Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   New craziness from the opinion sellers (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=345180)

doug.goodman 01-17-2024 01:09 PM

New craziness from the opinion sellers

WTF?

And while my 84 year old mother may think that means "well that's fantastic" I mean that in a completely different way...

https://www.cleansweepauctions.com/item-809107/

Is "creative" a synonym for "stupid"?

D. Bergin 01-17-2024 01:13 PM

Lol!

ooo-ribay 01-17-2024 01:48 PM

They will literally do anything for a buck.

perezfan 01-17-2024 06:19 PM

I don't know what's worse...

The Auction House Write-up ("creatively slabbed by Beckett")

The Submitter (who the hell submits something like this to be slabbed?)

or

The TPG itself (cannot improve on Doug's WTF description)

Okay, it's probably Beckett, but at least they provided a good laugh. :D

doug.goodman 01-18-2024 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2405605)
I don't know what's worse...

The Auction House Write-up ("creatively slabbed by Beckett")

The Submitter (who the hell submits something like this to be slabbed?)

or

The TPG itself (cannot improve on Doug's WTF description)

Okay, it's probably Beckett, but at least they provided a good laugh. :D

In order of "worseness"

Opinion sellers

The submitter

I actually like the auction write-up, it's better than saying what they were thinking which is probably similar to what we are all saying on this thread.

WHAT

THE

FiretrUCK

Doug "I quite enjoy cussing" Goodman

cubman1941 01-18-2024 04:28 AM

As a Cub guy, I looked at this and thought what many of you are saying - but - I couldn't understand what this meant -
", this is really nice and a condition rarity in this quality"

ullmandds 01-18-2024 05:35 AM

would've been a 6 if whole?

Bliggity 01-18-2024 07:19 AM

Ok - hear me out. I'm a M101-2 collector and I don't think what Beckett did is all that bad. These were issued with a fold down the middle. When they're graded, the fold doesn't detract from the grade, just like with a T201 or T202. Because of their size, they're almost always stored folded in half. I have all four double-size team supplements, and they've always been shipped to me folded in half. I store them folded in half in clear 8.5x11" pocket pages so I can see both sides.

So it just seems that Beckett did what most collectors probably do when they store these. It seems to be intact; it's not like they separated it into two pieces or something like that. I know you can't see the back, which is problematic for a potential buyer. But people also occasionally slab T201s folded over if there is a higher-caliber player shown on the fold, and TPGs will slab them folded and you can't see the entire card that way. So how is this different?

With the massive runup in M101-2 prices now that PSA has started slabbing them and people are competing for the registry, I've often wondered how the registry "collectors" are going to handle the double-size team supplements. I guess if you only care about the registry, you'd consider the set complete at 96, rather than 100. I figured PSA just wouldn't be able to grade the double-size ones, but maybe they'll start grading and slabbing them like this to allow the registry set to be complete at 100?

I think slabbing M101-2s is ridiculous, but if you're going to do it, I don't have a big problem with folding over the double-size team supplements like Beckett did here.

NiceDocter 01-18-2024 07:34 AM

Me

Im not a big slab cracker but if that was mine I’d get it out and custom frame it unfolded. Assuming it’s not somehow glued shut!!!

perezfan 01-18-2024 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bliggity (Post 2405716)
Ok - hear me out. I'm a M101-2 collector and I don't think what Beckett did is all that bad. These were issued with a fold down the middle. When they're graded, the fold doesn't detract from the grade, just like with a T201 or T202. Because of their size, they're almost always stored folded in half. I have all four double-size team supplements, and they've always been shipped to me folded in half. I store them folded in half in clear 8.5x11" pocket pages so I can see both sides.

So it just seems that Beckett did what most collectors probably do when they store these. It seems to be intact; it's not like they separated it into two pieces or something like that. I know you can't see the back, which is problematic for a potential buyer. But people also occasionally slab T201s folded over if there is a higher-caliber player shown on the fold, and TPGs will slab them folded and you can't see the entire card that way. So how is this different?

With the massive runup in M101-2 prices now that PSA has started slabbing them and people are competing for the registry, I've often wondered how the registry "collectors" are going to handle the double-size team supplements. I guess if you only care about the registry, you'd consider the set complete at 96, rather than 100. I figured PSA just wouldn't be able to grade the double-size ones, but maybe they'll start grading and slabbing them like this to allow the registry set to be complete at 100?

I think slabbing M101-2s is ridiculous, but if you're going to do it, I don't have a big problem with folding over the double-size team supplements like Beckett did here.

But as long as it resides in this comical slab, you can NEVER view the piece in its entirety. What a shame, as this violates the whole purpose of the piece's existence. If you are a flip collector, I guess it's great. But if you are a collector of memorabilia, it's an abomination.

Lucas00 01-18-2024 01:01 PM

There is a possibility this has been folded for 110+ years and unfolding it could actually be worse than just keeping it as is. Of course that makes no sense but anything is possible.

Exhibitman 01-18-2024 01:15 PM

PSA did that with a rare Joe Louis piece I had. Drove me crazy. I finally found one raw so I could see the back.

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-18-2024 02:13 PM

It seems like some of you think this cut in half and in two slabs. It is folded in half in one slab. The fold is original

perezfan 01-18-2024 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2405826)
It seems like some of you think this cut in half and in two slabs. It is folded in half in one slab. The fold is original

So what? Everyone knows it’s just folded. The question is… What is more important… slabbing it or viewing it?

Mark17 01-19-2024 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perezfan (Post 2405858)
So what? Everyone knows it’s just folded. The question is… What is more important… slabbing it or viewing it?

Same choice rare comic book collectors face, times 10. Be able to see all the pages, or just the covers.

ooo-ribay 01-19-2024 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 2405826)

So, none of the slabbers have anything that could accommodate this thing unfolded? Each side is in the 8x10 range? As Rocky said, I would crack it out and frame both pieces, as one. At a minimum, I’d put both halves in a rigid top loader.

D. Bergin 01-19-2024 09:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
CGC had this product many years ago for oversized photos, but it never caught on.

Sealed in more of a big vinyl pouch, rather then a big heavy plastic slab.

Not the easiest thing to photograph or scan, but it would solve the problem slabbing bigger items in heavy plastic.

ooo-ribay 03-01-2024 09:32 PM

Probably not the best thread for this post, but this is what “opinion sellers” brought up…

While searching ebay today, I saw “highest graded,” “only graded” and “population 4.” All probably had exclamation marks! These listing were for a Coke cap, a 2009 SF Giants pocket sked and a Venezuelan card. All were ridiculously overpriced and who the f**k sends in a recent pocket schedule to be graded?

Again, I sure wish I had thought of this scam. P.T. Barnum was right.