Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173599)

barrysloate 08-06-2013 04:18 AM

Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died

I opened the paper this morning to an obituary for Bruce Dorskind. I knew Bruce had been sick, so while I am very sad, this news does not come as a surprise. I believe he was 62. He struggled with heart problems for years and his situation only got worse.

I know Bruce was a polarizing figure on this board, but's let's try to keep this thread positive. He certainly was a character, but in person he was a good soul with a sense of humor and a generous spirit. I will miss him.

seablaster 08-06-2013 04:22 AM

I hope his commitment to work didn't exacerbate his health condition.

Life's too short as they say.

Rest in peace Bruce.

HRBAKER 08-06-2013 04:34 AM

RIP Bruce

AndyG09 08-06-2013 04:52 AM

RIP Mr. Dorskind. As recognized in Lipset's Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, he contributed a lot to our hobby.

Best,

Andy

benjulmag 08-06-2013 05:06 AM

I am numb. I saw Bruce only a few weeks ago. He and I go back over 25 years and I have always respected his passion for and knowledge of the hobby. I will miss him tremendously. I extend my condolences to his family and friends.

barrysloate 08-06-2013 05:08 AM

Corey- it was you who introduced me to Bruce sometime around 1990. The three of us shared a lot of good memories.

bijoem 08-06-2013 05:35 AM

That is very sad news Barry.

I enjoyed his company in-person at our NYC dinners and wish he shared more of that image on the boards.

62 is too young. RIP Bruce.

My condolences to his friends and family.

ullmandds 08-06-2013 05:43 AM

RIP Bruces...I hope you have found your peace?!

rjackson44 08-06-2013 05:48 AM

barry sorry for your loss of friend your a class act best. octavio

cyseymour 08-06-2013 05:56 AM

R.I.P. Bruce. This comes as quite a surprise. My condolences. The hobby just got a little less interesting. Sad news.

barrysloate 08-06-2013 05:59 AM

Thanks Octavio, those are kind words.

kkkkandp 08-06-2013 06:01 AM

Sad News

Being 62 myself, this resonates loudly with me.

RIP Bruce.

MBMiller25 08-06-2013 06:16 AM

RIP Bruce, far to young to leave this world.

sportscardpete 08-06-2013 06:18 AM

RIP.. Sad news. I found his posts funny and thought he brought up some really interesting topics.

mr.ginter 08-06-2013 06:40 AM

Rip

edited due to decency and respect.....

Matthew H 08-06-2013 06:45 AM

Tough news... I actually really liked when he stirred the pot and I was always bummed out when things went to far and he'd be suspended. After I saw a video interview of him I realized he was a normal guy, and that he had created this persona specifically for this board! He broke character a couple times, like when he offered copies of old publications to any one intrested.

Any way, the hobby lost a wealth of knowledge, this board probably lost its most intresting member, and I know many of you lost a friend.

Rest in peace, Bruce.

slidekellyslide 08-06-2013 06:53 AM

RIP Bruce

Condolences to his family and friends.

Michael Peich 08-06-2013 07:06 AM

As Barry noted, I rather liked Bruce's posts. I didn't agree with most of them, but he stirred the pot in interesting ways.

About five-six years ago I visited him in his New York apartment. It was an amazing experience as he pulled out all sorts of interesting cards and ephemera. I can still picture his baseball sheet music, much of it framed and hanging on his walls, as well as his Federal League material.

Visiting Bruce that day was among the highlights of my collecting experience. His collection displayed a knowledge and love of the early game that was impressive and inspiring.

RIP, Bruce.

Respectfully,
Mike

asoriano 08-06-2013 07:09 AM

Wow, very sad indeed! RIP Bruce.

GrayGhost 08-06-2013 07:11 AM

Dear God, I sold Bruce an item a few weeks ago and had issues being paid, even going as far as to mention the whole thing on a thread on here, and messaging Leon.

I feel like TOTAL CRAP Now...I had no idea he was sick...RIP Bruce...

T206Collector 08-06-2013 07:15 AM

A polarizing character. Always entertaining. Sometimes a little vindictive and vitriolic. I didn't know him personally, but I imagine he'd like to be remembered by his world class collection and his controversial approach to collecting.

