Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Historic baseball outcomes (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330808)

Snapolit1 01-26-2023 07:30 AM

Historic baseball outcomes

1 Attachment(s)
Thought this was pretty cool.

Leon 01-26-2023 07:50 AM

Perfect game lost on 27th batter. Doh!!

Alaskanmade 01-26-2023 07:59 AM

Someone ran the numbers on Fernando Tatis's double grand slam inning and it came out to something like 1 in 12 million probability.

Lobo Aullando 01-26-2023 01:48 PM

"My baseball people loved Ken Phelps’ bat. They kept saying 'Ken Phelps, Ken Phelps.'"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 2308237)

jingram058 01-26-2023 02:49 PM

Quote:

Mike Mussina was one strike away from Perfecto in 2001...and melted. Wow.

Snapolit1 01-26-2023 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2308387)

I wonder if the hitters in these spots have mixed feelings at all after the fact. It's not like you become famous or even remembered for breaking up a perfect game. And the basehit you get could be in a 9-0 game where your team is not coming back. And you have to realize that you are denying a fellow player baseball immortality (and possibly hall of fame, lots of money, a new inflated contract, millions in promotional stuff, etc.) for busting it. I know the short answer is these guys are all fierce competitors and basically are trained to suceed and all that . . . .but I wonder if sometimes you don't feel a bit guilty of denying someone their moment in the sun and think back that maybe you wished it worked out a little differently. Maybe a hard hit ball in the gap that someone runs down instead.

mrreality68 01-26-2023 03:21 PM

That is awesome stat page and so many stories and histories within it

raulus 01-26-2023 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2308390)
I wonder if the hitters in these spots have mixed feelings at all after the fact. It's not like you become famous or even remembered for breaking up a perfect game. And the basehit you get could be in a 9-0 game where your team is not coming back. And you have to realize that you are denying a fellow player baseball immortality (and possibly hall of fame, lots of money, a new inflated contract, millions in promotional stuff, etc.) for busting it. I know the short answer is these guys are all fierce competitors and basically are trained to suceed and all that . . . .but I wonder if sometimes you don't feel a bit guilty of denying someone their moment in the sun and think back that maybe you wished it worked out a little differently. Maybe a hard hit ball in the gap that someone runs down instead.

I can tell you that Bob Brenly does not approve when a hitter breaks up a perfect game, particularly if they violate the unwritten rules:

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...344-story.html

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2011/05/27...en-davis-bunt/

jayshum 01-26-2023 07:52 PM

Quote:

Other than being remembered for throwing one, a pitcher may get some promotional opportunities, but I don't think a perfect game gets you any of the other things you mentioned. Don Larsen isn't getting into the Hall of Fame and no one's getting a big contract for a perfect game.

Casey2296 01-26-2023 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2308471)
Other than being remembered for throwing one, a pitcher may get some promotional opportunities, but I don't think a perfect game gets you any of the other things you mentioned. Don Larsen isn't getting into the Hall of Fame and no one's getting a big contract for a perfect game.

I dont disagree, but on one night a pitcher was perfect at his craft, and the folks in attendance got to watch that, that's the beauty of baseball that no other sport can offer.

Tabe 01-26-2023 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jingram058 (Post 2308387)

Dave Stieb had no-hitters in consecutive starts broken up after 26 outs in 1988. A year later, he had a perfect game broken up after 26 outs.

Fred 01-26-2023 09:26 PM

What about HR in last at bat. I know most of us know of one for sure.

doug.goodman 01-26-2023 09:35 PM

7 hits in a 9 inning game : 1

Grandslam on first career pitch seen : 2

Mike Eisenbath 01-26-2023 10:24 PM

I'd say if a guy is batter No. 27 after 26 consecutive outs for his team and he isn't trying to win the at-bat, then he didn't earn his pay that day. No one should be proud of a perfect game if the OT side, even just the final batter, gave it away.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

isiahfan 01-26-2023 10:38 PM

Quote:

Well..I can name 2 that I saw watching my Tigers...Milt Wilcox when I was a whipper snapper...and the Armando Galarraga...who was CRIMINALLY ROBBED

jethrod3 01-26-2023 11:14 PM

I was curious about the number of times home plate has been stolen. Turns out home has been stolen much more than I'd thought, which led to further research.

I found out that stealing second, third and home in the same inning is a rare event. It's happened only 26 times. Cobb did it 4 times, but interestingly, Henderson and Brock never pulled off that feat.

michael3322 01-26-2023 11:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just wanted to add to this the number 6 for "Lead-Off AND Walk Off Home Run in Same Game by Same Player"

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/fea...ame-game.shtml

Snapolit1 01-27-2023 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayshum (Post 2308471)

Don Larsen probably made millions signing photographs and baseballs his entire life.

Tabe 01-28-2023 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Eisenbath (Post 2308508)
I'd say if a guy is batter No. 27 after 26 consecutive outs for his team and he isn't trying to win the at-bat, then he didn't earn his pay that day. No one should be proud of a perfect game if the OT side, even just the final batter, gave it away.

100% agree. I don't care if it's 16-0. If you can drop a bunt and maybe start a rally, you're OBLIGATED to do it.

5-Tool Player 01-28-2023 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2308224)
Thought this was pretty cool.

Great numbers and facts !

Thank You

Shemp 01-28-2023 08:13 PM

Quote:

Ask a Mets fan who Jimmy Qualls is. His name is forever linked to Tom Seaver.