Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Goudey R319 Ruth #144 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=237504)

Leon 03-28-2017 09:39 AM

Goudey R319 Ruth #144

This can be a lesson for a lot of collectors. It might be the most honest description I have seen on ebay in a while. If you have been doing this long enough you can feel the sellers pain...

1933 GOUDEY BABE RUTH GRADED 4.0 READ READ READ

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1933-GOUDEY-...3D142321415526

canjond 03-28-2017 10:09 AM

Nice duplication on a PSA case, too.

mattjc1983 03-28-2017 10:12 AM

I think I ran across this one a week or two ago. I agree, props to the seller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pclpads 03-28-2017 11:23 AM

BRGS? WTF is that? Back Room Grading Service? :mad:

bbcard1 03-28-2017 11:51 AM

That is an enviable fake.

Jeffrompa 03-28-2017 12:06 PM

For the seller

Heartache only

GasHouseGang 03-28-2017 12:52 PM

I'm not really sure I believe him. Call me a skeptic, but that would be a good way to get people to bid on your fake card. He may just be telling a good story to lure in buyers that otherwise wouldn't give his listing the time of day.

jcc6252 03-28-2017 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1645398)
I'm not really sure I believe him. Call me a skeptic, but that would be a good way to get people to bid on your fake card. He may just be telling a good story to lure in buyers that otherwise wouldn't give his listing the time of day.

+1 First thing that came to mind, also.

Gobucsmagic74 03-28-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1645398)

Well, I guess it's possible. Are you working on the assumption that a potential buyer has pity for the seller or that they actually are hoping the card might somehow be real? I mean I think the guy makes it pretty clear he screwed up and that it's not authentic

GasHouseGang 03-28-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1645427)
Well, I guess it's possible. Are you working on the assumption that a potential buyer has pity for the seller or that they actually are hoping the card might somehow be real? I mean I think the guy makes it pretty clear he screwed up and that it's not authentic

I guess I feel like he's trying to say, "It's so good, you won't be able to tell it's not real. It's so good it even fooled me". This statement might make some people think they can buy it and scam someone else since it was good enough to fool this guy. Or at the very least, you can fool your friends. Wouldn't anyone else have returned it for a refund or be so mad that they destroyed it so no one else got ripped off? Here is the original pitch in his ad in case it disappears:

I BOUGHT THIS AS ORIGINAL BUT NOW
I FIRMLY BELIEVE IT TO BE A HIGHLY DECEPTIVE REPRINT
IT WILL BLOW YOUR FRIENDS MIND

I AM SELLING IT AS A REPRINT

AS IS. NO RETURNS

DO YOUR HOMEWORK,I didnt

pokerplyr80 03-28-2017 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcc6252 (Post 1645404)
+1 First thing that came to mind, also.

Same here. Unfortunate if the story is true, but it sounds more to me like a ploy to sell a reprint.

1952boyntoncollector 03-28-2017 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GasHouseGang (Post 1645467)
I guess I feel like he's trying to say, "It's so good, you won't be able to tell it's not real. It's so good it even fooled me". This statement might make some people think they can buy it and scam someone else since it was good enough to fool this guy. Or at the very least, you can fool your friends. Wouldn't anyone else have returned it for a refund or be so mad that they destroyed it so no one else got ripped off? Here is the original pitch in his ad in case it disappears:

I BOUGHT THIS AS ORIGINAL BUT NOW
I FIRMLY BELIEVE IT TO BE A HIGHLY DECEPTIVE REPRINT
IT WILL BLOW YOUR FRIENDS MIND

I AM SELLING IT AS A REPRINT

AS IS. NO RETURNS

DO YOUR HOMEWORK,I didnt

Agreed

Leon 03-28-2017 10:29 PM

I am with Dan on this one. Iin my experiences when people have said they are selling a reprint or believe it to be one, I believe them. When I didn't believe them I was wrong.

JustinD 03-29-2017 04:43 AM

I've just reached the point over the years that I have absolutely zero pity for people that buy this crap. That also includes the morons bidding 46 dollars for this paperweight.

I have never dropped thousands on a blind grasp in the dark and do not plan to.

Gobucsmagic74 03-29-2017 06:03 AM

Oh I agree completely. Whether the seller is trying to use some sort of psychological ploy or not he states more than once that the card is a reprint, so I'm not sure why anyone would assume otherwise and bid on it regardless of the "quality".

Snapolit1 03-29-2017 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1645575)
Oh I agree completely. Whether the seller is trying to use some sort of psychological ploy or not he states more than once that the card is a reprint, so I'm not sure why anyone would assume otherwise and bid on it regardless of the "quality".

I'm a miserably cynical East Coast type. I think he is basically saying this is so good you may be able to pull a heist on someone else and make a bundle.

Leon 03-29-2017 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1645589)
I'm a miserably cynical East Coast type. I think he is basically saying this is so good you may be able to pull a heist on someone else and make a bundle.

Nothing personal but I think that is just ridiculous. You should have just stopped after your first sentence. Then at least we could be in agreement. :)