Northviewcats 08-06-2013 07:23 AM

On Bruce's passing

Very sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. He was an iconic figure on this board. I enjoyed reading his posts, though I never was the target of his sharp wit. 62 is far to young. I feel sad for his family and friends.

Joe

Brian Van Horn 08-06-2013 07:42 AM

My condolences.

ErikV 08-06-2013 07:48 AM

Re:Bruce Dorskind

I haven't spoken to Bruce in quite some time. I personally
enjoyed reading his posts and his participation on the board.

Back in September 2010 he was working on his memoirs and
was hoping to have them published by March 2012. Does
anyone on the board know if they were ever published, and if
so, how I might get access to them?

ErikV

botn 08-06-2013 07:50 AM

Bruce and I never had a nice thing to say to one another but it is sad to hear of his passing. When I saw that he had consigned his Boston Garters piece to the last REA auction, my first thought was that he was sick.

ScottFandango 08-06-2013 07:58 AM

Condolences to those who called him a friend....

He had a passion for cards that not many could rival....RIP

barrysloate 08-06-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErikV (Post 1167296)
I haven't spoken to Bruce in quite some time. I personally
enjoyed reading his posts and his participation on the board.

Back in September 2010 he was working on his memoirs and
was hoping to have them published by March 2012. Does
anyone on the board know if they were ever published, and if
so, how I might get access to them?

ErikV

Erik,
I'm pretty sure he never tackled that project. He had actually asked me to help him with it and we had a meeting, but either deteriorating health or a change of heart ended it abruptly.

Jewish-collector 08-06-2013 08:03 AM

Sad news. My deepest condolences.

Leon 08-06-2013 08:05 AM

I had a mixed, strange relationship with Bruce as the moderator of the board. Whenever the other 3 moderators and myself would discuss Bruce, and discuss his membership after an escapade, it was usually 3 to 1, with me being the 1 that wanted to keep him on the board. Yet, Bruce usually looked at me as a foe, I wasn't. I was usually on his side, though admittedly it was tough sometimes. I am happy to say Bruce was in good standing on the board up to his day of passing. What an interesting character he was. He was certainly one of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby pertaining to the history of the hobby. We'll miss you Bruce. My condolences to Barry, Corey, other friends and family. RIP Bruces :(

JasonD08 08-06-2013 08:08 AM

RIP Bruce.

edhans 08-06-2013 08:15 AM

Re: Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died

Bruce and I had recently discussed a transaction that never came to fruition. The correspondence was always cordial and respectful. I wish I had the opportunity to meet him in person. The hobby will miss his passion and knowlwdge.

slidekellyslide 08-06-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1167309)
I had a mixed, strange relationship with Bruce as the moderator of the board. Whenever the other 3 moderators and myself would discuss Bruce, and discuss his membership after an escapade, it was usually 3 to 1, with me being the 1 that wanted to keep him on the board. Yet, Bruce usually looked at me as a foe, I wasn't. I was usually on his side, though admittedly it was tough sometimes. I am happy to say Bruce was in good standing on the board up to his day of passing. What an interesting character he was. He was certainly one of the most knowledgeable people in the hobby pertaining to the history of the hobby. We'll miss you Bruce. My condolences to Barry, Corey, other friends and family. RIP Bruces :(

Ha! Yes, I can vouch for those votes...interesting talks those were. I'm glad that his last few posts to the board were not bomb throwing debacles.

Here's the Bruce I wish we all could have known

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4eV...KjP9w&index=79

Al C.risafulli 08-06-2013 08:33 AM

The only time I met Bruce in person was at a dinner at Rob Lifson's; I sat in a room with Bruce and Jay Miller and just quietly listened to their conversation, marveling at how much knowledge Bruce had about hobby history. He was a virtual encyclopedia of early collectors.

We corresponded via email several times and he was always cordial, despite the fact that we did not always see eye to eye on the board.

Sad news to read this morning, coming back from the National. Condolences to his family.

-Al

jp1216 08-06-2013 08:36 AM

Dan,
Nice youtube find. RIP Bruce.

barrysloate 08-06-2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli (Post 1167326)
The only time I met Bruce in person was at a dinner at Rob Lifson's; I sat in a room with Bruce and Jay Miller and just quietly listened to their conversation, marveling at how much knowledge Bruce had about hobby history. He was a virtual encyclopedia of early collectors.

We corresponded via email several times and he was always cordial, despite the fact that we did not always see eye to eye on the board.

