Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Now that the dust has settled....observations regarding The 2018 Cleveland National (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258589)

Vintagecatcher 08-12-2018 09:00 PM

Now that the dust has settled....observations regarding The 2018 Cleveland National

Every year, many of us wait with great anticipation for The National Convention.

Whether we are lucky enough to attend or whether we simple are excited to hear about the show and the great purchases that occur following this grand event.

Is it just me or was this year's show not up to the standards of past shows?

I would love to hear in greater detail from those who were fortunate enough to attend this year's show what they felt about the show.

Was there much less vintage pre-war to be had? We all come to expect the prices to be inflated at the National, but was this year worse then past years?

Has the pre-war material simply dried up?

Look forward to your responses!

Patrick

ullmandds 08-12-2018 09:38 PM

In years past...usually I go to Chicago and it ends up costing $1500 just for the trip...most cards are overpriced and I end up regretting that I could have stayed home and bought a babe ruth card with the $$$$.

This year I decided to go last minute...Lee Behrens offered a free bed one night, and a home base at his table...combine that with a mid $200 flight...a free hotel with points for fri night...it was a very cheap trip!

I liked the venue...I found it much easier to navigate than Chicago...there were a lot of food options...ladies hawking beer like at a ballgame. People complained about the parking but I did not have a car. It really added to my experience being able to hang out at Lee and Glen Mechanick's booth...Glen has some sick 19th century stuff and it was cool to have people coming up wanting to sell stuff. As per usual most tables were ebay shrines with overpriced cards that we see on ebay every day.

There were definitely deals to be had. I feel like I got a very fair price on an r315 ruth. I've been looking for a nice centered 53 bowman whitey ford for a long time. In one row at the national there were 2 similar examples...neither centered well enough for my taste...one graded one not. The graded one was $350 ...the non graded $70. I thought I'd have patience to sort through bargain boxes but I did not.

Friday I spent most of the day there and by 1-2 I was walking dead...exhausted!!!!! I tried to go through the whole show once then I circled back to see if the ruth was still there and I snagged it.

Green cobb...being the hot card in the hobby now was scantly represented. Most examples for sale were lower grade and shamelessly overpriced...one Pathetic example with the corner torn off had an asking price of $2300. All cobbs were hot...overpriced dietsches sometimes not even 1907 examples priced at rookie prices.

Goudey Ruths were flying off the shelves when fairly priced. There were a fe handfuls of oddball ruth issues mostly 150% priced. Lots of rookies at the auction houses.

Unbeilievable stuff on display at SGC and the big houses. I saw 3 wagners...pristine mantles...handfuls of ruth rookies...amazing autographed card collection in next REA...incredible game used ruth bats...tons of rtuh auto balls.

I enjoyed it this year!

Vintagecatcher 08-12-2018 09:58 PM

Thanks Pete!

Thanks Pete...appreciate the feedback.

Patrick

Exhibitman 08-13-2018 10:42 AM

One thing that surprises me year in and year out are the people who complain about the high prices at the show. Not directed at you specifically, Peter. Perhaps it is a side effect of eBay and all the auctions but it seems that collectors have forgotten how to negotiate. I mean, does anyone whining about prices stop to consider that these are asking prices and that offers are expected? I price my stuff well over 'market' for the show but I expect that people will haggle, bundle and seek a discount.

As far as the OP question, the place is a cornucopia of stuff but as is the case anywhere, if you are looking for a specific prewar card from an obscure set with a few examples, you probably won't find one. Nor, realistically, should you expect to find one except perhaps in an auctioneer's inventory.

The other thing is, you have to dig. Even if you don't enjoy sifting through bargain boxes, you still have to attack stacks of stuff, or you do not get a fair read on the inventory at the show. To give an example, I am always looking out for rare Exhibit cards. One of the cards on my list is the Salutations Johnny Rizzo, which is one of the toughest cards to find but since Rizzo is a nobody is occasionally overlooked. Now, on my table it would be a showcase item because I know the demand is so high for the card. I saw one example in the entire show and it was buried in one of several stacks of Exhibits at one booth. It was priced properly at $600 but it was buried in there. If I'd still needed a Rizzo to finish my set and I'd not have gone through every stack of Exhibits in the room, I'd have whined about the lack of supply of rare vintage cards.

