Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Closing Tonight: Love of the Game Auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=209757)

Al C.risafulli 08-08-2015 09:31 AM

Closing Tonight: Love of the Game Auctions

Hi Everybody:

On the heels of an awesome National, I just wanted to remind everyone that the Love of the Game summer auction closes tonight at 9PM eastern.

The extended bidding period begins at 9, and continues until no item in the auction has received a bid for 15 minutes. In order to bid in extended bidding, you need to have placed a bid on that item prior to 9:00.

I do expect this one to run late.

Lots of great items in this auction, but I wanted to point out a few special ones that I think are interesting and perhaps are flying under the radar a bit, given some other items in the auction that are attracting so much attention:

• Beautiful N173 cabinets of Hall of Famers King Kelly, Cap Anson, and John Clarkson
• A dynamite T206 set (518/524), with 337 graded (mostly by SGC). The HOFers and most of the graded cards in this set are gorgeous.
• An extremely cool 1949-52 Los Angeles Angels PCL game-worn jersey and cap, with the jersey attributed to infielder Tod Davis.
• A gorgeous N566 Newsboy John Ward, one of many really nice cabinets we have in this auction.
• A nice assortment of interesting T206s, led by a super high-grade Jake Atz, and followed up by some tough backs, miscast, and nice HOFers.
• A huge group of 1916 M101-4/5 Mendelsohn-produced cards, including a ton of Famous & Barr Hall of Famers and other really tough types
• A nice group of PSA-graded 1933 Goudeys
• A host of tough autographs, attractive memorabilia, and our first Americana section (with lots of bargains).

If you're a bidder or consignor in the auction, best of luck. If not, hopefully it'll be an entertaining night to watch!

www.loveofthegameauctions.com

Thanks so much,
-Al

gnaz01 08-08-2015 09:37 AM

Good luck Al, GREAT material here!!

Stonepony 08-08-2015 10:35 AM

Great auction, I'll be up tonight

pokerplyr80 08-08-2015 11:08 AM

Lots of great stuff in this one. Good luck!

sycks22 08-08-2015 11:43 AM

Amazing auction as always Al

Jewish-collector 08-08-2015 01:45 PM

I'm staying up late for this one http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/s...atdrink004.gif

atx840 08-08-2015 02:21 PM

So many great items, was nice to see the bat in person. Good luck everyone.

Peter_Spaeth 08-08-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1439767)

I would be 100 percent comfortable placing a max bid in Al's auction and going to bed.

Jacker_ Cracks 08-08-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1439791)
I would be 100 percent comfortable placing a max bid in Al's auction and going to bed.

+1

Publius 08-08-2015 04:45 PM

Good luck to all the consignors and of course you Al.

Six pack of MGD and Billy Joel playing softly in the background. A perfect evening for you.....

RCMcKenzie 08-09-2015 01:02 AM

Yuck, I just paid a dummy-tax of $120 b/c I can't or won't read the instructions. With no one bidding against me all night...I doubled the stakes with a straight bid instead of a max bid when I was already winning...a cautionary tale...

nolemmings 08-09-2015 01:04 AM

Bartender, please do NOT give me what that man's drinking. :)

glynparson 08-09-2015 04:23 AM

great auction Al

Went to bed in great shape on a couple items i really wanted woke up under bidder on one and the second underbidder on the other. Did win a few cards, though not the two i most wanted, but that's an auction you win some you lose some.

philliesphan 08-09-2015 05:17 AM

Amazing auction, Al! Congrats to LotG.

The Gehrig bat is simply phenomenal. The story, the photo match, it's a thing of legend.

Was happy as a consignor. My bids didn't hold up this time around, but I'm overall very happy again with the end-to-end LotG experience.

btcarfagno 08-09-2015 05:31 AM

Indeed congrats on yet another terrific auction. The legwork you do for your consignors really is extraordinary.

I was underbidder on three items including one I have wanted for a long time. Whomever ended up with the signed 34 Goudey Bob Johnson congrats. My search continues...

Tom C

Bliggity 08-09-2015 05:42 AM

Apparently I didn't stay up late enough either. Damn beer festival yesterday afternoon...

wolf441 08-09-2015 06:33 AM

Congrats on a great auction, Al!

