Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   It’s time MLB celebrates Larry Doby Day, too (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=304623)

ValKehl 07-05-2021 11:40 AM

It’s time MLB celebrates Larry Doby Day, too

Larry Doby's first American League appearance was on today's date in 1947. This piece is from today's Washington Post. I would have merely posted the link to it, but I think the Post has a firewall.

It’s time MLB celebrates Larry Doby Day, too

Opinion by Luke Epplin
July 4, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. EDT

Luke Epplin is the author of “Our Team: The Epic Story of Four Men and the World Series That Changed Baseball.”

Late in the afternoon on Independence Day of 1947, Larry Doby was waiting inside Newark’s Penn Station for an overnight journey that would alter the course of baseball history. Doby was 23, a soft-spoken, hard-hitting infielder with limited experience but unlimited potential. Only hours earlier, he’d played in his final game for the Newark Eagles, the reigning champions of baseball’s Negro Leagues. The following afternoon, on July 5, Doby would join the Cleveland Indians as the first Black player in the American League and the second overall in Major League Baseball that century, a mere 11 weeks after Jackie Robinson first took the field for the Brooklyn Dodgers.

Every April 15 since 2004, Major League Baseball has celebrated Jackie Robinson Day. It’s time it started celebrating Larry Doby Day, too.

Doby’s first season was nothing like the older Robinson’s rookie-of-the-year debut. That made his road, in some ways, harder. Doby floundered on the Indians amid clubhouse dissension, limited playing time and persistent racial abuse. He logged just five hits for a measly .156 batting average. Skeptics of baseball integration dubbed Doby a bust, proof of the unpreparedness of players from the Negro Leagues. Largely because of that, Doby’s subsequent turnaround in 1948, from benchwarmer to catalyst of Cleveland’s last World Series championship club, became one of the most meaningful stories of baseball’s postwar era.

It’s a story that, nearly three-quarters of a century later, has mostly faded from memory. While it’s inevitable that the second Black player would be overshadowed by the first, decisions made by Major League Baseball about how to commemorate its pioneering players have accelerated that tendency.

In 1997, 50 years after Robinson’s debut on the Dodgers, his uniform number 42 was retired across Major League Baseball. Years later, players from every MLB franchise would wear 42 in celebration of Jackie Robinson Day, a now-annual occasion to pay rightful tribute to baseball’s foremost pioneer. More and more, the popular narrative about integration doubles as one about Robinson. Focusing so singularly on one player, however, has had the unintended effect of obscuring those who followed in Robinson’s footsteps, many of whose narratives differed significantly from his own.

Establishing a similar leaguewide celebration to commemorate Doby’s breakthrough would go a long way toward conveying a richer public understanding about the desegregation of Major League Baseball.

The burdens Doby faced were no less severe than Robinson’s. “Jackie got all the publicity for putting up with [racial abuse],” Doby told Jet magazine in 1978. “But it was the same thing I had to deal with. He was first, but the crap I took was just as bad. Nobody said, ‘We’re gonna be nice to the second Black.’”

In other ways, Robinson and Doby’s narratives diverged. Upon signing Robinson, the Brooklyn Dodgers sent him to the minor leagues in 1946 to ease his transition. Doby, in contrast, journeyed literally overnight from the Negro Leagues to the majors, suiting up for the Newark Eagles one day, the Cleveland Indians the next. Unlike Robinson, who’d spurred the Dodgers to within one game of a World Series championship in 1947, Doby was relegated to pinch-hitting duties, which rendered him unable to settle into a groove.

Not even expected to make the Indians roster in 1948, Doby battled his way into the starting lineup in spring training. Amid a tight four-way pennant race, Doby buoyed the team all season long with a slew of timely hits. He wound up batting .301. “Without Doby,” Indians manager Lou Boudreau said in September, “we would not be fighting for the pennant. We probably would have been in fourth place.” In the World Series, Doby paced the Indians’ offensive attack, leading his team with a .318 batting average.

After the Indians became the first integrated team to win a championship, Ebony magazine proclaimed that while Robinson had “pioneered in the majors garnering honors as ‘Rookie of the Year,’ probably Doby has been an even more important factor in sending club owners into the chase for Negro talent.” More than shattering stereotypes, his turnaround from one season to the next demonstrated unequivocally, as Ebony concluded, “that a Negro player, given the right opportunity, encouragement and direction, can attain baseball heights.”

This point was underscored by the numerous pioneering players who trailed in Doby’s wake. Joining Doby for the Indians championship run in 1948 was pitcher Satchel Paige, the aging legend who won six crucial games that summer. From 1949 to 1953, five players who’d started their careers in the Negro Leagues — Don Newcombe, Sam Jethroe, Willie Mays, Joe Black and Jim Gilliam — would win Rookie of the Year in the National League. Roy Campanella of the Dodgers and Monte Irvin of the New York Giants became the backbones of championship clubs.

Robinson’s story is worth honoring, but so are the stories of those who came after, and there’s no better way of doing so than by honoring Doby annually on the day of his historic breakthrough.

ocjack 07-05-2021 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Every blog needs a card. (this came out bigger than I expected)

jingram058 07-05-2021 12:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
From my 53 Bowman Color set...

larietrope 07-05-2021 12:46 PM

Grew up 30 miles from me.

Very under rated player.

GeoPoto 07-05-2021 12:59 PM

Larry Doby

3 Attachment(s)
Great thread, Val. I am happy to hook my car to this thread.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1625511454
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1625511463
https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1625511477

ValKehl 07-05-2021 02:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I got this card from a wax pack when I was 13 years old.

prestigecollectibles 07-05-2021 02:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1962 Larry Doby Japanese cards

GeoPoto 07-05-2021 03:18 PM

1948 Greenberg-Doby-Boudreau

1 Attachment(s)
From the WS-winning 1948 Season

Reverse Caption: New York . . . The first place Cleveland Indians came to the Yankee Stadium yesterday full of pep and pride in their first place in the league. Before the sun went down they had been cut down a notch. The Yanks drubbed them 4-1. Here are three of the poor Indians in a double huddle. Left to right, Lou Boudreau, manager, Larry Doby, star Negro outfielder, and Hank Greenberg, coach and vice-prexy.

https://www.net54baseball.com/attach...1&d=1625519900

Casey2296 07-05-2021 04:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Mr. Doby.
-

rhettyeakley 07-05-2021 04:37 PM

Nice topic!

I have often wondered why the AL doesn’t have Larry Doby day while the NL has Jackie Robinson day. Many of the AL cities and markets were not touched directly by Jackie Robinson himself. I’m not diminishing the impact of #42 in any way, his impact transcends sports but the AL was not where Jackie played.

On a similar note but admittedly off-topic can we get any recognition for Jackie Robinson’s college teammate Kenny Washington. He was the first African American NFL player and he did that in 1946!!!

doug.goodman 07-05-2021 06:59 PM

I had never thought about it before, but very good point.

Half of the cities / fans in baseball were first exposed to integrated baseball via Mr. Doby.

Bigdaddy 07-05-2021 10:13 PM

Larry Doby - the Buzz Aldrin to Jackie's Neil Armstrong.

I agree that the AL should have a Larry Doby Day and let the NL have a Jackie Robinson Day.

Exhibitman 07-05-2021 10:20 PM

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...bsize/Doby.jpg

Respect.

jingram058 07-06-2021 09:44 AM

Very nice autographed 53 Bowman Color card.

Exhibitman 07-06-2021 02:04 PM

Thanks; got it in 1978.