Other impressions re baseball:

--Ruth cards have been strong at auction over the last year or two and the prices I saw appeared to reflect anticipated further gains. I think I noticed more Ruth cards than usual.
--Certain hot issues had very few cards overall at the show. Mendelsohns, I think I saw only a few. Not unexpected: why would you sell into a rising market.
--Very few Western regionals. I think having the show over and over again in the East is hurting the breadth of the show. It is simply too time consuming for West dealers to drive in and too expensive and difficult for West dealers to ship in a lot of inventory. I was pretty much limited to what I could carry on the plane from LA.

ullmandds 08-13-2018 11:05 AM

Interesting, Adam. The one card I did purchase...I made an offer of 20% below the dealers asking price...and he didn't even respond. I commented that this is a negotiation...and asked him what his counter was. He said that with my offer I'd lost him and he was insulted. I then offered him a price which reflected 10% off his asking which he accepted.

He acted insulted and pissed off when I attempted to negotiate????

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1803385)
One thing that surprises me year in and year out are the people who complain about the high prices at the show. Not directed at you specifically, Peter. Perhaps it is a side effect of eBay and all the auctions but it seems that collectors have forgotten how to negotiate. I mean, does anyone whining about prices stop to consider that these are asking prices and that offers are expected? I price my stuff well over 'market' for the show but I expect that people will haggle, bundle and seek a discount.

As far as the OP question, the place is a cornucopia of stuff but as is the case anywhere, if you are looking for a specific prewar card from an obscure set with a few examples, you probably won't find one. Nor, realistically, should you expect to find one except perhaps in an auctioneer's inventory.

The other thing is, you have to dig. Even if you don't enjoy sifting through bargain boxes, you still have to attack stacks of stuff, or you do not get a fair read on the inventory at the show. To give an example, I am always looking out for rare Exhibit cards. One of the cards on my list is the Salutations Johnny Rizzo, which is one of the toughest cards to find but since Rizzo is a nobody is occasionally overlooked. Now, on my table it would be a showcase item because I know the demand is so high for the card. I saw one example in the entire show and it was buried in one of several stacks of Exhibits at one booth. It was priced properly at $600 but it was buried in there. If I'd still needed a Rizzo to finish my set and I'd not have gone through every stack of Exhibits in the room, I'd have whined about the lack of supply of rare vintage cards.

Other impressions re baseball:

--Ruth cards have been strong at auction over the last year or two and the prices I saw appeared to reflect anticipated further gains. I think I noticed more Ruth cards than usual.
--Certain hot issues had very few cards overall at the show. Mendelsohns, I think I saw only a few. Not unexpected: why would you sell into a rising market.
--Very few Western regionals. I think having the show over and over again in the East is hurting the breadth of the show. It is simply too time consuming for West dealers to drive in and too expensive and difficult for West dealers to ship in a lot of inventory. I was pretty much limited to what I could carry on the plane from LA.

hcv123 08-13-2018 11:11 AM

The show is a reflection of our expectations

I was there with my kids Wednesday and Thursday. We were at A/C 2 years ago and Cleveland 3 years ago. At the 2 prior shows I/we were frantically hunting for rare Roberto Clemente cards from a very short want list - came up empty both times. Kids had fun - custom baseball cards and some boxes of new cards (baseball, basketball and pokemon). Both the earlier shows were big disappointments for me.
This year was different - I expected to find no new Clemente items (didn't stop us from asking though) - I decided this year was about my kids and getting them more involved (we have been collecting Pittsburgh Pirates team sets) - This year was great! The kids picked out A LOT of cards for our team sets and had a lot of fun interacting with dealers and learning the art of negotiation. Got some great Pokemon cards (at least that's what they tell me as I do not speak fluent Pokemon). We rode the ferris wheel a few times. Go figure, the year I go in expecting to find nothing Clemente - I find 2 great items!!
It seemed like there was more foot traffic than I recall seeing last 2 shows - anyone notice this?
I went in with very low expectations and just a desire to have a great time with my kids - we had a great show and experience and picked up some great stuff.
I do concur regarding the "museum pricing" on stuff - I was looking for a few graded Clemente cards to add to my registry set and while I did find probably a couple dozen that fit the bill - every single one of them was priced between 15% and 50% over current market price (that is after attempted negotiation) - None of them were that special that I could justify paying that much more. That I couldn't find one negotiable to market price was just a little bit frustrating.

packs 08-13-2018 11:23 AM

My opinion is that the dealers are the biggest offenders of "hobby disappearance". I went to the National in Atlantic City. It was the same museum collections I see all the time. Nothing was for sale at a price that reflected what was being sold. I didn't leave that show feeling like the National was anything I'd travel for unless I was after an elusive signer who was appearing.