Sad news to read this morning, coming back from the National. Condolences to his family.

-Al

That was a nice evening Al. I remember it well.

canjond 08-06-2013 08:58 AM

Very sad news. I had the pleasure of having lunch/dinner with Bruce on many occasions here in NYC. As others have mentioned, his real life persona was very different (IMO) than his online persona, and I always found him to be a nice guy with incredible baseball knowledge.

RIP

sando69 08-06-2013 08:58 AM

Bruce Dorskind- May Your Soul Rest in Peace

always felt that bruce was a much different individual than the persona he portrayed on this board.
i am truly sorry that i never got to meet nor speak with bruce.
my sincerest condolences for our loss.

glchen 08-06-2013 09:46 AM

RIP Bruce. Condolences to family and friends.

Rich Klein 08-06-2013 09:47 AM

I only met Bruce once

that I can remember and he was nothing like he posted on the board. He was passionate and wanted the best items and nothing wrong with that such as Mr. Kendrick's collection.

But the funniest story I have on Bruce is I once posted, hey I miss Bruce's posts and it turned out at literally THAT Very minute I posted, he was being reinstated. Leon still thinks I talked to the other mods but no -- that was just a pure accident of timing

Will avoid anythikng negative, since he can not defend himself any more and anything bad to say would be a real cheap shot

Rich

7nohitter 08-06-2013 09:48 AM

Great youtube video...the Boston Garter story was very interesting!

RIP to Bruce.

Runscott 08-06-2013 09:52 AM

This is very sad news. I had some very strange conversations with Bruce over the years, but never met him. The Youtube that someone posted of him several months ago, made it obvious that he was another person whose internet persona did not match up well with who he really was. Condolences to his friends and family.

joeadcock 08-06-2013 09:54 AM

I also had no idea he was ill. Did one smooth transaction with him a few years back.
Sorry to hear of this. I also enjoyed his posts.

GasHouseGang 08-06-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidekellyslide (Post 1167319)
Ha! Yes, I can vouch for those votes...interesting talks those were. I'm glad that his last few posts to the board were not bomb throwing debacles.

Here's the Bruce I wish we all could have known

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nx4eV...KjP9w&index=79

Thanks for posting that video Dan. It was interesting to finally see what Bruce looked like and to see part of his collection. RIP Bruce.

philliesphan 08-06-2013 10:11 AM

Very sad news

I'm really sad to hear of Bruce's passing. He was indeed a polarizing character, but his knowledge was amazing. He also was a key contributor to the hobby at a time when information was scarcer, and research and connections were laborious to establish.

I was fortunate to add a piece from Bruce's collection to my collection 2-3 years ago. It's one of those unique pieces that can be traced back to Tigar, and will likely remain in my collection until I stop collecting.

Rest in Peace, Bruce.

oldjudge 08-06-2013 10:34 AM

I have at tear in my eye this morning. Bruce was one of a kind. He believed what he believed and was not easily swayed from those views, but he was smart, and passionate, and I will miss him. One of the best cards in my collection came from Bruce and that is a card I will never get rid of and I will always think of Bruce when I see it. Rest in peace my friend.

chris6net 08-06-2013 10:46 AM

I met Bruce a few times and always considered him a friend. I already miss you but know you are in a better place.
RIP my friend!

nolemmings 08-06-2013 10:53 AM

RIP. Solace and calm to those he left behind.

sbfinley 08-06-2013 11:04 AM

It's interesting to hear about the other side of Bruce. I never met him nor did I have any dealings him so the only Bruce I knew was the cartoonish figure that he sometimes played here, and boy did he play it well. Honestly, to hear that it was more act than reality is fitting closure. 62 is too young. My condolences to his friends and family and R.I.P.

ethicsprof 08-06-2013 11:14 AM

bruce dorskind

my condolences to family and friends.
no matter what occurs here and there on this board, it is always sad
to lose one of our own.
rest in peace, bruce.

barry

barrysloate 08-06-2013 11:21 AM

I am really happy to see the outpouring of kind words on this thread. I posted it with a bit of trepidation this morning, knowing there were many who Bruce fought with on the board. But everyone is stepping up to the plate for him and I think that's great. He was a very bright person with a tremendous amount of hobby knowledge. He just didn't always seem to get along with everyone. What can you do.

