Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   O/T A Bit of Irony in Advertising....1957 Baseball Postcard (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=245906)

Leon 10-08-2017 09:59 AM

O/T A Bit of Irony in Advertising....1957 Baseball Postcard

This postcard's content, with respect to the advertising, struck me a bit funny. The addressee could be interesting too....Could have been an invoice on how much was owed? And lastly, did the batter hit a homer and they are waiting for the ball to be thrown back in? So many questions :).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXTLdCxMxBw

http://luckeycards.com/scrooges.jpg

CTDean 10-08-2017 10:36 AM

Very nice postcard

The sender is trying to win the Travel showcase with his guess. Interesting that
someone at the Price Is Right saved his card.

whitehse 10-08-2017 10:40 AM

From Wikipedia....Not the most reliable source but I think in this case its one of the best

Home Viewer Showcases
The Price Is Right frequently featured a home viewer "Showcase", a multi-prize package for which home viewers were invited to submit their bids via postcard. The viewer who was closest to the actual retail price without going over won everything in the Showcase, but one item was sometimes handmade so the viewer could not check the price of all the items. The term "showcase" was later replaced by "sweepstakes".

Very often, home viewers were stunningly accurate with their bids, including several viewers who guessed the price correct down to the penny. In such a case, the tied contestants were informed and asked to give the price of a specific item; this continued until one of the contestants broke the tie (re-ties and all-overbids were thrown out.)

The Home Viewer Showcase was reformatted as the final round of the current CBS version. The two Showcase Showdown (since 1975; before then, and on the 1970s and 1980s syndicated shows, the top two overall winners automatically advanced to the Showcase round) winners on the current version's show compete to bid on separate showcases of prizes, with the contestant who bids closer (without going over) to the actual retail price of his/her own showcase winning the prizes contained within.

Home Viewer Showcases have also been featured on the CBS version, in 1972, 1978, annually from 1980–1987, 1990, and in 2011. Its format was unchanged through 1990, but the 2011 version, because of the advance in technology, changed to a ten-prizes-in-a-week format, with two prizes appearing per episode during the week. Each day the price of one of the prizes was revealed to the home audience, and the price of the second prize (which was in either of the two Showcases) was not provided. Instead of postcards, the bids had to be submitted through the show's website.[1]

Tedw9 10-08-2017 04:46 PM

Wow, that is really cool! I'd be geeked to find something like that in my travels. I love offbeat things like this. My wife found an early 1900's Singer postcard from Fall River, Massachusetts and the store managers name which is on back, is Borden. Didn't realize that till we got home.

Awesome crossover piece! Thanks for sharing. :)

mybuddyinc 10-08-2017 05:08 PM

So FUN :):):):):) at so many levels.

Agree Right Fielder is asking guy beyond fence to throw back HR ball.

Wind blowing hard to right.

The players "seem" a tad big for Little League.

Man, those front row HP seats are pretty sweet !!!!

Finally, I have a feeling that Scrooge's Bar was one of those places, where you walked in at 18, and walked out at 80 .................... ;);););)

Yes, Fun, Scott :rolleyes:

Leon 10-08-2017 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybuddyinc (Post 1708583)
So FUN :):):):):) at so many levels.

Agree Right Fielder is asking guy beyond fence to throw back HR ball.

Wind blowing hard to right.

The players "seem" a tad big for Little League.

Man, those front row HP seats are pretty sweet !!!!

Finally, I have a feeling that Scrooge's Bar was one of those places, where you walked in at 18, and walked out at 80 .................... ;);););)

Yes, Fun, Scott :rolleyes:

You are right, it does say "field". Maybe they are older and playing on a little league field....

frankbmd 10-09-2017 09:08 AM

Bessemer, MI is a small town.

To get four umpires there for a little league game seems unlikely.

To have four umpires there for any game seems problematic as well.

I agree with the comment about the wind direction.:D

I think the winner of “The Price Is Right” contest that week was from Tennessee, but I could be wrong.:eek:

7nohitter 10-09-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedw9 (Post 1708575)
Wow, that is really cool! I'd be geeked to find something like that in my travels. I love offbeat things like this. My wife found an early 1900's Singer postcard from Fall River, Massachusetts and the store managers name which is on back, is Borden. Didn't realize that till we got home.

Awesome crossover piece! Thanks for sharing. :)

Ted,

Awesome find! You may have to explain though as many might not understand the connection....

MikeGarcia 10-09-2017 09:51 AM

Yeah

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1708721)
Ted,

Awesome find! You may have to explain though as many might not understand the connection....

..Yeah I was just about ready to axe him that....

Tedw9 10-09-2017 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7nohitter (Post 1708721)
Ted,

Of course. I just assumed....should give myself 41 whacks. :D

Fall River Mass. is the home of the famous Lizzie Borden murders.

“Lizzie Borden had an axe, gave her mother 40 whacks. When she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41.”

MikeGarcia 10-09-2017 07:09 PM

Nothing is sacred....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tedw9 (Post 1708859)
Of course. I just assumed....should give myself 41 whacks. :D

Fall River Mass. is the home of the famous Lizzie Borden murders.

“Lizzie Borden had an axe, gave her mother 40 whacks. When she saw what she had done, she gave her father 41.”

".. But you can't chop your Papa up in Massachusetts And then get dressed And go out for a walk No, you can't chop your Papa up in Massachusetts Massachusetts is a far cry From New York " -- --The Kingston Trio , about ninety-five years ago