Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Hey, pennant guys (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=183684)

perezfan 05-27-2017 12:39 PM

Welcome Erik...

Great stuff... your NY Giants pennant is interesting to me. I have never seen it with white felt and red graphics. Normally it's the reverse (white on red).

Very cool :cool:

JMEnglish27 05-27-2017 05:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have any of you ever seen this? Picked these up today. Yes, that's printed tape on the NFC one denoting a location change.

ooo-ribay 05-27-2017 06:19 PM

^^^^ Those are cool. 1977 apparently.

I have bleached pennants like your NFC (no kidding!) with great success.

Duluth Eskimo 05-27-2017 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erikc21 (Post 1665113)
I am VERY new to the pennant collection community and mine are not remotely as rare and cool as many listed, but here are the few I have so far (I just received the Boston one in the mail (folded) this week...

There is an amazing amount of knowledge and variety with this group!

Erik,
Those are all very nice pennants and for the most part in great condition. Buy what you think is cool and affordable. It's easy to get caught up in Mark's collection, but not as easy to go up against.

BTW, you are missing a Minneapolis Millers (if you consider Mpls the same as Minnesota) baseball pennant which are occasionally available, but sometimes in the $100 plus range in good shape. Those are mainly from the 50's and earlier though.

bocca001 05-27-2017 11:04 PM

Millers pennant

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a Millers pennant.

Fballguy 05-28-2017 09:59 AM

Really like the white Giants pennant. I have the reverse version which Mark describes.

Cool Pro Bowl Pennants. I have the NFC one (without Seattle note). It was sold as a 1972 Pro Bowl Pennant, though not sure how one would know that that unless they bought it at the game. The Pro Bowl was in L.A. for 2+ decades. Mine is a softer felt than I would expect for 1972. My other pennants of that era are stiffer than this...ie the 1967 single bar pennants. With no date on it, no way to know for sure.

Did some Pro Bowl research when I picked it up and being a Rams fan, was particularly interested in the 1969 game. Roman Gabriel was offensive MVP and Merlin Olsen was defensive MVP. The final score: 10-7

That was back when it was still a football game and fun to watch...though I was only 2....and not the unwatchable "exhibition" it's become today...with 62 to 35 final scores designed to attract kids, women and lukewarm football fans.

Fballguy 05-28-2017 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1665254)
^^^^ Those are cool. 1977 apparently.

I have bleached pennants like your NFC (no kidding!) with great success.

I'd love to hear your process. I have some white pennants from the late 60's and early 70's that I want to clean up.

Been experimenting with OxiClean (of Billy Mays fame) and thus far the results have been humorous. If you want to know how to turn a 1950's travel pennant into a completely blank pennant PM me. :eek:

Hoping to have some time over the long weekend to experiment some more.

erikc21 05-28-2017 10:46 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys! Rob, it's awesome you started this thread! You have some amazing stuff!

So, I bought Mike Egner's guide - does he participate here and do people send him pictures of pennants that aren't listed? Any idea if a hockey, basketball or collegiant guide is on the horizon?

Mark, your collection is bonkers! My head was spinning looking at your photos.

Jason/Marc,

Thanks for the comment on the Millers. Yes, I would like to add one (I have a St Paul Saints one), but seems to be very rare and they don't give them away...:). About 6 years ago I was outbid on a Minneapolis Mighty Millers Hockey Club pennant. In hindsight I wish I would have gone much higher (I guess we all say that when we miss out). My friend has a MN fighting pike one..:but he's got a tight grip on it! If you see any other MN team not listed, I'm game!

ooo-ribay 05-29-2017 09:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fballguy (Post 1665427)
I'd love to hear your process. I have some white pennants from the late 60's and early 70's that I want to clean up.

Been experimenting with OxiClean (of Billy Mays fame) and thus far the results have been humorous. If you want to know how to turn a 1950's travel pennant into a completely blank pennant PM me. :eek:

Hoping to have some time over the long weekend to experiment some more.

I use painters tape to tape off the colored border. Spray with straight bleach from a spray bottle. The pennant will be white in a matter of minutes. Then spray copiously with straight water. The one with the batter and ball also looked like hell when I got it.

Fballguy 05-29-2017 12:33 PM

Wow...Great results. No change to the silk screening at all? Did you just let it air dry after?