Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   October Pick ups Thread (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=260610)

71buc 10-03-2018 10:02 PM

October Pick ups Thread

1 Attachment(s)
I am surprised that no one has started this thread yet. I love original 35mm color slides. I added these two to my collection tonight. These photos reflect the way the 10 year-old version of me remembers Roberto. Perhaps that's why I love them so much. Although I am terribly biased I think these are two of the most attractive portraits of the early 1970s version of Roberto I have seen.

CarltonHendricks 10-04-2018 02:13 AM

Jess Willard Munsingware Sign

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/2nAU8j.jpg

This Munsingware Sign featuring World Heavyweight Champion Jess Willard came today....little rough but so rare may be only extant....as I showed it to John Buonaguidi of All American Antiques in Monterey Calif and he'd never seen it...John who I've known many years...going way back over thirty years...when I first got into this...is sort of a done it all, had it all, when it comes to early boxing signs and posters especially...and he hadn't seen it...John pointed out there's no mention of being world champion...so it may be from before he won the championship. Willard knocked out Jack Johnson in Havana Cuba in 1919 to win the title...

Huysmans 10-04-2018 04:32 AM

Hey Carlton, killer sign!!
What a great find, congrats!!

sicollector1954 10-04-2018 04:34 AM

October

1 Attachment(s)
The past couple of weeks have been the best for adding to my collection that I have ever had! First, went to an estate sale and it turned out to be for a former Rockford Peaches player....lots of items were being let go and the prices were unbelievable! Then hit a flea market not too far away and was lucky enough to find this 1950 Johnny Pesky gamer for less than $10.00! I could not believe it. Apparently, treasures are still out there once in awhile and finding these things will make me continue the search! Thanks.

sphere and ash 10-04-2018 12:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mickey Mantle by LIFE Magazine photographer Ralph Morse.

ooo-ribay 10-04-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1817228)
I am surprised that no one has started this thread yet. I love original 35mm color slides. I added these two to my collection tonight. These photos reflect the way the 10 year-old version of me remembers Roberto. Perhaps that's why I love them so much. Although I am terribly biased I think these are two of the most attractive portraits of the early 1970s version of Roberto I have seen.

Cool. Can you get a photo printed from a slide? I’ve kinda been considering a Giants slide.

71buc 10-04-2018 07:54 PM

My understanding is that you can for personal use only not commercial use or sale. I plan on making professional high quality professional prints to frame with Clemente memorabilia. I think it's cool to own the original slide/negative and the only print of a nice image. There is an ebay seller that is buying these slides and generating prints for sale. I am surprised he is doing so without issue.

Scott Garner 10-05-2018 08:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1817397)
Cool. Can you get a photo printed from a slide? I’ve kinda been considering a Giants slide.

You absolutely can make high-quality prints out of slides for personal use.
Here is an example of one that I made for myself out of an original professional color slide of Sandy Koufax's 18K game at Wrigley Field in 1962.

I framed it with a mid-1960's signed index card that I owned. It turned out great and resides right next to me at my desk. :)

JoeDfan 10-05-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicollector1954 (Post 1817251)
The past couple of weeks have been the best for adding to my collection that I have ever had! First, went to an estate sale and it turned out to be for a former Rockford Peaches player....lots of items were being let go and the prices were unbelievable! Then hit a flea market not too far away and was lucky enough to find this 1950 Johnny Pesky gamer for less than $10.00! I could not believe it. Apparently, treasures are still out there once in awhile and finding these things will make me continue the search! Thanks.

Oh, that is AWESOME!

sicollector1954 10-05-2018 01:58 PM

October

Thanks!

eastonfalcon19 10-05-2018 03:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked up my signs from Hunt Auctions today and hung them on the garage already. Also picked up the Pie Traynor retired number sign but still looking for a place to put that one.

ooo-ribay 10-05-2018 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eastonfalcon19 (Post 1817607)
Picked up my signs from Hunt Auctions today and hung them on the garage already. Also picked up the Pie Traynor retired number sign but still looking for a place to put that one.

Wasn't there a thread about BIG items? Those would qualify! :p

Bill Rayburn 10-05-2018 05:01 PM

WOW!!!!! Nice job Ron

Copa7 10-05-2018 05:15 PM

october

Where do these signs originate? From a closed stadium?

eastonfalcon19 10-05-2018 06:01 PM

PNC Park

Kzoo 10-05-2018 06:10 PM

a bunch of pennants....

1 Attachment(s)
Guys...……….I picked up this enormous pile of 207 Junior Rose Bowl / Pasadena Bowl related pennants from the late 1950's through the 1970. They were all in a box in an antique dealers barn since 1970. All are New Old Stock (NOS) and the majority of them are in fantastic shape with beautiful colors!! I believe there's at least 17 different schools represented, but haven't counted how many duplicates I have yet. Some of the bigger schools are Boston U, Louisville, and Memphis. Unfortunately, 16 have some damage from water staining, 16 had damage from a mouse, 2 have cut off tips, 5 have minor stains on the tips, and 23 have other minimal damage, but are very presentable. Otherwise the 145 remaining are in great shape. Now I need to figure out what to do with them!!