T205 GB 08-13-2018 11:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I was there Thursday till Saturday afternoon. There were some bargains to be had. You had to dig and grind for them but it was worth the patience. Picked up a nice 56 Mantle and the next morning a dealer had to have it. Got to meet up with some old friends and some new guys also. It was hard to meet up afterwards because of how spread out everyone was. Overall the show was great. The city was not impressive.

To bad there is not a Southern National in the end of May. Cities like Baton Rouge, Little Rock, Atlanta, Tallahassee, Macon, ect. I often wonder what would be found at these shows. A small hoard of tango eggs cards or Red Sun’s.

Jewish-collector 08-13-2018 12:02 PM

I didn't go this year, but had gone more or less to pretty much the last dozen or so Nationals. To be perfectly honest, the novelty is wearing off. First of all, it is very expensive with hotel, transportation, food, etc,... even before you step onto the show floor. As a very low end collector, I really can not afford these costs. Secondly, anything I need and/or want is always available online at a better price.

My favorite part of the National has always been the Net54 dinner, which gives me the chance to meet others from this forum.

KMayUSA6060 08-13-2018 12:36 PM

This was my favorite National show-wise that I've been to. Granted, it was only my 2.5th National, and my favorite National overall was 2 years ago in A.C. when I was able to attend with my now-fiancee who had a blast, but this show was tremendous. Let me explain.

- I was able to attend 3/4 of that Thursday with my dad (I was there all day, and he left around 3 to work a different event). I learned very quickly that being accompanied by someone who is interested in sports, but doesn't necessarily collect memorabilia/cards, is a blast. My modest amount of knowledge really impressed him, and he couldn't believe the amount of history in the room, let alone the amount of money exchanging hands or the price tags he was seeing. I did explain to him that a good portion of the stuff in the room was listed at what we call "museum prices" but that the stuff is still worth a good amount.

- Being my 1.5th show in Cleveland, and fresh (pun intended, being 2 years ago) off my last National in A.C., I was very impressed with the layout in the IX Center. So much easier to navigate compared to A.C.

- I have developed a pretty good relationship with a few dealers, and it was great seeing them and catching up. Really, the best part of National is the in-person dealings and conversations. I know I'm young and wasn't around in the hay-day of "trading cards" (literally), but those deals and conversations at National are the roots of the hobby.

- Interesting selection. Being more focused this time around and with a lot of luck, I was able to knock out the majority of my targets on Day 1. This allowed more browsing and studying time, with my eyes fixating on future collection targets (T3s man... Wow will those look good on my Man Cave wall someday). I noticed a lot of the era's tier 1 names - Gehrig, Cobb, Ruth, Wagner - but was also surprised at the near lack of tier 2 names - Young, Johnson, Lajoie, Speaker, etc. I'd be curious to hear if other attendee's had similar observations in regards to the quantity of each tier. Post War was very abundant, so abundant that I'm glad I'm pretty much finished with that portion of my Hall of Fame project. I would have hated to spend time digging through the sheer volume of Post War cards for particular years/subjects.

- I learned how to spend money. Kind of an odd thing to say, right? But at previous shows - both National and smaller local show - I had hesitated to pull the trigger, sometimes on good/great deals, out of fear of losing out on something better. Not this time. I snagged my targets, and then some.

- I also learned to just enjoy the day. I went two days, and had a blast both times, for different reasons. They say the best part of collecting is the journey; this is a part of that journey. Enjoy it.

- I got the sense of enthusiasm. I don't know if I'm able to say that and have it hold much weight with how young and inexperienced I am, but I thought people were genuinely happy and excited to be there. I agree with Howard that there seemed to be a good amount of foot traffic.

I didn't necessarily enjoy A.C. the city, but didn't hate the show, so I'll be looking at the logistics of making it out there in 2 years. If not, then I'll be waiting for it to come back through Cleveland. Either way, I'm excited for my next National.

Rhotchkiss 08-13-2018 01:23 PM

I was there Wednesday and Thursday. I had a great time. Yes, things were expensive, and I passed on many cards I would have otherwise bought in a heartbeat had they been priced even close to reasonable. That said, I pulled off two huge trades, and I found a few cards I wanted for prices I was willing to pay; I opted to drop loot on an E107 Plank, which was the only card I actually bought (vs traded). All that said, I judge the good vs bad of a show a little differently then whether I bought something or the prices were fair....

I view shows as a place to make friends, plant seeds, and lay the groundwork for deals that may take a while to consummate. I think face time and relationship building with other collectors is very important. I find making connections and then doing post-show deals to be a very viable source of acquisitions. Plus these connections often help me find hard cards (and I do the same for others), down the line. PLUS, you get to look at auction house cards in person, which is huge for me since most of what I acquire i get through auction houses (not shows or Ebay). To me, a show is much more than a place to buy cards - it’s place to make connections and plant seeds that bloom later - and the big shows like Chantilly and Philly have plenty of people and stuff to make the drive and admission worthwhile. The National is Chantilly and Philly on steroids, and so so worth the trip for the networking alone.

