Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Am I alone thinking that this is annoying? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=144474)

YankeeCollector 12-02-2011 10:42 PM

Am I alone thinking that this is annoying?

On eBay, as a seller, I really get annoyed at those bidders who will place 10 to 15 bids in a row, just to become the high bidder!!! I get real annoyed when someone does that in my auctions.

As a BUYER, I also get annoyed when Im bidding on something that theres always one person who always has to be the high bidder because if they get outbid they keep bidding until they re the high bidder! These tactics will usually inflate the price I want to pay on a card!

HRBAKER 12-02-2011 10:46 PM

Well then as a seller wouldn't the same tactics be inflating the price your selling a card for?

YankeeCollector 12-02-2011 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRBAKER (Post 944104)
Well then as a seller wouldn't the same tactics be inflating the price your selling a card for?

I dont want that as a seller because it may inadvertently turn off potential bidders.

wonkaticket 12-02-2011 11:04 PM

Why does it matter if a bidder places 100 bids in a row or one really big one?

So just so I understand as a seller it annoys you that bidders are fighting to be top bidder in your auction? It also annoys you when as a buyer you are outbid and someone is willing to pay more for something than you by bidding multiple times in a row...? :confused:

John

CW 12-02-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeCollector (Post 944103)
As a BUYER, I also get annoyed when Im bidding on something that theres always one person who always has to be the high bidder because if they get outbid they keep bidding until they re the high bidder! These tactics will usually inflate the price I want to pay on a card!

Ah yes, but then that may also inadvertently turn off potential bidders, which could drive the price lower, creating a paradox we can never escape, and a world in which we bid on auctions we can never win, but always win....

:confused:

:D

just go with the flow, man. Life's too short to be concerned with who's bidding on cards and how often, unless you suspect shill bidding (which eBay has made conveniently difficult to detect with hidden id's, but that's a different topic).

Good luck with your collection!

YankeeCollector 12-02-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonkaticket (Post 944106)
Why does it matter if a bidder places 100 bids in a row or one really big one?

So just so I understand as a seller it annoys you that bidders are fighting to be top bidder in your auction? It also annoys you when as a buyer you are outbid and someone is willing to pay more for something than you by bidding multiple times in a row...? :confused:

John

Well, I had a bidder place like 20 bids in a row in one of my auctions and I get another email from another bidder telling me Im shilling the auction!!!!

I dont mind someone paying more than me when the auction ends BUT i dont get why some bidders always need to be high bidders with 6 days to go, 5 days to go, 4 days to go....I place my initial bid and if I really want the card, I bid my price 30 seconds before auction ends.

barrysloate 12-03-2011 04:49 AM

Jim- but you weren't shilling the auction, and the bidder did nothing except make you more money. You have nothing to explain to other bidders. You did nothing wrong.

Leon 12-03-2011 07:41 AM

I am with Wonka on this one

I am with Wonka on this one. If someone wants to bid in my auctions, 1 time or 1000 times, bless their heart and thank you very much.

Ladder7 12-03-2011 08:08 AM

I can see your point, if a newer seller... However, If you've got longevity and excellent reviews, there's no need to worry about most bidders... You will always butt heads with the occasional turd of course.

A hallmark of a shady auction. The genuine Shill will normally cease bidding just under a milestone price., ie; $99.76, $498.50, $1,977. etc

In time, eBay's programmers will again "improve" their site so we can no longer spot these patterns.

sycks22 12-03-2011 08:13 AM

I understand where you're coming from Jim. A couple of months ago someone on ebay with 0 feedback bid 5+ x's on my auction and felt that others would think that I was shill bidding even though I wasn't. I have since blocked everyone under 5 feedback.

Jay Wolt 12-03-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sycks22 (Post 944166)
I understand where you're coming from Jim. A couple of months ago someone on ebay with 0 feedback bid 5+ x's on my auction and felt that others would think that I was shill bidding even though I wasn't. I have since blocked everyone under 5 feedback.

You're kidding?
Over my 15 years or so w/ eBay, I've had dozens of winners w/ 5 or less feedback
and EVERYONE has paid for their lot.
We all started w/ zero feedback.

vintagetoppsguy 12-03-2011 04:47 PM

I agree with the OP on this one for the reasons that Pete stated. As a seller, it just looks suspicious to other bidders when a zero (or low) feedback bidder bids on my item several times in a row. As a bidder, I wonder if I'm being shilled when I see the same activity.

