that might be good for you is T206s are so liquid. If $500 is more than you'd normally spend, it might be nice to know you could recoup most or all of that money very quickly if you need to.

If you like the idea of getting just one really nice card, I'd go for a nice looking lower grade T206 Mathewson portrait or Walter Johnson Hands at Chest. Or if you want to spread it out a bit, you could get 2 or 3 cards and include some underappreciated HOFers like Sam Crawford.

oldjudge 10-22-2017 03:21 PM

You can probably get two nice M101-4/5 blank back HOFers in SGC40-60. You can’t get the big names, but you can get players like Eddie Collins or Chief Bender. The cards are photographic so you can see what the players actually looked like, not artist depictions.

whitehse 10-22-2017 04:00 PM

Thank you to everyone for the ideas. As someone who has collected for many years but never collected prewar I feel like a total newbie despite being a show promoter, card shop owner and collector over the past 40+ years.

There are so many options but I just have to decide what I want. I do have to say that the prospects of owning a Matty, or Cobb no matter what the grade are incredibly intriguing especially for someone who loves the history of the game like I do. I think I have decided to go after some of the greats of the game in an whatever issue I can afford and not worry about the monetary investment because after all, that is what we are supposed to do with a hobby isnt it?

I love the T206's and saw a Matty on the BST that I have some interest in. I saw a Crawford and a few others I need to consider as well. The suggestion for the Triple Folders was a great one as I have found I do like those cards and can get one or two players for the price of one in some instances. Leon, I have always loved the artistic beauty of the t205's. I have never really even considered the M101's but they do look pretty good.

I have some decisions to make and it looks like this is actually breathing some new life into a hobby that I was starting to get a bit bored with. Collecting a whole new era of cards that are actually affordable is getting me excited to jump back into the collecting ring. Thank you for all the great thoughts everyone and I will certainly keep this thread updated with what I find. I have no doubt I will overpay for some of the cards I will be buying but who hasnt done that right?

ValKehl 10-22-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1712847)
As someone who is doing a t205 set some midgrade
Hall of farmers from that set is an option.

Leon, how many mid-grade T205 Hall of farmers do you think one could obtain for $500? :D

Leon 10-23-2017 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ValKehl (Post 1712894)
Leon, how many mid-grade T205 Hall of farmers do you think one could obtain for $500? :D

A quick search on the bay of T205 HOF makes me think you can get 7-8 nice looking HOF'ers for $500....

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...05+hof&_sop=15

alexanderautographs 10-24-2017 04:37 PM

Tech stocks.

bigtrain 10-24-2017 05:06 PM

If I had an extra $500, I would look for a nice Turkey Red.
I think you could find a decent PSA 4 for about that money.
Best looking set ever in my opinion.

Touch'EmAll 10-24-2017 06:06 PM

step up to EX 5...

Perhaps consider a Hornsby, Foxx, Lefty Grove or Carl Hubbell. You could get a playing career 1930's of these quality HOF'ers in solid presentable PSA 5 grade. Maybe a Diamond Stars, Batter-Up or '33/'34 Goudey.