Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help Authenticating A&G Album of Worlds Champions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=221773)

lampertb 04-30-2016 09:04 AM

Help Authenticating A&G Album of Worlds Champions

Hello there.

I recently purchased a portion of A17 Allen & Ginter album of World's Champions (2nd series, the one with the bugler, corresponding with N29 cards). I want a little help to ease my mind that it's authentic, though.

1) I expected the card stock to be identical to the N29 and N28 cards, but it's not; it's slightly thinner.
2) There are ghost images on the back of the players from (I assume) the next page in order, almost like a wet sheet transfer would occur on the backs of Goudeys.
3) The pages are glossy in the same way N29s are, showing shadings around the faces if held at certain angles, but between this and #1 above I am just a bit worried.

I am generally solid at telling old stock from new, but I wonder if anyone else owns an A&G original album (series probably does not matter) and can verify any of the above. Any help appreciated... thanks,

Richard

1880nonsports 04-30-2016 12:55 PM

all of what you mentioned

would be expected for your album. The same stones were used - hence a similar application of the inks (that shining you mention). I have many and have sold quite a few albums plus I have an N29 related album mounted and framed on my wall. You can send me a pic if it would make you feel better. Was it the one missing pages recently auction on bay or somewhere? BTW - not wet sheet transfer - you "T" and "E" guys kill me :-) - over time the layer of inking tends to ghost and eventually might even adhere to the opposing page over time - especially if moisture is introduced to it's environment at some point.

egbeachley 04-30-2016 09:19 PM

Yeah, pretty much all the old albums I've owned have the printed page "leak" onto the blank page set against it. I assume a wet sheet transfer would have the back image the same as the front image.

Jobu 05-01-2016 07:02 PM

If moisture has to be introduced is it not still a "wet sheet"? :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1880nonsports (Post 1533624)
would be expected for your album. The same stones were used - hence a similar application of the inks (that shining you mention). I have many and have sold quite a few albums plus I have an N29 related album mounted and framed on my wall. You can send me a pic if it would make you feel better. Was it the one missing pages recently auction on bay or somewhere? BTW - not wet sheet transfer - you "T" and "E" guys kill me :-) - over time the layer of inking tends to ghost and eventually might even adhere to the opposing page over time - especially if moisture is introduced to it's environment at some point.