I made a ton of connections this year, and strengthened many more that I had already made. That is just icing on the cake to a show that yielded me an E107 Plank, an E220 Ruth, and a PSA 8, Allen & Ginters Cap Anson.

Great show.

timzcardz 08-13-2018 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1803388)
Interesting, Adam. The one card I did purchase...I made an offer of 20% below the dealers asking price...and he didn't even respond. I commented that this is a negotiation...and asked him what his counter was. He said that with my offer I'd lost him and he was insulted. I then offered him a price which reflected 10% off his asking which he accepted.

Obviously, HE is a master negotiator and got you to negotiate against yourself! :D

Peter_Spaeth 08-13-2018 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1803393)
My opinion is that the dealers are the biggest offenders of "hobby disappearance". I went to the National in Atlantic City. It was the same museum collections I see all the time. Nothing was for sale at a price that reflected what was being sold. I didn't leave that show feeling like the National was anything I'd travel for unless I was after an elusive signer who was appearing.

I haven't been myself but each year I am in touch with quite a few people who go and in general that has been my impression for the last 5 years or so; at least in terms of the type of cards I have been looking for.

mechanicalman 08-13-2018 03:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I spent the better part of two days there, and I really enjoyed my time. I was able to put a face to a few names/handles, and I appreciated the ability to talk shop more than I had in the past when I knew no one.

I thought the quality of material was pretty solid (as least for what I collect.) Were prices high? Sure. They always are at the Natty. But I found some reasonable dealers. Don Hontz had some well priced cards, and James Basch had a killer case. AJ's case was stacked as well. I always love Brady and Jeff's offerings. Brady was more than fair on a couple cards, and Jeff sold me an '85 Donruss Mattingly 10 that is now the centerpiece of my '85 Donruss Mattingly collection. ;)

I lived in Chicago for 7 years and I love that city, but the IX is better than the Stephens Convention center. The space is laid out well, and the lighting makes the cards pop. The Internet didn't affect me, but I can see how it would impact dealers. Again, a good place for a show; it's just too bad that you're in a virtual desert, devoid of any culture or places worth visiting in that immediate area.

The only complaint I have is that some dealers could not be less accommodating. I might visit a booth 4 times with no other customers and it was like pulling teeth to get attention. I don't get it. Maybe I look like a schlub, but I was there to spend. At least Levi hired some attentive folks (maybe family?). That's the first time in 10 shows someone in his booth has ever proactively addressed me.

Back to prices, I snapped a pic of one guy who was super nice, but maybe not that motivated. $18K for a 33 Ruth A anyone?

robkas68 08-13-2018 04:05 PM

National

I am a bit spoiled in that attending a National is seldom a burden for me. My office is literally 10 minutes from the Rosemont Convention Center when it is in Chicago and I have family about two hours from Cleveland so I schedule the summer family visit to coincide when in Cleveland. Consequently, I never have hotel or travel expense.

With respect to the show itself, I think it was rather typical. For me personally, it was a bit unusual in that I got exactly what I was looking for and literally nothing else. Most nationals I go to with my list and I don't find any of it, but I end up with a dozen other cool things I didn't ever know I needed. I went to Cleveland needing 2 cards to finish my 1938 Goudey set, 1 card to finish my 1887 Allen Ginter (baseball only) set and needing to upgrade my 1963 Topps Mantle so that all of my 1960s Mantles are at least a 7 (will upgrade my 1952 Mantle to a 7 when I win the Powerball, for now just authentic).

Went Friday and within 3 hours had:

1887 Chas Bennett
1938 Jimmie Foxx
1938 Hank Greenberg
1963 Mantle

After that, literally my biggest expense was $8 on nachos. Oh, I did go to the Indians-Angels game that evening (Trout did not play (sucks) Ohtani hit two homers (cool)-not an Angels fan, but looked forward to seeing those stars).

Rob

Exhibitman 08-13-2018 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1803427)
I view shows as a place to make friends, plant seeds, and lay the groundwork for deals that may take a while to consummate. I think face time and relationship building with other collectors is very important. I find making connections and then doing post-show deals to be a very viable source of acquisitions.

Case in point: I visited with some collectors at my table on Wednesday and on Thursday one of them brought me two fantastic walk-in items that I acquired. I'd never even have seen them, let alone bought them, had it not been for the face time on Wednesday.