I was the high bidder on the one item that I really wanted from the start of the auction until I went to bed. Congrats to whoever won the T213-1 Coupon Cranston!

Best,

Steve

ksabet 08-09-2015 07:57 AM

This continues to be one of my favorite auction houses...Thanks Al for the great customer service and top notch product.

yanksfan09 08-09-2015 08:04 AM

Very nice stuff. The Kreindler painting, CJ Jax, and Ruth RC were all fantastic. Wish I had won the lottery a week ago!

arcadekrazy 08-09-2015 08:32 AM

Second time I've consigend with LoTG. Al is first class from beginning to end. Responsive, professional, knowledgeable and trustworthy. As a bidder, I know that I can enter my max bids and rest easy.

Rob D. 08-09-2015 09:06 AM

This looked like a fun little auction. Congrats to the winners.

jcc6252 08-09-2015 09:15 AM

Marathon

Nice auction. But, I really don't get these auctions that leave every lot open based on one bid for any lot. Of course, this is just sour grapes because I was outbid at 2:45 AM (ET) on the Sporting News Marquard. Congrats to that winner. I guess it's a contest of who wants to stay up the longest, or what time zone you're in.

Peter_Spaeth 08-09-2015 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcc6252 (Post 1440040)
Nice auction. But, I really don't get these auctions that leave every lot open based on one bid for any lot. Of course, this is just sour grapes because I was outbid at 2:45 AM (ET) on the Sporting News Marquard. Congrats to that winner. I guess it's a contest of who wants to stay up the longest, or what time zone you're in.

If you were willing to pay the next level, why not just lock up the level with a ceiling bid?

drmondobueno 08-09-2015 09:32 AM

Wow.

What an auction. My first consignment, to say it went well would be an understatement. Can't say enough good things about Al. First class all the way.

And that bat!

e107collector 08-09-2015 09:41 AM

Lotg

What a great auction!! Unreal ending prices, especially the Gehrig Bat!!!

Great job Al!!

Tony

wonkaticket 08-09-2015 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1440042)
If you were willing to pay the next level, why not just lock up the level with a ceiling bid?

Some folks I would assume are scared of being shilled is my guess. With all the hobby news of people winning cards they didn't keep and just sending them back to appear in later auctions as result of shilling. I can totally understand why some folks would be hesitant to place ceiling bids.

ksabet 08-09-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 1440059)
Some folks I would assume are scared of being shilled is my guess. With all the hobby news of people winning cards they didn't keep and just sending them back to appear in later auctions as result of shilling. I can totally understand why some folks would be hesitant to place ceiling bids.

I have no fear with Al or H&S leaving high ceiling bids. I get my first crack at the last price level every time. I also win a lot with room to go so makes me feel comfortable.

wonkaticket 08-09-2015 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksabet (Post 1440063)
I have no fear with Al or H&S leaving high ceiling bids. I get my first crack at the last price level every time. I also win a lot with room to go so makes me feel comfortable.

Good to know thanks for sharing. My comment above wasn't a statement about Al or his auction. It was a statement of why some people may have a fear of leaving ceiling bids with any auction.

Peter_Spaeth 08-09-2015 10:50 AM

I'd rather be shilled than lose sleep.:D

scooter729 08-09-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

I'm less bothered by this, than auctions where you can bid on any item in extra time even if you never bid in regular time. In Sterling last week, I was the only bidder on a card when it went to OT, so I assumed I won. Imagine my surprise to wake up and see I was out bid at 2AM. Shame on me for not reading the rules closely enough, but a strange policy in my opinion. Sorry - not trying to derail the topic!

Scott S@ri@n

calvindog 08-09-2015 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ksabet (Post 1440063)

Al is beyond reproach. Problem is that sometimes consigners and their friends are not.

lug-nut 08-09-2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

I think its the best way to go to avoid getting outbid by someone who quit on their auction then comes and snags yours. I bid on anything early that i want to consider at the end.

jburl 08-09-2015 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1439791)

That's what I did, and didn't reach my max. Love LOTG!
Justin ( Burl ) Burleson

jcc6252 08-09-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1440042)

You are absolutely right, and I normally use that tactic. This was a relatively inexpensive card I discovered on closing day and wasn't sure what I was willing to spend. And, I must admit, the gambler in me enjoys some head-to-head extended bidding. My checkbook, not so much!