JoeDfan 10-05-2018 09:00 PM

October

3 Attachment(s)
The mailman brought me three awesome bats!

A beautiful Kren Klouter to go with my Gehrig Klouter, and it is in great shape;

A Louisville Slugger "Black Oil Finish" (I have never seen one, so this one was mostly a curiosity). I presume just some kind of retail bat;

And an awesome addition to my Maine collection, a W.E. Mains bat from Sandy Creek, Maine. I have been looking for one of these for a while. I don't think anyone famous used it, and I don't know how rare they are, but I think this one is an instant favorite in the collection.

clydepepper 10-06-2018 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm digging my new Lefty:

Attachment 330539

Attachment 330540

ooo-ribay 10-09-2018 01:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1952 Star Cal decal. I love the look on "The Barber's" face. :D

Scott Garner 10-11-2018 05:03 AM

HOF Bob Lemon 1948 no-hitter locker room celebration photo

2 Attachment(s)
I recently picked up this original press photo of Bob Lemon's 1948 no-hitter celebration in DET.

pologrounds 10-11-2018 09:16 PM

1903 Stanford Lithograph

1 Attachment(s)
Restored by Art of Restoration
Framed by Edgewise Arts

ooo-ribay 10-15-2018 04:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Cut from an SF Muni bus destination roll. The black image measures 7.5" x 24". Muni ran bus service to Candlestick from 1979 through the 1990s. Around the millennium, these rolls were replaced by digital displays.

parker1b2 10-15-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ooo-ribay (Post 1819970)
Cut from an SF Muni bus destination roll. The black image measures 7.5" x 24". Muni ran bus service to Candlestick from 1979 through the 1990s. Around the millennium, these rolls were replaced by digital displays.

That's cool Rob. Fits right in with your collection.

RackPackManiac 10-17-2018 02:30 PM

Tim McAuliffe Red Sox Hats

2 Attachment(s)
Found two of these at a resale store today

sicollector1954 10-17-2018 02:48 PM

Peaches

3 Attachment(s)
A couple of the items I picked up at the local estate sale.

whiteymet 10-17-2018 04:43 PM

baseball wallet

4 Attachment(s)
Have had the Burdette wallet shown for awhile. Just found the packaging.

Anyone ever see this before or have others? I also have a Ted Williams wallet just like this, but not the package.

Fred

baseball tourist 10-17-2018 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicollector1954 (Post 1820490)

Wow! Nice group.

ooo-ribay 10-17-2018 07:30 PM

Those wallets are sweet! Would love to see more.

btcarfagno 10-17-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sicollector1954 (Post 1820490)

Love it. Love it. Love it.

GaryPassamonte 10-18-2018 10:53 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Lemon Peel

perezfan 10-18-2018 11:31 AM

Magnificent Lemon Peel, Gary. Condition looks terrific... it's so tough to find authentic ones these days, let alone in great shape. Congrats!

Fred:
Never seen the original packaging to those Wallets... and that's right along the lines of what I collect. Gotta be uber-rare.

I have similar Jackie Robinson and Joe DiMaggio Wallets from the '40s - 50s, but they are leather (as opposed to vinyl). And both have a Willard Mullin caricature on the reverse side. Great stuff!

Bill Rayburn 10-18-2018 11:57 AM

Great ball Gary, thanks for posting.

GaryPassamonte 10-18-2018 03:43 PM

Thanks Mark and Bill. The ball is an exceptional example.

jpop43 10-18-2018 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When the 19th C. well runs a little dry, I always have my 1950s HoF endorsed bats! This trio are very recent acquisitions and nice additions to that niche of the collection, and I'm particularly fond of the pre-1953 Larry Berra endorsed bat.

www.dugouttreasures.com

JoeDfan 10-20-2018 04:12 PM

Mail Day!

3 Attachment(s)
I picked up this Big Papi bat after watching it for a while. I am fairly certain that it is a gamer (or at least issued), but I don't know how to figure out how to date the bat.
Does anyone know how to do that?

I also got my Gehrig Kren Special bat back after a short trip to Mears. I am very glad to have that back in the baseball room!

chlankf 10-20-2018 05:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Happy to add these negatives of players from 1955 Des Moines Bruins and 1956 Des Moines Bruins wives in uniform.

CarltonHendricks 10-21-2018 11:35 PM

1895 America's Cup Telegram - Defender vs Valkyrie III

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/pcapcP.jpg

A VERY EARLY BIRDS-EYE ACCOUNT
Picked up this telegram tonight off eBay...great content...great dip pen ink... and quite legible...and very interesting because it was apparenlty a very early first hand account that was correct at the time it was written...but the outcome was changed and Defender declared the winner...

The telegram is regarding the 1895 America's Cup race between the United States and England...Defender represented the United States...Valkyrie III represented England...From what I learned the race was made up of five regattas...according to Wikipedia this telegram would have been regarding the second regatta on September 10th, see below...