Second case in point: I missed out on a rare Brazilian card lot on eBay. The seller did not have another, so I put that on my want list for my type card collection. At the show I found out who bought the item on eBay and we made a deal for one of the duplicate cards so I now have my type card.

Al C.risafulli 08-13-2018 06:44 PM

I've missed just two Nationals since 2005 (Anaheim and the first Baltimore) - I'd go even if I didn't have LOTG to promote and consignments to beg for. It's the highlight of my summer every year, not for the stuff but for the opportunity to see everybody, shake hands, trade stories, catch up, maybe grab a beer at the bar.

The other thing I pay close attention to is how many kids are in attendance at the show, and how enthusiastic they are. I look for it specifically. As collectors, we are all ambassadors of this hobby, and to some degree, we're the guys keeping these stories alive for young people. There were more kids at the show this year than I remember in a while; we gave away about 40 packs of cards and I'm always surprised at how many young kids can identify Babe Ruth just by looking at a picture. I don't understand these crazy pack rips they have, but if it's keeping kids engaged in the hobby, I'll embrace all the yelling and screaming over the microphones at the show!

-Ao

Leon 08-14-2018 02:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who opined. I didn't go this year but will most likely next year. It is mostly a social event (for me) and in that respect is a lot of fun. There might even be another Net54baseball Banquet but it's not decided yet.

bobbyw8469 08-14-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1803773)
Thanks to everyone who opined. I didn't go this year but will most likely next year. It is mostly a social event (for me) and in that respect is a lot of fun. There might even be another Net54baseball Banquet but it's not decided yet.

When I retire I will go when it goes to AC, if someone wants to chill out and talk in the casino, and maybe play some Pai Gow afterwards.

Frazier 08-14-2018 05:55 PM

Net54 Banquet - 2019 in Chicago

Leon:

I hope you decide to have the Net54 banquet again in Chicago next year. I always enjoy attending the event, especially for the meeting of board members and the speakers you have for the evening.

Bill

ajjohnsonsoxfan 08-14-2018 06:45 PM

Have really enjoyed reading everyone's recaps so thought I would add my own.

I've been to the last 4 national's and have always thought it would be super fun to be a "dealer" and set up a table. So this year after deciding to sell some of my stuff, I reached out to some dealers a couple weeks before show time to see about sub leasing a table. Larrie Dean was nice enough to say yes and I was off to the races.

Can't say enough about how great Larrie and his wife are and I really enjoyed hanging with them and talking shop during the show. Larrie's been setting up for years and has a sizable area which includes dealers Scott Connor, Bill Yano and Joe Yander - all of which are good dudes that are motivated to be there and make deals. I learned a little something from each one of them during the 4 days and highly recommend you search them out your next go around.

Here's some pros and cons about being a dealer:

Pros: Loved meeting and talking to each collector as they came by my area. I would always ask what was on their hit list for the show and that would get us started on mostly lengthy conversations about what they collect and their experiences at the show. I was able to meet a ton of guys from Net54 and put faces to names/handles. I also had great conversations with the dealers at tables around me and got to know guys like Clay Sigg who was stationed across from me. Clay wrote an amazing book called Hometown Heroes: The Single Franchise Baseball Stars of the 20th Century. He was at the show promoting and selling the book. Clay played college baseball and we had a great conversation around what it was like being scouted and trying out for a pro team back in the 70's.
The camaraderie among dealers was cool to see as they would watch out for each other's tables during restroom/food breaks and help answer questions that came up from various collectors. Mid way through the show I caught the modern bug and got some really valuable help from a couple modern dealers around me on prices and what to look for as I made a couple purchases on the shiny stuff.
I ended up selling a dozen or so cards but two really stood out. There was a really nice guy from Texas that happened to be a border patrol officer. He came by on Wednesday to look at my N162 Cap Anson. It was on his wish list but he didn't end pulling the trigger. Too many other cards to see at that point. But we ended up talking a lot about his job and as you can imagine he had some cool stories to tell. He came back again on Thursday and again on Friday to look at the card. This was a big decision, and finally on Saturday he was ready. He literally caught me as I was packing up to catch my flight home Saturday afternoon and he bought the card as we walked out the front door to my cab. The other sale was to a guy from St. Louis (he was wearing a Cardinals jersey) who was there with his wife. He was looking for two more 48 Leaf cards to complete his set. He needed a low grade Paige card and I just happened to have one. We talked for awhile and negotiated on price and finally the card was his. He was so damn happy to have that card. And even though I was a little sad to see it go, it was great to see how much he loved it. I saw him later walking around with the card in his hand and he said he just couldn't put it away, that he still couldn't believe he found it.
Like someone else said seeing the young kids at the show was great to see. The hobby is alive and well and the modern stuff is a driving a ton of money, I bet many multiples more than vintage.

