Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Mastro ends tonight! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=64405)

Archive 12-19-2003 05:34 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Jay Cee&nbsp; </b><p>Just a friendly reminder for everyone!!!

Archive 12-19-2003 06:08 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>.....

Archive 12-20-2003 10:31 AM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>still, I'm having cold angst for breakfast rather than warm gestalt: zero for four, underbidder in all.<BR><BR>How 'bout that Tip Top Bread lot!

Archive 12-20-2003 04:14 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I cannot believe what prices are like. I don't know whether to be dismayed because I can't afford anything or thrilled because everything I own is so valuable. <BR><BR>I guess if I decide to liquidate my collection, Mastro is gonna get a call.

Archive 12-20-2003 04:47 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>runscott</b><p>The selection is so poor that I'm wondering if the market is drying up. Could it be that the internet has made vintage cards TOO accessible? We now have a constant influx of new collectors into the hobby, but no additional vintage cards are being created to handle the demand and there are only so many old attics remaining to be looted. Perhaps collectors sense this and are panicking and buying up anything they can get, at prices that seem inflated? <BR><BR>By contrast, the assortment of '50 and '60s stuff seemed just as good as in previous auctions.

Archive 12-20-2003 04:52 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>Right on the money. It is a real seller's market now on pre-war (WWI) cards, particularly graded cards.

Archive 12-20-2003 08:54 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>JC</b><p>Do you think the Tip-Top lot went to cheap or not enough? I like the T-3's in tonight's session.. Can't bid though...

Archive 12-20-2003 09:34 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>and I'm high bidder. I hadn't bid for a week--just bid for the first time (in the last week) at 10:45 Central time. Got lots of decafinated coffee (which does have some caffine in it) to keep me company...Bob's gone to bed. Rode home from a metting with a friend of Sam Chapman's daughter, so I looked him up in the Baseball Encyclopedia, and called her with the Major League dope. Mark's going to let me know who he played for in the Minors tomorrow. She was real nice (lady who gave me a ride) and let me use her cell phone 3 TIMES to check on my card--and I bid right before I got home, excpecting there to be a limit bid, and wanting to find out what the thing was going to cost me (minimum). But-look Ma, no ceiling bid! GREAT! (I gave her 2 dollars for using her phone--is that enough?

Archive 12-20-2003 10:55 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>TBob</b><p>I personally got drubbed in Mastro, man the prices are going out of sight on caramel cards! I was high bidder on an old Donald Duck comic book almost all week at about $500, checked the lead bid Wednesday (final) night, figuring to go to $800 only to discover the book was at $5000. Unfriggingbelievable....

Archive 12-20-2003 11:28 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>mine's just sitting there. I've got a callback, but it's on the phone in the study; if I go to bed, and switch the callback in there, it'll wake Bob. Yurg. I have a tour to give tomorrow...

Archive 12-20-2003 11:49 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>I noticed the Cleveland Fatima is described as "crystal clear," but the larger image doesn't look any clearer than mine, which maddeningly gets a bit blurry just as it gets to Jackson.<BR><BR>Someone said that Mastro would have to use more SGC graded cards; he certainly has a number in this auction<BR>(I never noticed before, because as far as I'm concerned, the holder is incidental, and comes off when the card arrives)--I never bid on anything higher than a 6 or its equivalent.

Archive 12-21-2003 08:56 AM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Peter Thomas</b><p>Prices crazy PSA8 Kell $12,000 with the 15%. More than the PSA 8 E92 Young.

Archive 12-21-2003 10:05 AM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>petecld</b><p>I saw the PSA 8 E92 Young at a show here in Chicago. <BR><BR>My opinion: <BR>I'd MUCH rather be the winner of the 48 Leafs - if you know what I mean.

Archive 12-21-2003 11:24 AM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>An SGC 5 Mayo Wilbert Robinson--$1,685--that's less than 2K with premium, insurance and shipping (it's lot number 2084) Would be interested in knowing others' winnings.<BR><BR>I only bid twice: a week ago, and last night at 10:45.<BR><BR>W. Robinson is not the most glorious of Mayos--I love David Rudd's photo of him, straddling a chair backwards, directing the Dodgers in late middle age (in fact, I won that as well, and it came yesterday). The Mayo is a very stiff portrait, much like the Anson in that set--except Anson is so striking looking, he can get away with it.<BR><BR>Tring to get all the 19th century HOFers in 19th century cards, photos and woodcuts--even if they're famous for something they did in the 20th c. I have a Hanlon OJ, but my favorite is his Fan Craze. Looks like something out of "Topsy Turvey," dressed to the nines, with a supercilleous little smile.

Archive 12-21-2003 08:36 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>David Seaborn</b><p>Julie, I was the underbidder on that Mayo Robinson. I thought I might sneak out with it. I thought you'd be in the bidding fray for that card after looking at your want list. Glad a board member got it, now I don't feel as bad for having bowed out. Dave

Archive 12-21-2003 10:49 PM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Joe_G.</b><p>With my narrow 19th century Detroit scope, little piqued my interest. But I am curious who picked up lot #1789 (SGC 70 Gypsy Queen & 2 SGC 86 Old Judges)? $2,004 winning bid ($2,305 after 15% fee) isn't as bad as others. That is probably what ebay would have brought for those three cards. Also wonder who won the 19th century scrapbook, lot #2082?

Archive 12-22-2003 07:48 AM

Mastro ends tonight!

Posted By: <b>Julie</b><p>....