Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173599)

oldjudge 08-11-2013 09:54 PM

“The weak can never forgive. Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

williamcohon 08-11-2013 11:18 PM

A number of years ago I had some correspondence with Bruce. He was polite, respectful, and generous with information. That's what I plan to remember.

Exhibitman 08-11-2013 11:45 PM

Reap, sow, potato, potahto.

And everyone knows that the rooster came first. :)

barrysloate 08-12-2013 04:39 AM

This will be my last post on this thread, it's probably run its course by now anyway. First, thanks to Leon, Bill, and others for respecting my wishes and covering my back. I guess in a sense I am covering Bruce's back, too. It's the least I can do for a friend.

Of course I understand that many people here truly hated Bruce's venomous posts and personal attacks, and I did too. Some of them were simply jaw dropping. And I would never suggest anybody should pretend to like him if they truly don't. That would be phony.

But everyone does have the option not to post. If you were asked to deliver a eulogy for someone you didn't like, if you couldn't say something nice about him in front of a room full of mourners you would almost certainly decline to speak. You can do the same thing here. If you really didn't like the guy, just move on. Let the man truly rest in peace. Thank you.

Texxxx 08-12-2013 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1169928)
This will be my last post on this thread, it's probably run its course by now anyway. First, thanks to Leon, Bill, and others for respecting my wishes and covering my back. I guess in a sense I am covering Bruce's back, too. It's the least I can do for a friend.

Of course I understand that many people here truly hated Bruce's venomous posts and personal attacks, and I did too. Some of them were simply jaw dropping. And I would never suggest anybody should pretend to like him if they truly don't. That would be phony.

But everyone does have the option not to post. If you were asked to deliver a eulogy for someone you didn't like, if you couldn't say something nice about him in front of a room full of mourners you would almost certainly decline to speak. You can do the same thing here. If you really didn't like the guy, just move on. Let the man truly rest in peace. Thank you.

Very well said. Just sorry there are people in this world that will never understand what you said.
Rest in Peace Bruce

williamcohon 08-12-2013 11:46 PM

A number of years ago I had some correspondence with Bruce. He was polite, respectful, and generous with information. That's what I plan to remember.

RCMcKenzie 08-13-2013 12:14 AM

I received a flyer in the mail today that mentioned a significant Baseball Magazine collection that sold in the last REA auction. That is/was a great collection.

Howe’s Hunter 08-13-2013 06:57 AM

I must admit I was a bit shocked early on in this thread that Bruce's passing (or the passing of the Bruces') made the news in New York. I had no idea of who he was or what he did outside of his postings here on Network 54.

This is truly an amazing site, considering who you can rub elbows with every day that you would otherwise never meet.

Again, condolences to his family and friends.

ngrow9 08-13-2013 07:02 AM

I hope this doesn't come across as crass, but I was wondering if anyone knew what, if any, contingencies Bruce had in place for his collection? From the sounds of it, he had a number of pieces that I'd love to see sometime (whether in a museum or auction catalog), and obviously he didn't post a lot of photos of his collection online.

Runscott 08-13-2013 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 1170304)
I received a flyer in the mail today that mentioned a significant Baseball Magazine collection that sold in the last REA auction. That is/was a great collection.

That was Bruce's?

ls7plus 08-19-2013 04:43 PM

Sorry to jump in so late, but I just heard of Bruce's passing via an Old Cardboard e-mail. Bruce was always controversial, but always immensely stimulating. EVERYONE has their pleasing and less pleasing aspects to their character, and I truly would have enjoyed meeting Bruce.

RIP,

Larry