Cons:
As a dealer you miss out a little on seeing all the stuff for sale as you're busy manning your booth and talking to potential customers. Since I was solo and didn't want to burden my booth mates with watching my stuff, I didn't get to get around the room like I normally would. I was able to lock my case and sneak away a couple times during slow periods to check stuff out. But for the most part I stuck close to the booth. Talking about slow periods, it does get a little boring standing around waiting. Anyone that's worked a trade show knows what I'm talking about. There was one point when I was getting a little punchy and found a kid a couple rows over and we started playing catch with a foam baseball.
Your feet take some serious punishment. My dogs were really barking, standing on hard concrete for 5 days straight days.

Well as you can see the pros outweigh the cons by a long shot so anyone thinking of trying your hand at "dealing" I would highly recommend the experience.

ruth_rookie 08-14-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajjohnsonsoxfan (Post 1803872)
Have really enjoyed reading everyone's recaps so thought I would add my own.

Pros: Loved meeting and talking to each collector as they came by my area. I would always ask what was on their hit list for the show and that would get us started on mostly lengthy conversations about what they collect and their experiences at the show.

Cons:
Your feet take some serious punishment. My dogs were really barking, standing on hard concrete for 5 days straight days.

Pros: now that’s how dealers should conduct business! Well done.

Cons: I’m surprised they let dogs in there. How cool is that?🤣

BillyCoxDodgers3B 08-14-2018 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ruth_rookie (Post 1803896)
Cons: I’m surprised they let dogs in there. How cool is that?��

They literally did. I passed by two police officers and their K-9. Is that really necessary at a sports memorabilia show? Can anyone surmise what the need for a police dog would be? Seemed entirely unwarranted. Clearly, large amounts of cash are all over the the room, as is the case at plenty of trade shows. This was either the Wednesday afternoon or the very early part of Thursday. The cops were there to make an arrest of which we're all aware, but was a K-9 needed for that purpose?

I have a fading recollection of seeing a police dog at another National. I want to say the second-last one held in Baltimore. Again, an arrest was made on the floor at some point during that show, but I'm still not seeing the need for a dog.

bobbyw8469 08-14-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCox3 (Post 1803902)
They literally did. I passed by two police officers and their K-9. Is that really necessary at a sports memorabilia show? Can anyone surmise what the need for a police dog would be? Seemed entirely unwarranted. Clearly, large amounts of cash are all over the the room, as is the case at plenty of trade shows. This was either the Wednesday afternoon or the very early part of Thursday. The cops were there to make an arrest of which we're all aware, but was a K-9 needed for that purpose?

I have a fading recollection of seeing a police dog at another National. I want to say the second-last one held in Baltimore. Again, an arrest was made on the floor at some point during that show, but I'm still not seeing the need for a dog.

Wow!! Totally didn't hear that one!! Who got arrested?

CurtisFlood 08-14-2018 08:16 PM

I think he is referring to a middle aged man and wife combo who were selling their own personally signed autos of famous people.

ruth_rookie 08-14-2018 08:39 PM

Very interesting article...

...by Rich Mueller for “Sports Collectors Daily” about the ‘91 National in Anaheim. Good times.

https://www.sportscollectorsdaily.co...theft-plagued/

Rich Klein 08-15-2018 05:03 AM

Couple of quick notes:

1) I know this does not affect people on this board but the case breakers being in the same room as the dealers brought extra energy to the show floor. In Chicago they are in their own room.

2) I don't think Jim is part of Levi's family but other than him most if not all of the people behind Levi's booth at NSCC are family members.

3) I do agree even with the Ferris Wheel and the breaks in the middle of the floor. this year was laid out beautifully for all concerned. One of my two local LCS had a table in the very back of the room and he sold everything he wanted to and more at the show. And trust me, he's no wholesaler either :)

Rich

tschock 08-15-2018 05:12 AM

Quote:

My guess would be because many criminals are more afraid of the dogs than they are of getting shot. I didn't see the K-9 dogs, but did see a couple of service dogs though.

KMayUSA6060 08-15-2018 07:18 AM

Quote:

I would much rather have K-9 units instead of metal detectors that make me feel like a terrorist for no reason and greatly slow entrance into the show.

