Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Member Introduction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=220225)

CardMD 03-28-2016 12:57 PM

New Member Introduction

7 Attachment(s)
Hello Net54,

I think I have spent long enough trolling around in the shadows that I should introduce myself. I am a long time collector in the Los Angeles area, and probably like a lot of people, collected as a kid in the 1990's and stopped when I went to college. I am picking it back up again and am having fun.

My dad and I had quite a collection going in the late 90's. We starting going to the Long Beach card / coin shows and initially got into collecting 1956 Topps. We bought mostly raw and eventually after many upgrades put together a beautiful nm/mint PSA 8-9 complete set with all HOFs mint 9! We sold that set as a whole and bought a bunch of great cards including: OJ / T206s / Goudeys / Playballs and traded / sold them over time.

I recently ran into a binder with scans of our old cards in them which got me back into the hobby. Looking through them amazed me at the great cards we once had. It also reminded me how much fun we had going to card shows (long beach and Anaheim). Many of the dealers we bought from are still very active. The major downside was seeing their current value - kind of depressed me!! Ultimately our collection got too expensive to keep and they all were sold.

I now have a son (7) and have introduced him to card collecting. He likes the shiny ones right now! I can't wait to take him to his first card show.

I myself have started over and am focusing on HOF T206s. I love mid grades 4.5-5 - they have great eye appeal and more easily affordable. I have especially grown fond of PSA 4.5s. I occasionally pick up early 50s Bowmans and 48 leaf HOFs. Would love a cap anson.

This board is a wonderful source. I have learned so much in the past few months. Navigating Ebay prior to finding this board was filled with many regrettable overpriced purchases. I am a little smarter now (alittle). I have already had a great trade with one board member and look forward to having many more.

I thought I would post some pics of our old cards because they are beautiful and fun to look at (some are quite valuable now). I am sure some of them are now owned by Net54 members. Let me know if you see your cards?

Anyways. Let me know if you have any nice HOF T206 in PSA 4.5-5 that you want to trade or sell. Thank you again.

-Aaron E.

ajjohnsonsoxfan 03-28-2016 01:11 PM

wow! You had some great looking cards. The Cobb and Johnson portraits are amazing!

Don't worry I'm sure you'll be able to get some of those back at some point and now it will be even more fun doing with your son. Welcome back to the hobby!

thescooper 03-28-2016 01:16 PM

Welcome Sir

Leon 03-28-2016 01:54 PM

You could buy a house or two with those today. Nice looking cards. So nice looking I was checking to see if it was April 1 yet. :) Welcome to the board.

Joshwesley 03-28-2016 02:07 PM

When did you sell the cards in your post?
Those are all amazing... Those t206 8 and 9's are incredibly rare/valuable.

Welcome back!

CardMD 03-28-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshwesley (Post 1520120)
When did you sell the cards in your post?
Those are all amazing... Those t206 8 and 9's are incredibly rare/valuable.

Welcome back!

Most in the early 2000s. I was off at college when I think they went.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

irv 03-28-2016 05:07 PM

I wish I could say I owned anyone of them!

Welcome to the site. :)

mrvster 03-28-2016 06:07 PM

holy shit!

what a way to enter!:eek::eek:

those cards are INSANE!!!!

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Welcome friend!:)

JollyElm 03-28-2016 06:28 PM

Too bad you don't have either of those Cobbs anymore. I would've traded my PSA 7 1988 Donruss Gregg Jefferies rookie card for one of those guys. ;)

Jdoggs 03-29-2016 04:09 PM

Welcome to the board and nice pictures you posted!

Enfuego 03-30-2016 03:29 PM

Welcome and those cards are insane!!!

gemmint77 03-30-2016 03:47 PM

Amazing cards in your "OLD" collection! Welcome to the boards.