Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sad News: Bruce Dorskind Died (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=173599)

WhenItWasAHobby 08-06-2013 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethicsprof (Post 1167400)
my condolences to family and friends.
no matter what occurs here and there on this board, it is always sad
to lose one of our own.
rest in peace, bruce.

barry

Well said and I echo your words and thoughts regarding Bruce.

BradH 08-06-2013 11:35 AM

I had never met Bruce until we literally bumped into each other a couple months ago in New York. As I turned and said, "excuse me," I immediately recognized him and his voice from the video Dan posted earlier, which I'd watched a few years ago.

He was pleasant and seemed flattered that I had recognized him. I walked away from that chance encounter thinking that this was a guy who had made a fascinating collecting journey throughout his life, but it was sad that the abrasive nature of some of his posts had perhaps made him a little bit misunderstood.

Rest in peace, Bruce. You'll be missed.

bigtrain 08-06-2013 11:39 AM

Sorry to hear of Bruce's passing. I enjoyed his posts and respected his passion for the hobby even though he insulted me on more than one occasion.

Cardboard Junkie 08-06-2013 11:45 AM

I'm sorry deh died. :( dave.:(

Zach Wheat 08-06-2013 11:53 AM

Bruce

Well said Barry. RIP Bruce.

4815162342 08-06-2013 12:16 PM

62 is way too young - that's exactly my father's age. My prayers are with the family he left behind.

"Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away." -- James 4:14

Edwolf1963 08-06-2013 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear

I never knew the man, we've never met. Have come to know him only in name through reading his posts over the last few years - always interesting if not controversial at times. Certainly respected his passion and knowledge of the hobby. A sense of loss, sad to hear of his passing.

DeafSports 08-06-2013 12:37 PM

RIP Bruce.

He's one of most respect collector out there. He take this hobby very seriously. I met him at Chicago few years ago as he tried to talk to me when I had few N172 Hoy on me. I told him that I was deaf and didnt understand him, he took notepad/pen and asking me about those stuff and we end up chat for good 20 minutes. That something I will always remember. He got a big collection out and hopefully would be out display for us eventually.

Best,
Danny

wonkaticket 08-06-2013 01:31 PM

Bruce and I would exchange words from time to time as he did with many. I still think he loved every minute of it. I can’t help but think how much he enjoyed getting us all foaming at the mouth with the turn of a simple phrase. A virtual ring of Pavlov’s bell if you will.

As collector nobody can deny the collection the man put together, the quality and the rarity were of the highest level.

Bruce if you’re reading this allow me to say that “we” (I) will miss you.

My condolences to those who were close to Bruce and I extend my support to any who need it.

Regards,

John

Louis Bollman 08-06-2013 01:42 PM

I met Bruce a few times about 15 (or so) years ago, I'm not even sure that I was on his radar as a hobbiest. I found him not only to be extremely knowledgeable but also more than willing to share his knowledge with me. After each conversation with him (only had a few) I always felt inspired to go "back to the books" so to speak and try to learn a bit more. I never could quite make the connection between the Bruce I met in person and the Bruce that showed up on the boards. Whether you agreed with him or disagreed, his posts always lead to a lot of dialog on a subject which is always very much needed for further advancement of the hobby. I'm very sorry to hear of his passing and my condolences go out to all that knew him and the hobby in general. Very few people have the tenacity to push the hobby along, Bruce was one of those people.

Today's "Toughest Wantlist" would definitely be another post from Bruce.

Exhibitman 08-06-2013 01:49 PM

I am truly sorry that so many people here are experiencing loss. I grieve with you as your friend. For my part, however, I will not miss this person. His behavior towards me was deplorable, his private communications were on the razor's edge between laughable and disturbing, and his fatwas directed at me and so many others here were public, frequent and venomous. "Such antics do not amount to a man." Henry V (3.2.28)

MVSNYC 08-06-2013 02:03 PM

Wow. My best to his family.

I too broke bread with him at a few of our NYC Dinners. In person he seemed like a nice guy with tons of knowledge and passion for the hobby.