RedsFan1941 08-15-2018 07:28 AM

Quote:

i am going to guess that the police are better judges of what they need to do their job than is a baseball card collector on a chat board. if they thought they needed a K-9 unit then so be it.

vthobby 08-15-2018 07:54 AM

Amen....

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1803990)
i am going to guess that the police are better judges of what they need to do their job than is a baseball card collector on a chat board. if they thought they needed a K-9 unit then so be it.

They are. True. In response to the previous poster that thought it was absurd.......what about the possibility that the dog was able to sense or sniff out bombs or explosives? That might come in handy in a crowd situation. How about as a flat out deterrent? If I'm a thief and see that dog, I might think twice about snatching a thousand dollar card and running if detected. Actually, that would definitely be a deterrent. Seeing a police dog and officers always makes me happy like when I see an F-16 fly by. Freedom baby. It tells me, no worries here, now just go about your day!

Peace, Mike

Bpm0014 08-15-2018 08:46 AM

Seeing a police dog and officers always makes me happy

Same here. Only criminals or those with bad intentions get nervous with a police presence...

Leon 08-15-2018 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1804012)

Same here. Only criminals or those with bad intentions get nervous with a police presence...

+1
I was eating at a Local In and Out Burgers yesterday. A few seats over were a couple of men in blue with guns. I felt safer. I always like seeing an authority presence where I am. Only bad people and idiots would think otherwise, imo.

conor912 08-15-2018 09:04 AM

Interesting. For me, seeing a cop and a dog means that they think there is a higher likelihood of sh*t going down. It puts me more on edge.

swarmee 08-15-2018 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1803909)
Wow!! Totally didn't hear that one!! Who got arrested?

Tony Posada
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=258169

Also, dogs is a slang term for feet. Wasn't sure some people in this thread actually understood that.

hcv123 08-15-2018 10:24 AM

Actually......

I heard the officers were collectors and the dogs were trained to sniff out dealers exaggerating the condition of their cards or inflating the prices of the same :D

Hot Springs Bathers 08-15-2018 10:38 AM

Leon are there other In and Out locations other than the one right on I-30 in Rockwall? I love them!

Leon 08-15-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers (Post 1804058)
Leon are there other In and Out locations other than the one right on I-30 in Rockwall? I love them!

Here are 37 with about half being in the DFW area...It seems there is one on every corner in parts of the North DFW area where I frequently drive. There are 2 on 635 within a few miles of each other, One near Coit and one near Midway or Marsh....... I live near Allen and know of the one in Allen (been there 7 yrs now) and one in PLano not far from me too. Good cheap burgers, "make it animal style dry with extra pickles and make the fries crispy please."

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations/texas

Back to the original subject. It sounds like almost everyone who went had a great time. I think it's wonderful as it's great for the hobby. When I go I usually have a good time seeing old friends and cards I can't (or won't) afford. And every now and then I am able to find a nugget too.
That said, I sure hope the National finds a better way to accommodate more dealers in the future. So far the National number to call hasn't been answering their phone or voicemails for going on 2 weeks now. What other business does that and succeeds? It's a modern day miracle. I think of sheeple.....and I am one too :).

Johnny630 08-15-2018 11:30 AM

LE K-9 Drugs/Weapons/Explosives. I always love to see uniformed law enforcement :-)

Most guys would never guess but there was plenty of law enforcement walking the floor dressed as ordinary guys. Many of us are collectors :-)

Hot Springs Bathers 08-15-2018 12:24 PM

We have limited Dallas shopping routes! I stay on Northwest Highway and Preston most of the time.

I also fondly remember both Arlington Nationals, very poorly run and really hot outside for people waiting in line but great fun. Security was not needed but EMT's had to attend to many people in line, it took forever to get inside.

vthobby 08-15-2018 02:08 PM

lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bpm0014 (Post 1804012)

Thanks Brendan,

I guess you could take your post both way but either way, I smiled!

:D

vthobby 08-15-2018 02:24 PM

Amen....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny630 (Post 1804082)
LE K-9 Drugs/Weapons/Explosives. I always love to see uniformed law enforcement :-)

Most guys would never guess but there was plenty of law enforcement walking the floor dressed as ordinary guys. Many of us are collectors :-)

Amen brother,

I live within 1 mile of daily F-16 flyovers and while some in our community complain of the noise all the time, I for one just smile every time I hear or see them. I usually hear them first! :) The sound of freedom and security.

I brought my daughter to Taylor Swift in Foxboro and saw heavy police presence. It seemed strange I guess to some but I liked it. The more crowds, the more chance of trouble.

