Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Not sure anyone has seen this? ESPN counterfeiters video Greg Marino (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=246128)

GrayGhost 10-13-2017 04:32 PM

Not sure anyone has seen this? ESPN counterfeiters video Greg Marino

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=21011515

Interesting

Sorry if anyone posted this.

Scott Garner 10-13-2017 05:30 PM

Scott,
Awesome video! Thanks for posting this.

39special 10-13-2017 06:53 PM

That's a very interesting video.

sycks22 10-13-2017 07:12 PM

Kind of amazing how good he was. I went to an estate sale two weeks ago and apparently this guy bought tons of Marino stuff. I was looking at them and felt bad that he thought his stuff was legit. The funniest one was a colored photo signed by Babe Ruth in Silver Sharpie.

MrSeven 10-13-2017 08:50 PM

Never realized how elaborate that forgery scam was. Disgusting to think how many people he ripped off.

Good work by the FBI.

irv 10-13-2017 08:59 PM

That was excellent, Scott. Thanks for posting it up.

Hopefully Leon puts this on the main page, and maybe a couple others as I think anyone in the hobby would like to watch this.

Mark70Z 10-14-2017 04:50 AM

To me it’s a shame that they received such short sentences for the crime committed.

chaddurbin 10-14-2017 09:44 AM

getting a little of the backstory was interesting, but the forgeries were not. i am not an expert at mantle but the mcgwires suck...i'm certain fudd or chris would laugh at those mantles. these were probably aimed at the vegas tourists.

all this video does is validate the irrational fears in minds of normal collectors who think all autographs are fake and we are the crazy ones to collect them. :rolleyes:

GrayGhost 10-14-2017 10:07 AM

Well I do agree that a video like this may put three years in the people, it was mainly posted to educate people. A little bit of background on the lead forger in the biggest forgery wearing of all time in sports. I think it is interesting and educational to a degree and that's all I was trying to get out of it.

gashouse34 10-14-2017 12:05 PM

Listening to Marino talk you get the impression he thinks he was a victim:rolleyes: He just wanted to see people happy.

MrSeven 10-14-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1710260)
getting a little of the backstory was interesting, but the forgeries were not. i am not an expert at mantle but the mcgwires suck...i'm certain fudd or chris would laugh at those mantles. these were probably aimed at the vegas tourists.

all this video does is validate the irrational fears in minds of normal collectors who think all autographs are fake and we are the crazy ones to collect them. :rolleyes:

His Mantle especially on baseballs is pretty obvious when compared with known good examples.

I've seen his Ted Williams' forgeries and those are far harder in my opinion to identify.

bnorth 10-14-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSeven (Post 1710324)
His Mantle especially on baseballs is pretty obvious when compared with known good examples.

I've seen his Ted Williams' forgeries and those are far harder in my opinion to identify.

On Ted Williams look at the bottom of the "T" in Ted and the "S" in Williams. Otherwise it is pretty good.

shelly 10-14-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSeven (Post 1710324)

His williams are very easy. He could never get the s correctly he loped it through the middle on all of his williams.

mcgwirecom 10-14-2017 03:29 PM

He was pretty good at most of them, but his McGwire was atrocious. I actually was authenticating for several auction houses in 1999 after the story broke because PSA/DNA had not started and JSA only did vintage players. I was called by one house and a few others joined in.

Before the story broke I was really mad because I had collected a lot of McGwire signed items and did an auction after the 1998 season. The prices I got were very low because people saw the cheap forgeries and would not bid over the forgery prices. I was selling signed balls for maybe $100 before the story broke. Then afterward... woohoo. I got as much as $1200 for a nice signed ball because people just wanted to know it was legit.

I like at the end when he says they put pride into it! LOL

Mr. Zipper 10-14-2017 06:56 PM

I actually appreciated watching him execute the forgeries.

For anyone who has wondered what "deliberate and drawn" means, there ya go.

thetruthisoutthere 10-14-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1710399)
I actually appreciated watching him execute the forgeries.

For anyone who has wondered what "deliberate and drawn" means, there ya go.

+1

seablaster 10-15-2017 06:40 AM

Yeesh. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

RichardSimon 10-15-2017 11:15 AM

The crooked ebay sellers who peddled this sh-- were way too many to count.
I can remember tangling with many of them, even an Army Lieutenant, and eventually had to sue one of them, who had slandered me, and beat him out of a nice sum of money.
A ton of Mantle and Williams and Joe D. stuff is still out there and is offered to me regularly by naive (?) owners.
Marino was very weak on the vintage stuff. Though many of those were also sold on ebay at "bargain" prices.