RIP Bruce

vintagechris 08-06-2013 02:06 PM

I had wondered about his recent health when he sold the Boston Garter piece. I always enjoyed his posts when he kept it just about the cards. One of the great older collectors who had been around awhile and had great hobby knowledge.

Rickyy 08-06-2013 02:16 PM

RIP Bruce... he certainly made the board lively over the years!

Ricky Y

judsonhamlin 08-06-2013 02:25 PM

Just saw this. I am truly sad at his passing and wish peace for all of you who were close to him.

rc4157 08-06-2013 02:27 PM

Very sorry to hear the news of his passing, my condolences to his family and friends.
RC

Eric72 08-06-2013 02:30 PM

I am saddened to hear of Bruce's passing. The hobby and this board lost someone truly unique.

My thoughts and prayers are with his loved ones during this difficult time.

And may Bruce rest in peace.

e107collector 08-06-2013 02:37 PM

Bruce

My condolences to his friends and family.

He complied quite a collection in is lifetime, no doubt about that.

Based on prior posts in this thread, he seemed to be a nice guy, and very knowledgeable about the hobby. Sometimes, he seemed to become a different person online.

Either way, he will be missed.

RIP Bruce.

Tony

Ladder7 08-06-2013 02:52 PM

Bruce had a good life it seems. I wish his family strength. Carpe diem.

mrvster 08-06-2013 03:06 PM

Terrible news....

I had no dealings with him, but he seemed like a great, colorful guy..he added a certain "element" to our community/posts.....he will be missed......rest in peace my brother.....very, very, very sad news.....my heart felt condolences to his friends and family....

peace

Johnny V

leftygrove10 08-06-2013 04:31 PM

This is very sad news. Unfortunately I never had the opportunity to meet Bruce. I also offer my condolences to his friends and family.

Fred 08-06-2013 04:41 PM

This is sad news. Liked him or not, he was always very eloquent in his posts. RIP Bruce.

Goodsport40 08-06-2013 04:54 PM

Never had any dealings with Bruce but was always entertained by his posts. I also remember looking at his want lists in awe when I was younger. Heck Im still in awe of those lists! RIP.

ThoseBackPages 08-06-2013 05:18 PM

Always sad to hear the all too soon passing of anyone, especially when they are involved in the hobby. Before opening this thread, i had no idea who the man was, but reading the posts, he will surely be missed, and unlikely to be replaced.

uffda51 08-06-2013 05:27 PM

I never met Bruce but it turns out we are the same age. Sorry to hear of his passing. It's clear he had many good friends here. RIP, Bruce.

tribefan 08-06-2013 05:31 PM

I never had any interaction other than reading his posts here, but that's way too young to go. Thoughts to his friends and family.

sb1 08-06-2013 05:51 PM

While I never met Bruce or did a deal with him, I always enjoyed his emails/post's, although many were sparks to ignite a flame.

He was a very astute student of the hobby, something we are sorely missing in the internet age of instant experts.

To his board friends and family I give my condolences. He will not be replaced, despite the fact many did not like his temperament, he was a man devoted to his mission.

the 'stache 08-06-2013 07:21 PM

Barry, I'm so sorry to learn of Bruce's passing. He was clearly a dynamic figure in the hobby, and very passionate about collecting. You have my sincere sympathy.

calvindog 08-06-2013 07:43 PM

I liked Bruce as well and am sad at his passing. Once you actually met the man you learned he was much different from his online persona.

On another note -- and not to take anything away from Bruce -- but another board member, Bob Pomilla, passed away a month or so ago. Fantastic guy, huge supporter of animal rights and someone I was proud to call a friend.

benjulmag 08-06-2013 07:55 PM

A memory

Shortly after I got married my wife and I met Bruce and his wife at the Pier in NYC to see a Diana Ross concert. After the concert we went for a bite at a local diner. I remember vividly Bruce recounting how he came to acquire his Boston Garter Mathewson. He told the story with such passion that my wife became mesmorized. After we had parted company she commented that before tonight she never thought there could exist someone as obsessed as I about the hobby, but after meeting Bruce she realized that there was at least one other. To this day I'm not sure she meant that as a complement to either Bruce or me, but it is a memory I will always cherish.

slidekellyslide 08-06-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by calvindog (Post 1167662)

On another note -- and not to take anything away from Bruce -- but another board member, Bob Pomilla, passed away a month or so ago. Fantastic guy, huge supporter of animal rights and someone I was proud to call a friend.