Peace, Mike

Gnep31 08-15-2018 03:24 PM

1st Timer

This was my first one and likely first of many. I spent the entire day on Sat at the show. I very quickly realized I needed more than just one day....rookie mistake....especially for a set builder searching boxes.

I was in heaven and my smile was ear to ear. I mostly focused on looking for hits to my vintage sets, but I also ripped a box of A&G with my wife. She happened to open all three packs with the GU....she was happy and I was happy.

This past weekend we were at the Nascar race in MI and she bought her first card ever! It was a Dual Materials 6/25 of her favorite driver (Larson). I think she might have the bug and might even let me go back...lol

Overall had a great time, will definitely go back and spend more time than just one day.

Arazi4442 08-15-2018 04:34 PM

My first time at The National as well. Sounds like I'm the only one, but I was just a tiny bit disappointed. Tons of tables, great to see a huge turnout but, personally, I wish there had been a touch more diversity. Loved all the big-4 cards, espically the number of rarities. I was hoping for some of the harder to find items from other sports.

Plenty of examples from 2015-2018 but only saw one Pele, two Ali RCs(saw both sell for good $) and nearly zip from others- soccer, boxing, tennis, racing, golf (a few 81 Donruss), etc. You pay for a table, you can put out whatever you like, but with 600+ tables, I thought there might be a little more variety.

That said, I'll probably be there next year in Chicago. :D

Johnny630 08-15-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 1804130)
Amen brother,

I live within 1 mile of daily F-16 flyovers and while some in our community complain of the noise all the time, I for one just smile every time I hear or see them. I usually hear them first! :) The sound of freedom and security.

I brought my daughter to Taylor Swift in Foxboro and saw heavy police presence. It seemed strange I guess to some but I liked it. The more crowds, the more chance of trouble.

Peace, Mike

Yes Sir! Love It :-)

joshuanip 08-15-2018 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1803388)

Thats his loss. The polite thing to do is to counter with his asking price to bring you back to his BATNA. Guy probably just doesnt know how to negotiate.

Rich Klein 08-15-2018 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1804063)
Here are 37 with about half being in the DFW area...It seems there is one on every corner in parts of the North DFW area where I frequently drive. There are 2 on 635 within a few miles of each other, One near Coit and one near Midway or Marsh....... I live near Allen and know of the one in Allen (been there 7 yrs now) and one in PLano not far from me too. Good cheap burgers, "make it animal style dry with extra pickles and make the fries crispy please."

http://www.in-n-out.com/locations/texas

Back to the original subject. It sounds like almost everyone who went had a great time. I think it's wonderful as it's great for the hobby. When I go I usually have a good time seeing old friends and cards I can't (or won't) afford. And every now and then I am able to find a nugget too.
That said, I sure hope the National finds a better way to accommodate more dealers in the future. So far the National number to call hasn't been answering their phone or voicemails for going on 2 weeks now. What other business does that and succeeds? It's a modern day miracle. I think of sheeple.....and I am one too :).

I think the In and Out Burger place Leon is referring to is the one by the show I run at the Comfort Inn (subtle plug) -- there is also one about 10 minutes north on Central.

As for the 2019 National Tables they are already SOLD OUT with a growing wait list for next year. The odds are steep to get a table but always possible

Rich

wazoo 08-15-2018 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtgmsc (Post 1804130)
Amen brother,

Peace, Mike

Being that I’m up your way too — all I can say is time to base the F35s

gawaintheknight 08-15-2018 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1804019)
+1
I was eating at a Local In and Out Burgers yesterday. A few seats over were a couple of men in blue with guns. I felt safer. I always like seeing an authority presence where I am. Only bad people and idiots would think otherwise, imo.

Respectfully disagree. I know you don't allow political discussions here but there are many stories of police abuse and misconduct that make many people, especially racial minorities, legitimately nervous to see the police even when they have done nothing wrong. If you want, I can give examples and statistics. If you want to think of me as an idiot that's fine with me. Thanks for letting me speak my piece. Ted Clayton

wazoo 08-15-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gawaintheknight (Post 1804199)
Respectfully disagree. I know you don't allow political discussions here but there are many stories of police abuse and misconduct that make many people, especially racial minorities, legitimately nervous to see the police even when they have done nothing wrong. If you want, I can give examples and statistics. If you want to think of me as an idiot that's fine with me. Thanks for letting me speak my piece.

A few bad eggs can besmirch the overall image of a group of men and women who put their lives on the line for us each day -- I'm thankful for law enforcement and for all of their work that goes unnoticed. Abuse of power comes with all positions, it's not just about statistics. It's our job to stay vigilant and speak up when such injustices occur. Thin blue line....