Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Football Cards Forum (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   1958 Topps cello opened by new breaker; pretty solid (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=273336)

swarmee 09-07-2019 04:44 PM

1958 Topps cello opened by new breaker; pretty solid

https://forums.collectors.com/discus...p-it-holy-moly

Figured if you didn't frequent the PSA/CU board, you might still want to see it.

LuckyLarry 09-07-2019 09:17 PM

Quite a production for 449 YouTube subscribers but you said he was new. That was a quite a pack! Several times he mentions "equity pack". Members purchase equity in his pack breaks and:
"each share purchased is equal to a percentage of all the cards valued in the pack"
Sound effects and some kind of wild spinning wheel. Of course I did skip ahead to the actual 1958 cello pack opening. Thanks for the link.
Larry

swarmee 09-08-2019 05:00 AM

Well, new to me.

samosa4u 09-08-2019 11:53 AM

I really enjoyed the video!

So in his first cello pack opening, he pulled a Jim Brown rookie and then in his second cello pack he got another one? Wow! I know the first one is missing a corner, but still, it's crazy to pull them back-to-back like that.

Now I'm not an expert on cello packs, but it looks like these were not machine sorted. It looks like a lot of the big names were put into these packs to make the kids happy back in the day.

Aquarian Sports Cards 09-08-2019 05:26 PM

Missing a corner? New from a pack? I didn't watch so shame on me, but are we sure these aren't loaded "packs" to entice buyers to future breaks?

bounce 09-15-2019 08:16 AM

they opened graded packs. one was a psa 4, the other a psa 6.

jefferyepayne 09-15-2019 09:02 AM

Pack rips like this remind me of cards selling on home shopping network back in the glory days ...

There are so many scammers in this part of the hobby that you might as well just put your money on a roulette number in Vegas. And I can never tell whether those that post these to hobby sites are doing it because they really like these breaks or are being paid to promote them and attract players/viewers.

But each to their own so if you enjoy watching these, have fun!

jeff

Peter_Spaeth 09-15-2019 09:10 AM

Unitas and Brown consecutively, what are the odds?

HRBAKER 09-15-2019 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1916991)
Unitas and Brown consecutively, what are the odds?

C'mon Peter, probably highly likely. They were graded packs.

Peter_Spaeth 09-15-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 1917029)
C'mon Peter, probably highly likely. They were graded packs.

The theatrics the guy does with his hands are ridiculous IMO.

swarmee 09-18-2019 06:10 PM

The flip started with 18,000,000, which means the pack was graded at least 6 years ago. So no, this guy didn't plant two cards and then get it past Steve at BBCE and into a PSA holder.

Exhibitman 09-22-2019 12:33 PM

Don't you remember as a kid buying a stack of packs and getting the same GDMF cards in sequence repeatedly? Used to happen all the time in Topps packs in the 1970s. One year I remember getting a Sixto Lezcano in every pack, or so it seemed. I also know that there are some folks who've deciphered the sorting sequence and know from looking at a cello pretty much who will be in there.

The 1958 set is a 132 card issue, so one sheet. No SPs. Cellos had 12 cards per. 9.1% of a set in each pack, so your odds of getting a Brown randomly are 1:11.

BillP 09-26-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1918665)
Don't you remember as a kid buying a stack of packs and getting the same GDMF cards in sequence repeatedly? Used to happen all the time in Topps packs in the 1970s. One year I remember getting a Sixto Lezcano in every pack, or so it seemed. I also know that there are some folks who've deciphered the sorting sequence and know from looking at a cello pretty much who will be in there.

The 1958 set is a 132 card issue, so one sheet. No SPs. Cellos had 12 cards per. 9.1% of a set in each pack, so your odds of getting a Brown randomly are 1:11.

As a kid in he 60's I would not buy rack packs if there were duplicates of ANY player that I could see. I know I passed on 2 66 racks with mays on top in a supermarket in Middleboro, ma. just did not want any duplicates. Later, same deal with 1970 racks in Woolworth's.

billp