Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The ultimate trade up (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=238153)

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-10-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1649552)
Its more difficult to upgrade a collection by making fair deals at the time and trying to figure out the future market on the card versus getting charity.

If someone wants to downgrade a card for your card then they will want you to come up with cash to make up the difference unless its just charity.

It's not charity. There is no such thing as a "fair trade" sure in a vacuum things can be fair but with the every changing market what's fair today may not be to
Oreos. That being said, I'm not looking for ANY charity. If someone is willing to make a deal they are doing it because they believe it meets their needs too. Obviously you would not be a good partner for what I am trying to achieve. I know if I had a card with 10 and I didn't want it, and someone had a card worth 8... of my card wasn't as liquid, I'd have no problem making a swap knowing I got rid of a tough sell and got what I want. Not trying to convince you. There's no one sayi we have to trade.

1952boyntoncollector 04-10-2017 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1649550)
I respectfully disagree. If someone wants the card, and they have somehing they don't want and isn't as desirable, I believe they would rather trade down to what they want than wait for a sale on that item that may take a year.

Is it your contention that this none desirable card you would be obtaining by someone in exchange for your card if it was to sell on ebay alongside with your card in a no reserve auction would sell for the same as yours or less? If thats the case than I understand what your are saying..

You did say you wanted a card that is 'worth more'

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-10-2017 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector (Post 1649555)
Is it your contention that this none desirable card you would be obtaining by someone in exchange for your card if it was to sell on ebay alongside with your card in a no reserve auction would sell for the same as yours or less? If thats the case than I understand what your are saying..

You did say you wanted a card that is 'worth more'

I want a card that is not as desirable.

Psa 10 of a hi number with a small small market which may not sell well at auction. It to the right buyer is a 900 dollar card. But that buyer may not come for a year. Opportunity cost with what will even the trade out.

frankbmd 04-10-2017 11:29 AM

A Problem Solver

1) Start with a 69 Mantle
Trade for a 68 Mantle
Then trade for a 67 Mantle
.....................................'
then trade for a 53 Mantle
and finally trade for a 52 Mantle.

2) Start a thread requesting 17 volunteers to participate in Step 1)

3) Complete 17 trades.

Problem solved.

I will accept your T205 WaJo in exchange for this advice.:eek:

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-10-2017 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1649561)
Trade for a 68 Mantle

3) Complete 17 trades.

Problem solved.

Damn I wanted this to be fun but a few people who have already posted on here rain on most of my threads. It's okay. Offer up. Not looking for charity. If you want the card and wanna unload something it'll be easy.

Here's an example.

Yesterday at the show . I had a binder of 80 low grade star cards with a trade in value of maybe 75. Traded 5 cards for a 54 ex oc billly Martin.

Then traded the Martin and rest of the binder for a 66 mantle VG raw (he had triples)

Then traded that mantle for a 55 banks raw ex and 66 Koufax raw ex (he needed a mantle)

Then finally traded that for a psa 5 maris RC. (He had 2)

Trades don't have to be fair if they make sense. That's my point.

bnorth 04-10-2017 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1649561)
Trade for a 68 Mantle

3) Complete 17 trades.

Problem solved.

I really like that idea Frank. During the quest you would have owned a complete Topps Mantle run. Stephen could use the T205 WoJo, The 2000 WS bullpen home plate, and the 1952 Topps Mays as his starting point.

T206Collector 04-10-2017 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1649564)
Trades don't have to be fair if they make sense.

Best quote ever. Belongs in a fortune cookie!

autograf 04-10-2017 12:11 PM

I hate to be "that guy" but isn't it WaJo? And that is a really pretty WaJo or WoJo depending on the answer to this. Good luck on the 52 Mantle quest. I need one for my set.............

bn2cardz 04-10-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE (Post 1649564)
Damn I wanted this to be fun but a few people who have already posted on here rain on most of my threads. It's okay. Offer up. Not looking for charity. If you want the card and wanna unload something it'll be easy.

Here's an example.

Yesterday at the show . I had a binder of 80 low grade star cards with a trade in value of maybe 75. Traded 5 cards for a 54 ex oc billly Martin.

Then traded the Martin and rest of the binder for a 66 mantle VG raw (he had triples)

Then traded that mantle for a 55 banks raw ex and 66 Koufax raw ex (he needed a mantle)

Then finally traded that for a psa 5 maris RC. (He had 2)

Trades don't have to be fair if they make sense. That's my point.

Two things that differ from your example and what you did in your original post:
1) I am sure you didn't go to each person telling them you are willing to trade for anything as long as it was "Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

2) You worked in quantities as many people suggested over attempting a 1:1 trade.

There are several times I have traded and was the benefactor of the better end, but I didn't go into it telling the other person that was my objective and they should keep that in mind before attempting the trade. Also I am sure I have been on the other side where I left something on the table, but again that other person didn't leave me feeling like I got the worse end of the deal.

EYECOLLECTVINTAGE 04-10-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bn2cardz (Post 1649577)
Two things that differ from your example and what you did in your original post:
1) I am sure you didn't go to each person telling them you are willing to trade for anything as long as it was "Just something I can trade that is worth more than what I am offering here."

2) You worked in quantities as many people suggested over attempting a 1:1 trade.

There are several times I have traded and was the benefactor of the better end, but I didn't go into it telling the other person that was my objective and they should keep that in mind before attempting the trade. Also I am sure I have been on the other side where I left something on the table, but again that other person didn't leave me feeling like I got the worse end of the deal.

lol I actually did. I was forth coming. I said hey I have this mantle I will take whatever you want to get rid of that you don't think you can move easily as long as it's worth more than this mantle. Dealers actually said they liked the fact I wasn't wasting their time and we worked together to find a card they didn't mind getting rid of. Trade don't have to be fair if they make sense.