Although the telegram says Valkyrie won and crossed the line 40 seconds ahead of Defender (it was actually 47 seconds), obviously it was written early on, as Defender was nevertheless declared the winner because right before the race was to begin Valkyrie's boom struck and damaged the Defender and Defender was leeward of "Valkyrie III" at the time of collision...So the part of the telegram that says "Valkyrie ran into Defender and broke a mast" was right on!...Defender ended up winning the best of the five regattas to win the America's Cup...

Second race
The second race occurred on Tuesday September 10, 1895. The race was set as a triangle course with each leg having a length of ten miles. In the pre-start maneuvering, "Valkyrie III"'s boom struck "Defender", severing the starboard spreader. "Valkyrie III" lead throughout the race, although "Defender" closed the gap between the boats in the second and third legs of the race. "Valkyrie III" crossed the line forty-seven seconds before "Defender". However, after hearing the protest from "Defender" against "Valkyrie III", the Race Committee awarded "Defender" the race as it found that "Defender" had right of way over "Valkyrie III" as "Defender" was leeward of "Valkyrie III" at the time of collision. -Wikipedia

Not a word in the listing about America's Cup...Even though I was the only bidder...really got battered on the price...$5.00...

LISTING TITLE
EXTREMELY RARE YACHTING TELEGRAM preWWII Nautical racing Document

LISTING DESCRIPTION
It's about 5 by 7 inches. Clearly most symbol for friendly. There's some split some cracks file fold etcetera. Condition is as shown. High bidder agrees to pay $5 for priority mail Shipping throughout the United States. We welcome International bitters please email us for shipping quote before placing a bid.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/WEuGa9.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/sovdEl.png

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/4oiEnx.png

Defender (1895 yacht)

Sponsering Yacht club: New York Yacht Club

Nation: United States

Designers:Nathanael Greene Herreshoff

Builder: Herreshoff Manufacturing Company

Launched:1895

Owners:
William Kissam Vanderbilt,
Edwin Dennison Morgan,
Charles Oliver Iselin

Skipper: Henry C. Haff

Specifications:
Displacement - 151.5 tons
Length - 123 ft 0 in (Length overall)
89 ft 1.5 in (Length at the waterline)
Beam - 23 ft 1 in
Draft - 19 ft 1 in
Sail area - 12,602 sq ft

Fate: Broken up in 1901

Scott Garner 10-22-2018 06:13 PM

Sandy Koufax 1st no-hitter game used ball

6 Attachment(s)
I recently added this game used ball from HOF Sandy Koufax's 1st no-hitter. This ball originated from long-time NL umpire Stan Landes.
Stan Landes was the 2nd base umpire in Sandy's 1st of 4 career no-hitters on June 30, 1962.
The fledgling NY Mets in their inaugural season were the victims in Koufax's 5-0 whitewash (13 K's). Landes gifted this ball and two other game used balls to a young Dodger fan from the LA area.

I'm very proud to add this historic ball to my advanced no-hitter collection. I now have game used balls from HOF no-hit kings Nolan Ryan (6 of his 7 no-hitters), Sandy Koufax (his first of 4 no-hitters) and Bob Feller (his 2nd of 3 no-hitters).

This ball is a nice compliment to my signed full ticket and scored program from Koufax's 1st no-hitter

71buc 10-22-2018 06:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Awsome stuff Scott! I added this Clemente Advisory staff photo to my collection after MANY years I finally landed one.

whiteymet 10-22-2018 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Garner (Post 1821574)
I recently added this game used ball from HOF Sandy Koufax's 1st no-hitter. This ball originated from long-time NL umpire Stan Landes.
Stan Landes was the 2nd base umpire in Sandy's 1st of 4 career no-hitters on June 30, 1962.
The fledgling NY Mets in their inaugural season were the victims in Koufax's 5-0 whitewash. Landes gifted this ball and two other game used balls to a young Dodger fan from the LA area.

I'm very proud to add this historic ball to my advanced no-hitter collection. I now have game used balls from HOF no-hit kings Nolan Ryan (6 of his 7 no-hitters), Sandy Koufax (his first of 4 no-hitters) and Bob Feller (his 2nd of 3 no-hitters).

This ball is a nice compliment to my signed full ticket and scored program from Koufax's 1st no-hitter

Scott:

Here is a photo of the Koufax Fan Club "patch" I PM'ed you about

Fred

Scott Garner 10-22-2018 07:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71buc (Post 1821585)
Awsome stuff Scott! I added this Clemente Advisory staff photo to my collection after MANY years I finally landed one.

Thanks! Sweet photo, Mike.
Ironically, I just recently added a similar Harvey Haddix advisory photo like yours. These are way cool!

baseball tourist 10-23-2018 03:14 PM

2 vintage cabinet photos - Hockey & Lacrosse

4 Attachment(s)
Canada's two official National sports - Hockey and Lacrosse, covered in one purchase!

Would you place the era to c. 1910 or earlier?

Huysmans 10-24-2018 07:44 AM

Nice photos Chris.
Both appear to be before 1910, with the hockey photo likely circa-1905.
I hope this info helps.

Brent

baseball tourist 10-24-2018 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huysmans (Post 1821855)
Nice photos Chris.
Both appear to be before 1910, with the hockey photo likely circa-1905.
I hope this info helps.

Brent

Thanks Brent!