Leon 10-15-2017 06:37 PM

22 well spent minutes...thanks for posting the link to the video

Huck 10-15-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1710622)
22 well spent minutes...thanks for posting the link to the video

Agreed. The sheer volume the team was pumping out is mind boggling. I truly feel for anyone who purchased items they felt were legit. I thank my lucky stars for sticking to my guns and deciding early on to only get items signed in person. Over the years, that stance has softened a bit but not for top tier players.

GoCubsGo32 10-15-2017 08:38 PM

Great video!

Very talented man...his painting were pretty decent. Sad to see his talents go in a bad direction. Mind blowing, the amount of fake crap unloaded into the marketplace.

Mr. Zipper 10-16-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoCubsGo32 (Post 1710675)
Great video!

Very talented man...his painting were pretty decent. Sad to see his talents go in a bad direction. Mind blowing, the amount of fake crap unloaded into the marketplace.

His father, Angelo, was the sports litho artist.

tazdmb 10-16-2017 09:28 AM

I think anyone who watches this needs to read Operation Bullpen first:

https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Bul...ration+bullpen

slidekellyslide 10-16-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazdmb (Post 1710752)
I think anyone who watches this needs to read Operation Bullpen first:

https://www.amazon.com/Operation-Bul...ration+bullpen

Heh. I immediately ordered the book from Amazon last night after watching that segment. Couldn't find it on eBay for less and nobody on Amazon has it for cheap so it must be a hard book to come by.

callou2131 10-16-2017 12:49 PM

I have an Angelo Marino signed Ripken Litho, only signed by Marino, and a mantle Marino on a bat that I got taken on years ago before Op. Bullpen. The Mantle bat I got on ebay with a J Dimaggio and SCCA cert. I didnt know any better way back then.

Michael B 10-16-2017 12:51 PM

The cheapest copy on Bilblio.com is $19.94 plus $3.99 shipping. They run from $25.99 to $59.99 after that.

tha-rock 10-16-2017 01:18 PM

Both of these guys victimized hundreds of honest people out of their hard earned money and got slaps on the wrist for committing felonies. They made huge profits and lived large by ripping people off and I don't feel the least bit sorry for what happened to them. Thank you FBI for Operation Bullpen otherwise these criminals would still be in operation.

RichardSimon 10-16-2017 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tha-rock (Post 1710838)
Both of these guys victimized hundreds of honest people out of their hard earned money and got slaps on the wrist for committing felonies. They made huge profits and lived large by ripping people off and I don't feel the least bit sorry for what happened to them. Thank you FBI for Operation Bullpen otherwise these criminals would still be in operation.

Thank you Tim Fitzsimmons for heading the Operation Bullpen.
I have talked with Tim on many occasions. He has retired from the FBI.
Tim and I and a couple of the members here are very unhappy with the way the government has dropped the ball on a major recent case.

rjackson44 10-16-2017 01:44 PM

hi richard

how about coaches corner ???

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 10-16-2017 01:59 PM

I could honestly watch this stuff all day. Such a great video. Wish it was longer though.

slidekellyslide 10-16-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjackson44 (Post 1710848)
how about coaches corner ???

Clearly the forgeries have not stopped, but I don't think they are or may never again be at the same level the Marino operation operated at. I'm not sure how Coaches Corner continues to quite obviously offer up that crap and still skate. How long can you hide behind an "opinion" when it's rather obvious they are either making these items or they know who is doing it? There are smart people at the FBI, even they know that Matty, Josh Gibson and Joe Jackson weren't prolific signers.

Mr. Zipper 10-16-2017 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1710866)
Clearly the forgeries have not stopped, but I don't think they are or may never again be at the same level the Marino operation operated at....

In my opinion, the situation is worse and fakes are more prolific now.

The "Florida" forgery operation has pumped out huge quantities that dwarf what Marino did.

thetruthisoutthere 10-16-2017 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1710939)

The "Florida" forgery operation has pumped out huge quantities that dwarf what Marino did.

+1 for sure!!!!

johnmh71 10-16-2017 07:10 PM

I watched the video and couldnt help but think that Marino could start up again if desperate enough. He doesn't much remorse for all the people he helped cheat.

slidekellyslide 10-16-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnmh71 (Post 1710958)
I watched the video and couldnt help but think that Marino could start up again if desperate enough. He doesn't much remorse for all the people he helped cheat.

He clearly can still do the signatures because they showed his hand doing lots of different sigs during that segment.

slidekellyslide 10-16-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1710939)

Are these the people selling the crap in Vegas and other tourist trap areas?

Mr. Zipper 10-17-2017 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1711001)
Are these the people selling the crap in Vegas and other tourist trap areas?

