Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

mfreema2 03-25-2024 08:54 PM

Very simiar to those - thanks for sharing.

mfreema2 03-25-2024 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bocca001 (Post 2422334)
Wow! Tell the seller that he/she is welcome to come here and share!

He might want to... it could certainly help him.

mfreema2 03-26-2024 09:54 AM

Just to recap this since there was a lot of interest. The seller messaged me that due to a few concerns brought about by bidders and non-bidders in regard to the pennant's authenticity, including from me, he suggested having an appraisal of the pennant to which I agreed.

ooo-ribay 03-26-2024 10:19 AM

The batter looks “squattier” (more compressed) in the M&N repro.

perezfan 03-26-2024 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 2422424)
The batter looks “squattier” (more compressed) in the M&N repro.

As well as with the pennant in question...

And with the originals, the words “National Champions” arch higher above and further below the “Cincinnati Reds”. Which means it’s either a reproduction or that they used two separate silkscreens back in the day.

It would’ve been interesting to find out whether the graphics are painted/screened, or flocked (raised velvet).

The fact that it’s being evaluated by an AH is not the end all-be all. I have seen countless reproductions offered by the top/most respected auction houses, many of which were subsequently withdrawn. There are a handful of people here who’s opinion I value more than any AH. But I’m sure it will surface again somewhere if Mark doesn’t buy it.

ooo-ribay 03-26-2024 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2422449)

And with the originals, the words “National Champions” arch higher above and further below the “Cincinnati Reds”. Which means it’s either a reproduction or that they used two separate silkscreens back in the day.

It would’ve been interesting to find out whether the graphics are painted/screened, or flocked (raised velvet).

The fact that it’s being evaluated by an AH is not the end all-be all. I have seen countless reproductions offered by the top/most respected auction houses, many of which were subsequently withdrawn. There are a handful of people here who’s opinion I value more than any AH. But I’m sure it will surface again somewhere if Mark doesn’t buy it.

Yikes! :eek:

I’m not sure about the “squattiness” of the batter, but I see what you’re saying about the more shallow arching. This is why my collection remains “low end.” :p

P.S. we never heard the final disposition of the 1918(?) Red Sox that we all felt was no good, did we?

mfreema2 03-26-2024 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2422449)

That's a good point, Mark, about the AH not being definitive.

Bumpus Jones 03-27-2024 03:44 AM

Interesting topic of discussion. I think there's also the possibility of it being a pretty good period reproduction. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

ooo-ribay 03-27-2024 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpus Jones (Post 2422612)
Interesting topic of discussion. I think there's also the possibility of it being a pretty good period reproduction. What's everyone's thoughts on that?

Meaning, like a 100 year old reproduction? I wasn’t aware anyone was doing that…

bocca001 03-27-2024 09:59 AM

The spine doesn't match the Mitchell and Ness. But the scrunched graphics do a bit. I guess the spine could have been replaced. I'm curious about the color of the cut tassels. I did also see the rare NY Titans pennant from the same seller, mentioned by Rob. I know that having the Titans pennant doesn't mean that this Reds is real, but it sounds like these are coming from a serious pennant collection.