Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1935 Negro League All-Star Voting Broadside (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=265423)

bdecsports 02-05-2019 07:37 AM

1935 Negro League All-Star Voting Broadside

5 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I recently acquired this 1935 Negro League baseball display piece, and originally it was a broadside promoting your favorite players to be voted into the All-Star game. The players include: Martin Dihigo, Mule Suttles, Cool Papa Bell, Jud Wilson, Willie Foster, Turkey Stearns, and Oscar Charleston etc. The deadline to vote was Aug. 3rd, and the game was played on Aug. 11th at Comiskey Park.

The broadside at some point over the years was unfortunately cut down, but luckily not discarded. Does anyone have a fully intact example of this broadside to see if there were more players or more printed text that were not preserved?

Thanks,

Bryan Dec

810-664-1790

Hankphenom 02-05-2019 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdecsports (Post 1852186)
Hi,

I recently acquired this 1935 Negro League baseball display piece, and originally it was a broadside promoting your favorite players to be voted into the All-Star game. The players include: Martin Dihigo, Mule Suttles, Cool Papa Bell, Jud Wilson, Willie Foster, Turkey Stearns, and Oscar Charleston etc. The deadline to vote was Aug. 3rd, and the game was played on Aug. 11th at Comiskey Park.

The broadside at some point over the years was unfortunately cut down, but luckily not discarded. Does anyone have a fully intact example of this broadside to see if there were more players or more printed text that were not preserved?

Thanks,

Bryan Dec

810-664-1790

You've seen a lot more old stuff than I have, Bryan, but are you sure about this one? I'm suspicious of that yellow faux-aged look a lot of those phony Negro League photos coming out of Ohio have.

bdecsports 02-05-2019 09:23 AM

1935 Negro League Display

Hi Hank,

100% from 1935, and the players positions are written in period fountain pen on their pictures. Seeing it in person would eliminate your doubts.

Regards,

Bryan

Hankphenom 02-05-2019 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdecsports (Post 1852214)
Hi Hank,

100% from 1935, and the players positions are written in period fountain pen on their pictures. Seeing it in person would eliminate your doubts.

Regards,

Bryan

Coming from you, I would take that to the bank!

CurtisFlood 02-05-2019 10:24 AM

Awesome piece Bryan.

bcbgcbrcb 02-21-2019 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bryan:

Very interesting piece that you have there. I have never heard about the existence of that particular piece nor anything like it that was produced for all-star fan voting purposes. It is certainly true that fans voted for their favorite ballplayers to be selected for most of the Negro League All-Star Games. Maybe I'll get a chance to see it in person one day, I'm now living in Central Florida so maybe possible?

For comparison purposes, I do have a large-size 1935 Negro League Broadside with composite photos of 6 out of the 9 NL ballclubs from that season. If I recall correctly, there are around 15 Hall of Famers pictured along with numerous other potential Hall of Famer's. If is one of the crown jewels of my collection, I picked it up nearly 10 years ago now. Here's a picture of it...…..

triwak 02-23-2019 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's my Chicago American Giants cut-out, that was originally part of the same item as Phil's (above). Normally, I don't do "cut-outs," but couldn't resist with this one. Great items, guys!!

Jason19th 02-24-2019 08:15 AM

I love this peice - great find. I am trying to figure out is are the photos pasted on paper (where you could actually peel off each image ) or is it a composite print with the images actually part of the print.

bdecsports 02-25-2019 11:14 AM

1935 Negro League Display

Cool item Phil..I will have the piece at the Philly show this weekend (booth #102). Hope you are enjoying the move to FL.

Jason, each player was adhered to a modern board by the guy I got it from, so each of them could be removed individually.

Thanks,

Bryan

Leon 02-27-2019 09:21 AM

Cool broadside. If you still have it at the time, try to bring it to the show you are doing with us, here in Frisco. I would love to see it in person.Sorry I can't help in showing another. Almost all broadsides are scarce, as you well know.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdecsports (Post 1858067)
Cool item Phil..I will have the piece at the Philly show this weekend (booth #102). Hope you are enjoying the move to FL.

Jason, each player was adhered to a modern board by the guy I got it from, so each of them could be removed individually.

Thanks,

Bryan

packs 02-27-2019 09:42 AM

Never mind, Baseball Reference does indeed make a reference to a fan vote for the 1935 game.

joshleland 02-28-2019 10:39 PM

no way

I respect your knowledge Bryan and your ethics but Hank I think your gut was right the first time. Look at those other pieces shown here. Although this was the tight fisted Negro Leagues the things they did were still quality, still professional. This was their ALL STAR game. Look at their programs for the All Star Classics and the World Series'. They were gorgeous. This is home made and done amateurishly. No way a professional baseball league of their weight would put out something junk. No way. Looks created, aged, and manipulative. Looks new.

Jason19th 03-01-2019 05:28 AM

I feel like everyone is missing what this is. As Bryan says the individual images were cut and pasted on modern boards. I would guess that this was from a supplement that was part of the Chicago Defender newspaper( which played a big role in setting up and advertising the east-west game) so its not a broadside and it’s not fake. It is someone cutting up a old newspaper and making a homemade display peice. It is still very cool and something I wish I had in my collection