Yes... the ones that often come with the giant "forensic expert" holograms.

Gallery style tourist traps... antique shops... ebay wholesalers... they are everywhere.

RichardSimon 10-17-2017 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper (Post 1711043)
Yes... the ones that often come with the giant "forensic expert" holograms.

Gallery style tourist traps... antique shops... ebay wholesalers... they are everywhere.

Yes Steve, they are everywhere, like a communicable disease. They are all over ebay and they also drop ship boxes of crap to small town auctioneers, offering them large commissions to make sales.

shelly 10-17-2017 09:05 AM

Richard,Chris and I talked about the Florida ring. It is estimated that they have sold well over 25 million/ The interesting part about this is the FBI in Florida had it handed over to them from Arizona in a bow. They just walked a way from it.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

RichardSimon 10-17-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1711081)
Richard,Chris and I talked about the Florida ring. It is estimated that they have sold well over 25 million/ The interesting part about this is the FBI in Florida had it handed over to them from Arizona in a bow. They just walked a way from it.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It was handed to them by Tim Fitzsimmons and others.
Physical evidence was provided but little was done.
And the amount quoted by Shelly is not hyperbole. It might not be quite that high but it is quite high nonetheless.
We are pretty sure the Florida ring top people are probably driving Mercedes now.

shelly 10-17-2017 02:46 PM

Richard, that was a rough total from Phoenix over four years ago.

slidekellyslide 10-17-2017 10:10 PM

Does anyone know why the FBI in Florida decided to drop it?

shelly 10-19-2017 08:57 AM

We where told that they where to busy with other things to be bothered with this.:eek:

Leon 10-19-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shelly (Post 1711710)
We where told that they where to busy with other things to be bothered with this.:eek:

Just keep at it. Someone will listen. I believe that recently many FBI agents have probably been assigned to the Las Vegas shooting nightmare. Unfortunately for us collectors there are more important things in life than a fake autograph or card. We can only hope that our few FBI Agents, who do work in our area, are able to convince agents in other regions to take these hobby cases. I don't think that is an easy task, quite honestly.

thetruthisoutthere 10-19-2017 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1711734)
Just keep at it. Someone will listen. I believe that recently many FBI agents have probably been assigned to the Las Vegas shooting nightmare. Unfortunately for us collectors there are more important things in life than a fake autograph or card. We can only hope that our few FBI Agents, who do work in our area, are able to convince agents in other regions to take these hobby cases. I don't think that is an easy task, quite honestly.

I agree, Leon, but this case was started and handed to them on a silver platter over five years ago.

Has nothing to do with recent events.

RichardSimon 10-19-2017 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1711740)
I agree, Leon, but this case was started and handed to them on a silver platter over five years ago.

+++++

Leon 10-20-2017 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere (Post 1711740)

Gotcha.....didn't know the timeline for ya'lls issue you were working on. The authorities I normally talk to have been quite tied up recently. I figure others are probably busy too. I just don't think our hobby gets a ton of love from authorities in general (to go after the bad guys) besides the one Special Agent, Brian B, who spoke at the Net54 Dinner a few months ago. He said he is able to devote about 30% of his time to the hobby. We need more Agents working in our hobby is the problem....

RichardSimon 10-21-2017 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1712037)
Gotcha.....didn't know the timeline for ya'lls issue you were working on. The authorities I normally talk to have been quite tied up recently. I figure others are probably busy too. I just don't think our hobby gets a ton of love from authorities in general (to go after the bad guys) besides the one Special Agent, Brian B, who spoke at the Net54 Dinner a few months ago. He said he is able to devote about 30% of his time to the hobby. We need more Agents working in our hobby is the problem....

Tim Fitzsimmons was the #1 FBI man for this. He led the case against Marino. Several of us here have worked with him.
This case was started by Tim and given to Florida Feds and they dropped the ball despite much evidence. Tim told several of us that he was EXTREMELY annoyed and frustrated by their actions.
The thievery still goes on.

thetruthisoutthere 10-21-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichardSimon (Post 1712363)
Tim Fitzsimmons was the #1 FBI man for this. He led the case against Marino. Several of us here have worked with him.
This case was started by Tim and given to Florida Feds and they dropped the ball despite much evidence. Tim told several of us that he was EXTREMELY annoyed and frustrated by their actions.
The thievery still goes on.

And they (in Florida) also allowed the "Statute Of Limitations" to expire.

Fuddjcal 10-23-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaddurbin (Post 1710260)

While I do have a "slight chuckle", it is amazing how effortlessly he was able to recreate the Mantle signature....and so many others. To quote Maxwell Smart "If only he would have used his talent for good instead of evil":)