Wow! I did not know this...too much sadness for one day. I was friends with Bob on facebook and was used to seeing his posts about dogs. :(

Jantz 08-06-2013 08:23 PM

My condolences to Bruce's family and friends.

Jantz

botn 08-06-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1167405)
I am really happy to see the outpouring of kind words on this thread. I posted it with a bit of trepidation this morning, knowing there were many who Bruce fought with on the board. But everyone is stepping up to the plate for him and I think that's great. He was a very bright person with a tremendous amount of hobby knowledge. He just didn't always seem to get along with everyone. What can you do.

Barry, regardless of what took place with Bruce here on the board, in private emails and PMs, as was the case with me, it is safe to say that none of us wished for Bruce's demise. I am glad to hear from some who knew him outside of Net54 that he was nothing like how he came across on the board.

Greg

wonkaticket 08-06-2013 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by botn (Post 1167692)
Barry, regardless of what took place with Bruce here on the board, in private emails and PMs, as was the case with me, it is safe to say that none of us wished for Bruce's demise. I am glad to hear from some who knew him outside of Net54 that he was nothing like how he came across on the board.

Greg

+1

I only plan on making fun of Greg after he goes, all of the time. :)

h2oya311 08-06-2013 08:33 PM

RIP Bruce(s)

Sad to hear this new.

It's interesting that this is the first I heard of him (err...them) being a totally different person in real life. Bruce was completely misunderstood. It just goes to show how impressionable we are to everyones cyber-alter-egos. Often the slightest "tone" of an e-mail or a post can rub me the wrong way, even if the person behind the computer is the nicest person around. Glad to hear he was much different in person...I always thought he was a grumpy old man, but it sounds like he just wanted to stir the pot.

RIP Bruce(s)!

vintagetoppsguy 08-06-2013 08:38 PM

Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers to his friends and family.

t213 08-06-2013 08:45 PM

RIP to both Bruce and Bob. I never traded with Bruce, but did exchange pleasant emails several times. I had several nice deals with Bob and although I didn't know him well, seemed like a really nice guy.

Andy

spec 08-06-2013 08:59 PM

Well said, Barry!

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1167405)
I am really happy to see the outpouring of kind words on this thread. I posted it with a bit of trepidation this morning, knowing there were many who Bruce fought with on the board. But everyone is stepping up to the plate for him and I think that's great. He was a very bright person with a tremendous amount of hobby knowledge. He just didn't always seem to get along with everyone. What can you do.

Let me share a memory, hopefully others will have some too. Bruce was always very generous handing out tickets to baseball games, as he typically bought season tickets every year. In 1988 (I realize now I met him before 1990) he took me to one of the Mets-Dodgers playoff games at Shea Stadium. It was Game 4, a 12 inning contest that went well past four hours. And during nearly the whole game, it was pouring rain. So here were the two of us, in cold October weather, sitting under two umbrellas, still getting soaking wet for more than four hours, watching a playoff game, talking baseball, and having a great time. That is a day I won't easily forget.
I'll miss you Bruce.

I first met Bruce back in the 70s, when we were both young men. We were both pursuing the George C. Miller set and battled to beat each other to any R300s at the Gallagher Bros. New York shows, which attracted dealers from throughout the Northeast back in the days before Nationals. We weren't exactly friendly rivals, but we learned to co-exist and actually made a few trades over the ensuing years. I didn't realize it at the time, but Bruce was ahead of his time. His aggressiveness and narrow focus on rarity and condition went against the emphasis on collegiality and completeness that had been the hobby norm. I always respected Bruce's passion for the hobby, however, and will miss receiving his annual World's Toughest Wantlist, which he mailed me every year. RIP, compadre!
Bob Richardson

autograf 08-06-2013 09:24 PM

Glad to post after someone I admire in Bob Richardson.....Bruce was an interesting study. I disagreed a couple time with him and was assailed with emails that were unrepeatable here. Didn't like it but figured someone that intense had lots of issues going on. Hopefully the demons have taken a rest and the Bruce that some of you all knew is the one with the reins now. At least his last few posts were thought provoking and not napalm-like as many of the previous had been. When I read those early issues pf VCBC, I always wondered who that wantlist belonged to and after the board shenanigans, I knew! RIP Bruce....sorry to all the good men here who knew the real Bruce and mourn his passing.....

