Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shoeless Joe CJ (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=226198)

Snapolit1 07-30-2016 07:33 AM

Shoeless Joe CJ

A couple of nice one's floating around out there. Damm, what a beautiful card. If I had to pick one card to catapult into the six figure realm this would be it. Just enough 7s and 8s to feed a crazy market. The PSA 8 on deck for Memory Lane is sweet.

Bigb13 07-30-2016 07:49 AM

Also two in Heritage

Snapolit1 07-30-2016 07:51 AM

and this one in Goldin.

https://goldinauctions.com/1915_Crac...-LOT24117.aspx

Bigb13 07-30-2016 07:52 AM

Wow so that's 4

pawpawdiv9 07-30-2016 02:50 PM

Also H&S http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=98544
Says border trimming, but looks to be some sort of paper loss/white splotch maybe at underarm?

iowadoc77 07-30-2016 04:38 PM

Nice

Quote:

Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 (Post 1566898)
Also H&S http://www.hugginsandscott.com/cgi-b...l?itemid=98544
Says border trimming, but looks to be some sort of paper loss/white splotch maybe at underarm?

Pretty sweet looking A for sure. Should still fetch a good chunk of change (and juice)

itjclarke 08-05-2016 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1566812)

Seems a strong price for the Goldin Joe Jax. Maybe not 6 figures yet on the high grades, but I wouldn't be surprised if your earlier comments hold true eventually. Such an iconic card.

begsu1013 08-06-2016 04:32 PM

begsu1013 08-06-2016 04:36 PM

itjclarke 08-06-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1569090)

Wow! So you ended up with that PWCC Joe Jax, congrats. Like the OP said, it could be one of the next 6 figure cards given it's totally iconic, and there are enough really nice ones out there/in play to keep the buying masses interested. I do think to a point that extreme scarcity makes certain cards more of less fall off the mainstream radar, thus almost no demand for them.

I'm 99% a collector, not really playing the investment game, but have to admit it has been entertaining to watch for sure... And does feel rewarding in the handful cases I acquired something ahead of its boom.

begsu1013 08-07-2016 08:49 AM

Stonepony 08-07-2016 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1569291)
ian,

110%. cant sit here and say that the investment or rather the demise of that investment didnt cross my mind when pulling the trigger, but this was THE iconic card of my youth. i got to hold one once w mr mint back in the day and vividly remeber that whole experience and the joy it brought to not only myself but my dads face as well. if that investment falls thru though, id rather it had been on my own will w a card than some ponzi scheme or enron ceo deploying his golden parachute on me.

as for the curb, i think this card has the perfect storm brewing for it:

a. iconic player
b. scandal
c. hof debate banter every year, ie rose
d. just shy of the 100 year mark of said series
e. just rare enough
f. and aesthetics

and would totally agree on the too-scarce factor. the hunt is all part of it, but has to be a somewhat achievable goal for most to commit it to their radar!

Other than (d) , that "perfect storm" has been present for nearly 100 years.

begsu1013 08-07-2016 09:43 AM

Stonepony 08-07-2016 11:16 AM

Didn't the 100th anniversary come and go in 2015?

begsu1013 08-07-2016 11:20 AM

Sean 08-07-2016 11:21 AM

He means the 100 year anniversary of the "Black Sox" World Series.

(You beat me to it.)

Stonepony 08-07-2016 11:25 AM

Oh, I see
No, I don't see the anniversary of the Black Sox series resulting in any bump in prices. Zero

Joshwesley 08-07-2016 11:25 AM

That's a top 5 hobby card IMO..

And with the 100 year anniversary of the series coming around the corner... It could take off..

If it doesn't, it's still an incredible card to have... I doubt you would ever have any problem getting your money out of it.

Congrats!

There's a T210 Old mill Jackson on eBay right now for 145k..

Let's see how that does.

begsu1013 08-07-2016 11:28 AM

begsu1013 08-07-2016 11:40 AM

Stonepony 08-07-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1569347)
and dave, lets look at the flip side of your statement for a sec...

since you think the centennial mark of one of the most infamous stories of baseball lore doesnt help w blacksox cards...

do you think the anniversary and talk that will surround it hurt the value of these items?

No, that card will continue to rise with ceiling not in site. I think the anniversary will spawn a " Show me your 1919 Blacksox" thread and an article on Sportscollectorsdaily.... but not much more. Sure there will be references here and there but it won't relate to an appreciable bump in prices.
With that being said, I don't really think a HOF induction would greatly effect JJ prices. He's a legend so the huge prices will always be there.
I can't think of a single anniversary of a BB CARD, event or player that has made willing to up my price point. There may be some examples, but I stand by my belief.

begsu1013 08-07-2016 01:20 PM

ullmandds 08-07-2016 04:39 PM

Agreed. It is time tested and proven... Anniversaries and Ken Burns specials increase values of subject matter !

Quote:

Originally Posted by begsu1013 (Post 1569395)
well, i think the mark will spawn more than just an article.

i see all sorts of things happening.

espn documentary
huge homage going into the 2019 world series.
numerous articles from several top tier publications
another movie.
nightly news spots around the dates.
a jeopardy category
numerous message board chatter/threads
more than 1 decent auction dedicated to the scandal.
chicago coincidentally holding the national
probably reaching on an all star game, havent researched.

couple all the above w just how cards spike when a player is about to be nominated and/or inducted to the hof and/or passes, i think all of this will spawn renewed albiet probably just as brief interest and eyes back to those items. either way, none of that certainly hurts the items, so i sleep well.

if it doesnt, ill sleep just as well. but will probably keep making runs on his cards til then regardless!

but i do agree that even a hof induction wouldnt do much help. much like rose, the yearly debate around hof time keeps him fresh on everyones mind on an consistent and annual basis.

Stonepony 08-07-2016 05:53 PM

Maybe a low end collector ( me) will take that bait, but high end collectors aren't going to be influenced by anniversary hoopla. I guarantee they buy what they want, when they want. I didn't see talk of the Ruth anniversary causing a big spike. Rising prices yes, but no big spike out of the curve... am I wrong?
" 4 out of 5 dentist recommend sugar free gum for their patients who chew gum" ( I ignored this and continued to buy juicy fruit):D:D

begsu1013 08-07-2016 06:24 PM

itjclarke 08-08-2016 03:13 AM

Understand the other POV, and also think Joe Jackson's cards' popularity keep growing on their own, but overall I gotta agree with Bob. I think anything that raises awareness of the player or team in question, will potentially impact value. A recent example was the movie "42". I picked up a PSA-5 Leaf a few months before it opened. Within a few weeks, the prices were creeping up, and before long they'd doubled compared with what I'd paid. I don't think anyone (high end collector, or other) consciously chooses to pay a premium because of a movie, or an anniversary, it just happens because all of a sudden more people want the same stuff.

Not sure the '19 anniversary has an equal effect as "42", and doubt Hollywood takes another crack at this story. I also don't think MLB wants to draw any extra attention to the topic since it keeps putting the commissioner on the spot. However I'd be very surprised if there aren't numerous media references as the date approaches. Also, given how successful ESPN's 30 for 30's have been, wouldn't be surprised to see one come out around then. Perhaps Joe Jax's descendants, in their quest to convince commissioner Manfred to lift Joe's ban, would be the key interview subjects.

Anyway, all of this piques interest, and in turn can do so for prices, like "42" did for Jackie. I think with lesser players/stories, these peaks may be more prone to come back to earth afterward, but in the case of a guy like Joe Jax, I think any price spikes are more likely to stick. Jackie's prices haven't really come back down since.