Let me share a memory, hopefully others will have some too. Bruce was always very generous handing out tickets to baseball games, as he typically bought season tickets every year. In 1988 (I realize now I met him before 1990) he took me to one of the Mets-Dodgers playoff games at Shea Stadium. It was Game 4, a 12 inning contest that went well past four hours. And during nearly the whole game, it was pouring rain. So here were the two of us, in cold October weather, sitting under two umbrellas, still getting soaking wet for more than four hours, watching a playoff game, talking baseball, and having a great time. That is a day I won't easily forget.

I'll miss you Bruce.

WhenItWasAHobby 08-06-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1167400)
my condolences to family and friends.
no matter what occurs here and there on this board, it is always sad
to lose one of our own.
rest in peace, bruce.

barry

Well said and I echo your words and thoughts regarding Bruce.

BradH 08-06-2013 11:35 AM

I had never met Bruce until we literally bumped into each other a couple months ago in New York. As I turned and said, "excuse me," I immediately recognized him and his voice from the video Dan posted earlier, which I'd watched a few years ago.

He was pleasant and seemed flattered that I had recognized him. I walked away from that chance encounter thinking that this was a guy who had made a fascinating collecting journey throughout his life, but it was sad that the abrasive nature of some of his posts had perhaps made him a little bit misunderstood.

Rest in peace, Bruce. You'll be missed.

bigtrain 08-06-2013 11:39 AM

Sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. I enjoyed his posts and respected his passion for the hobby even though he insulted me on more than one occasion.

Cardboard Junkie 08-06-2013 11:45 AM

I'm sorry deh died. :( dave.:(

Zach Wheat 08-06-2013 11:53 AM

Bruce

Well said Barry. RIP Bruce.

4815162342 08-06-2013 12:16 PM

62 is way too young - that's exactly my father's age. My prayers are with the family he left behind.

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." -- James 4:14

Edwolf1963 08-06-2013 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear

I never knew the man, we've never met. Have come to know him only in name through reading his posts over the last few years - always interesting if not controversial at times. Certainly respected his passion and knowledge of the hobby. A sense of loss, sad to hear of his passing.

DeafSports 08-06-2013 12:37 PM

RIP Bruce.

He's one of most respect collector out there. He take this hobby very seriously. I met him at Chicago few years ago as he tried to talk to me when I had few N172 Hoy on me. I told him that I was deaf and didnt understand him, he took notepad/pen and asking me about those stuff and we end up chat for good 20 minutes. That something I will always remember. He got a big collection out and hopefully would be out display for us eventually.

Best,
Danny

wonkaticket 08-06-2013 01:31 PM

Bruce and I would exchange words from time to time as he did with many. I still think he loved every minute of it. I can’t help but think how much he enjoyed getting us all foaming at the mouth with the turn of a simple phrase. A virtual ring of Pavlov’s bell if you will.

As collector nobody can deny the collection the man put together, the quality and the rarity were of the highest level.

Bruce if you’re reading this allow me to say that “we” (I) will miss you.

My condolences to those who were close to Bruce and I extend my support to any who need it.

Regards,

John

Louis Bollman 08-06-2013 01:42 PM

I met Bruce a few times about 15 (or so) years ago, I'm not even sure that I was on his radar as a hobbiest. I found him not only to be extremely knowledgeable but also more than willing to share his knowledge with me. After each conversation with him (only had a few) I always felt inspired to go "back to the books" so to speak and try to learn a bit more. I never could quite make the connection between the Bruce I met in person and the Bruce that showed up on the boards. Whether you agreed with him or disagreed, his posts always lead to a lot of dialog on a subject which is always very much needed for further advancement of the hobby. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing and my condolences go out to all that knew him and the hobby in general. Very few people have the tenacity to push the hobby along, Bruce was one of those people.

Today's "Toughest Wantlist" would definitely be another post from Bruce.

Exhibitman 08-06-2013 01:49 PM

I am truly sorry that so many people here are experiencing loss. I grieve with you as your friend. For my part, however, I will not miss this person. His behavior towards me was deplorable, his private communications were on the razor's edge between laughable and disturbing, and his fatwas directed at me and so many others here were public, frequent and venomous. "Such antics do not amount to a man." Henry V (3.2.28)

MVSNYC 08-06-2013 02:03 PM

Wow. My best to his family.