Vintagecatcher 08-06-2013 10:05 PM

Sad to hear of Bruce's Passing

I'm saddened to hear of Bruce's passing. Thanks for showing the You Tube Video. It was nice to see a passionate Bruce.

Hoping Bruce has found his peace.

Patrick

E93 08-06-2013 10:10 PM

I had only a handful of correspondences (phone and email) with Bruce over the years and met him once at the National. All of my interactions with him were very positive. He was surprisingly mild-mannered in person given his online persona. Few people were as passionate about baseball cards/memorabilia as Bruce. I wish all the best to his loved ones.
JimB

chris6net 08-06-2013 10:15 PM

I started in the Hobby in the late 70,s and fondly remember Bruce from some of the Manhattan shows and the bi-monthly shows at the Golden Gate Motel in Brooklyn that I was fortunate to get paid to help set up and actually work at as a young teenager. I reconnected with Bruce about 6 years ago after he was getting bashed and I put in a good word for him and we met 3 times since then
Bruce was a great guy and I miss him.

jerseygary 08-06-2013 10:35 PM

I can say that when Bruce bought a couple pieces of my artwork, I was truly excited about it - to have my work in a collection like his was an honor.

I always enjoyed the knowledge and edginess he brought to the board - where that moron golfer punk (I forgot his name) made a fool out of himself when he would "bring the noise", I thought Bruce took his sometimes nuttiness to a classy level. The board was less fun to read and more serious during the time he was banned from posting. Perhaps it's easy for me to say that because I was never the object of his annimosity. Not only was it fun for me to laugh at his posts that rubbed others the wrong way, it was also fun to read the other members pile on him. I thought he took it as well as he gave.

Rest in peace Bruce. I will miss you.

Troy Kirk 08-06-2013 11:59 PM

Very sorry to hear this news. Bruce took a lot of grief because he liked to post with the first person plural "We," but I think he just did it because that's the exact same way Jefferson Burdick used to write when he wrote about the hobby.

JLange 08-07-2013 04:11 AM

Condolences

Very sad. I too enjoyed his posts.

GaryPassamonte 08-07-2013 04:34 AM

My condolences to the families of Bruce and Bob.

gnaz01 08-07-2013 05:03 AM

My thoughts are with Bruce's family, 62 is way too young to pass and I wish them strength during this hard time.

jthorn 08-07-2013 07:49 AM

Sad News

Bruce Dorskind was exceedingly helpful back in 2007 when Ann Meyerson and I were gathering artifacts for an exhibition at the Museum of the City New York,"The Glory Days: New York Baseball, 1947-1957." Rest in peace, Bruce.

john thorn

bijoem 08-07-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1167669)
Shortly after I got married my wife and I met Bruce and his wife at the Pier in NYC to see a Diana Ross concert. After the concert we went for a bite at a local diner. I remember vividly Bruce recounting how he came to acquire his Boston Garter Mathewson. He told the story with such passion that my wife became mesmorized. After we had parted company she commented that before tonight she never thought there could exist someone as obsessed as I about the hobby, but after meeting Bruce she realized that there was at least one other. To this day I'm not sure she meant that as a complement to either Bruce or me, but it is a memory I will always cherish.

great story Corey. thanks for sharing.

teetwoohsix 08-07-2013 08:38 AM

My condolences to Bruce's family and friends.

I did not know Bruce personally, but the loss of any board member is a sad day.

One thing I can say for certain, is that when the physical dies, the soul does not. His journey has just begun.

Thank you Bruce, for giving us one of the funniest threads I've ever read on this board.

Sincerely, Clayton