If you're not going to snipe, then you should bid just once and make that your maximum proxy bid. In fact, I bet it would drive up final values if eBay implemented a rule only allowing bidders to bid twice on the same item. Buyers would know they only have two shots and I bet the bids would be higher.

Fred 12-03-2011 04:55 PM

Can you post a listing of one of your auctions? I'd like to see what you mean by that many bids by one bidder.

HRBAKER 12-03-2011 04:58 PM

I guess you could always put in your listing, "If you are going to bid in my auction, and then continue to bid until you are the highest bidder, please move on."

I see what you are saying about how it may look fishy. That would be the case if you had bidders doing that in every one of your listings maybe.

Isn't the whole point to have bidders?

Fred 12-03-2011 05:01 PM

Can you post a link to one of your auctions? I'd like to see what you mean by that many bids by one bidder.

mrmopar 12-03-2011 05:18 PM

As a buyer, it would be ridiculous to continue bidding against someone like you describe. The person who has to be top bidder drives the price up, but ONLY if someone else feels the need to outbid that person. If everyone waits and tosses out a snipe bid, then that person won't have a chance to bid up the price.

The best way I have found to deal with an auction is to place the smallest possible starting bid and then set up a snipe bid for the last seconds. This method still allows me to see who the winner is, if not me, and hopefully keeps the overall price as low as possible if I win.

Of course high early proxy bids and other snipers will affect prices regardless of what bidders do in between opening bid and the hammer falling, but I believe that there is no good reason to keep bidding for the sole purpose of being high bidder.

freakhappy 12-03-2011 05:32 PM

bidding

Jim,

I can relate to what you are saying. I believe people can look at this in a few different ways. Of course we want people to bid on our items, but when someone makes several bids in a row, it looks like shilling and could easily decrease the number of people bidding on your auction...meaning a lower selling price :(

However, if someone feels the need to be the top bidder everyday, I don't have an issue with that at all...this may be frustating if you are continually getting outbid, but this is completely fair and it's just the way some people like to do it.

Also, if I'm going to bid on an item I will bid my highest amount or place a snipe bid for that amount...so either way I'm not going to go higher than I originally wanted to on an item.

Jewish-collector 12-03-2011 09:25 PM

Why are bothering with eBay at all. Just buy & consign from auction houses. :D

murcerfan 12-04-2011 05:58 PM

I think bidders should only be able to bid whatever the VCP is for the card, not a dollar more or less....and only be able to bid once in any given auction.
It would just be so much less frustrating. I also agree that anyone under 5 feedback should never be allowed to bid in any auction.

This way we will keep new punks from getting into this game and sellers would never be able to make a profit.

edhans 12-05-2011 10:34 AM

Re: Am I alone thinking that this is annoying?

Quote:

I think bidders should only be able to bid whatever the VCP is for the card, not a dollar more or less....and only be able to bid once in any given auction.
It would just be so much less frustrating. I also agree that anyone under 5 feedback should never be allowed to bid in any auction.

This way we will keep new punks from getting into this game and sellers would never be able to make a profit.
Looks like someone is trying to challenge Jeff for the sarcasm of the year award.

wonkaticket 12-05-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YankeeCollector (Post 944111)
I dont mind someone paying more than me when the auction ends BUT i dont get why some bidders always need to be high bidders with 6 days to go, 5 days to go, 4 days to go....I place my initial bid and if I really want the card, I bid my price 30 seconds before auction ends.

Dont ever go to a live auction those guys with the paddles (up & down & down & up) will drive you nuts, always trying to be top bidder :D

Cheers,

John

ddmnysports 12-05-2011 10:49 AM

Interestingly, all of the repiles to your post are relevant and accurate. Hopefully you're now OK with how things go based on the responses you received. I understand you're feelings on the subject and as I believe one reply implied, it's better to be able to stay even-keeled about as many things as possible-given how many things are potential sources of aggravation these days. Keep buying, selling and enjoying the time you spend doing it. If it get's too aggravating, do less of it or come up with some strategies like some suggested to minimize the effects of what people are bound to do. Enjoy the holidays!- G. Greene

ddmnysports 12-05-2011 10:55 AM

OY!!

tiger8mush 12-05-2011 01:27 PM

Whilst the pissants continue to argue about bidding tactics, we have quietly placed high bids on 32 new ultra high grade rare type cards for America's Toughest Wantlist.