T206Jim 08-09-2015 07:17 PM

Al is the best, as a LOTG consignor he always describes my item well and as a buyer I slept well last night with my winning max bid that was completely untapped come morning.

drcy 08-09-2015 08:00 PM

One of the advantages to being a vampire is being to stay up on auction night. Another is I get my money's worth out of social security.

jcc6252 08-10-2015 07:38 AM

Drcy, are you for hire to do my zombie bidding? :D Dumb question, where does social security fit into the scheme?

midmo 08-10-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Opps, my bad. Sorry about that. :o I got home from the bars (I can't recommend this tactic), placed my maximum bids and went to bed...

On the positive side, to my surprise all six of my bids held. Most were below my max so I definitely recommend setting it and getting some sleep.

jcc6252 08-10-2015 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by midmo (Post 1440394)
Opps, my bad. Sorry about that. :o I got home from the bars (I can't recommend this tactic), placed my maximum bids and went to bed...

On the positive side, to my surprise all six of my bids held. Most were below my max so I definitely recommend setting it and getting some sleep.

Justin, no worries. That's a sweet card, enjoy! I may have to try the post-bar strategy next time :D

Jewish-collector 08-10-2015 11:04 AM

Al's auction house is the best auction house on the planet. I put my max bid in & went to sleep. Unfortunately, I am a low end collector, so I just don't have the deep pockets. :(

frankbmd 08-10-2015 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish-collector (Post 1440409)
Al's auction house is the best auction house on the planet. I put my max bid in & went to sleep. Unfortunately, I am a low end collector, so I just don't have the deep pockets. :(

Al may still be sleeping.:D

Shoeless Moe 08-10-2015 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1440564)
Al may still be sleeping.:D

That might explain why I still have not gotten an invoice yet.

Anybody else get one yet?

nolemmings 08-10-2015 05:21 PM

Probably still hungover from a Taylor Swift concert.

Al C.risafulli 08-10-2015 05:28 PM

Hi All:

Just reviewing the shipping charges to make sure I'm not overcharging anyone.

Invoices should be emailed within the hour.

Thanks for being patient, I like to get this part right!

-Al

BeanTown 08-10-2015 05:43 PM

Great auction Al! I hope you consider going to a format where each lot closes without a bid for a certain time. If not, then I guess I Wont get much sleep on auction night.

1880nonsports 08-10-2015 05:59 PM

I have never had a problem

with the auction and have won a couple of items in the past. Descriptions match the items and shipping is more than reasonable. I also had no problem leaving a maximum bid in last nights auction (won by a bid below my max). What does bother me is the closing sequence. I understand trying to maximize the bidding opportunities by extending all actions by 15 minutes when any one item is bid on - I assume that allows for someone outbid to then chase something else or? From my perspective as a BIDDER - I would prefer that each item carry it's own clock - I don't like the idea of leaving bids as it allows the subsequent bidder to take shots at the highest bid at their discretion - and around 4:00 am when the mail notices are delivered signaling the end of the auction - them that's awake have an unfair advantage. Just my nickel.....

unamuzd1 08-10-2015 06:04 PM

I played this one about perfectly. Got registered, got approved, got distracted by the wife needing to go to the store, forgot to bid.

Next time!

Peter_Spaeth 08-10-2015 06:06 PM

Auction closing format has been debated endlessly here and it seems there is no solution that will make everyone happy.

LincolnVT 08-10-2015 06:50 PM

Love Of The Game

Great auction....playing with the big dogs now. Congrats Al...

BeanTown 08-10-2015 06:54 PM

Happy either way, but would be more happy if I lived in California for the few auctions that stay open until no bids for the entire auction. Much bigger advantage for Westcoast bidders IMO. Lots that go off independently at a reasonable hour, have a more likeyhood of having multiple bidders get into a bidding battle.