I too broke bread with him at a few of our NYC Dinners. In person he seemed like a nice guy with tons of knowledge and passion for the hobby.

RIP Bruce

vintagechris 08-06-2013 02:06 PM

I had wondered about his recent health when he sold the Boston Garter piece. I always enjoyed his posts when he kept it just about the cards. One of the great older collectors who had been around awhile and had great hobby knowledge.

Rickyy 08-06-2013 02:16 PM

RIP Bruce... he certainly made the board lively over the years!

Ricky Y

judsonhamlin 08-06-2013 02:25 PM

Just saw this. I am truly sad at his passing and wish peace for all of you who were close to him.

rc4157 08-06-2013 02:27 PM

Very sorry to hear the news of his passing, my condolences to his family and friends.
RC

Eric72 08-06-2013 02:30 PM

I am saddened to hear of Bruce's passing. The hobby and this board lost someone truly unique.

My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones during this difficult time.

And may Bruce rest in peace.

e107collector 08-06-2013 02:37 PM

Bruce

My condolences to his friends and family.

He complied quite a collection in is lifetime, no doubt about that.

Based on prior posts in this thread, he seemed to be a nice guy, and very knowledgeable about the hobby. Sometimes, he seemed to become a different person online.

Either way, he will be missed.

RIP Bruce.

Tony

Ladder7 08-06-2013 02:52 PM

Bruce had a good life it seems. I wish his family strength. Carpe diem.

mrvster 08-06-2013 03:06 PM

Terrible news....

I had no dealings with him, but he seemed like a great, colorful guy..he added a certain "element" to our community/posts.....he will be missed......rest in peace my brother.....very, very, very sad news.....my heart felt condolences to his friends and family....

peace

Johnny V

leftygrove10 08-06-2013 04:31 PM

This is very sad news. Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet Bruce. I also offer my condolences to his friends and family.

Fred 08-06-2013 04:41 PM

This is sad news. Liked him or not, he was always very eloquent in his posts. RIP Bruce.

Goodsport40 08-06-2013 04:54 PM

Never had any dealings with Bruce but was always entertained by his posts. I also remember looking at his want lists in awe when I was younger. Heck Im still in awe of those lists! RIP.

ThoseBackPages 08-06-2013 05:18 PM

Always sad to hear the all too soon passing of anyone, especially when they are involved in the hobby. Before opening this thread, i had no idea who the man was, but reading the posts, he will surely be missed, and unlikely to be replaced.

uffda51 08-06-2013 05:27 PM

I never met Bruce but it turns out we are the same age. Sorry to hear of his passing. It's clear he had many good friends here. RIP, Bruce.

tribefan 08-06-2013 05:31 PM

I never had any interaction other than reading his posts here, but that's way too young to go. Thoughts to his friends and family.

sb1 08-06-2013 05:51 PM

While I never met Bruce or did a deal with him, I always enjoyed his emails/post's, although many were sparks to ignite a flame.

He was a very astute student of the hobby, something we are sorely missing in the internet age of instant experts.

To his board friends and family I give my condolences. He will not be replaced, despite the fact many did not like his temperament, he was a man devoted to his mission.

the 'stache 08-06-2013 07:21 PM

Barry, I'm so sorry to learn of Bruce's passing. He was clearly a dynamic figure in the hobby, and very passionate about collecting. You have my sincere sympathy.

calvindog 08-06-2013 07:43 PM

I liked Bruce as well and am sad at his passing. Once you actually met the man you learned he was much different from his online persona.

On another note -- and not to take anything away from Bruce -- but another board member, Bob Pomilla, passed away a month or so ago. Fantastic guy, huge supporter of animal rights and someone I was proud to call a friend.

benjulmag 08-06-2013 07:55 PM

A memory

Shortly after I got married my wife and I met Bruce and his wife at the Pier in NYC to see a Diana Ross concert. After the concert we went for a bite at a local diner. I remember vividly Bruce recounting how he came to acquire his Boston Garter Mathewson. He told the story with such passion that my wife became mesmorized. After we had parted company she commented that before tonight she never thought there could exist someone as obsessed as I about the hobby, but after meeting Bruce she realized that there was at least one other. To this day I'm not sure she meant that as a complement to either Bruce or me, but it is a memory I will always cherish.