Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   1928 Harrington's Babe Ruth on Ebay (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=275651)

rgpete 11-09-2019 12:36 PM

1928 Harrington's Babe Ruth on Ebay

1 Attachment(s)
The right card edge does not look right with a slight curve, or is it me. It is currently on eBay as Item ID 401941672443

Rhotchkiss 11-09-2019 12:45 PM

I don’t know anything about these cards. However, here is an old net54 thread where they are discussed and it seems they often come oddly cut

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=147848

rgpete 11-09-2019 12:58 PM

Thanks but it looks like the so called bat ear top and bottom

ullmandds 11-09-2019 01:30 PM

It's PWCC...so...caveat emptor.

Rhotchkiss 11-09-2019 02:11 PM

Oh, I think the right edge looks super wavy and not right. But I dont know anything about these cards. I did a quick internet search to see if they were handcut, and I could not find a definitive answer, but I believe they were not. So, without knowing much about these cards, other than they are likely not hand cut (and related to Tharps, Yuengling, etc), I think that edge looks like was not machine cut.

That said, based on the thread about the GAI Gehrig, PSA knows all and so if they slabbed it, it must be correct :D

I think Pete said it best, its PWCC, so beware.

But look, worst case, crack it out and send to PSA. If it comes back as Authentic, you can get a refund.

rgpete 11-09-2019 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1929855)
Oh, I think the right edge looks super wavy and not right. But I dont know anything about these cards. I did a quick internet search to see if they were handcut, and I could not find a definitive answer, but I believe they were not. So, without knowing much about these cards, other than they are likely not hand cut (and related to Tharps, Yuengling, etc), I think that edge looks like was not machine cut.

That said, based on the thread about the GAI Gehrig, PSA knows all and so if they slabbed it, it must be correct :D

But look, worst case, crack it out and send to PSA. If it comes back as Authentic, you can get a refund.

Just do your research before the buy

rgpete 11-09-2019 02:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my card for comparing

Copa7 11-09-2019 09:23 PM

1928 Ruth

Here's my copy. I'd be weary of PWCC

https://i.postimg.cc/7h6RXmSp/IMG-20190809-213230.jpg

evangeleblanc 11-09-2019 09:37 PM

Ruth Card

Looking at all the provided pictures as well as VCP for comparison, I would say the concerns voiced here are warranted based on the corners. They do not look natural to the card and it doesn't seem to be a factory cut situation, I wouldn't be comfortable with this card if I saw it raw. PSA being the grader for one, but especially PWCC being the seller adds an extra layer, in a word....AVOID!!!!

clydepepper 11-09-2019 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's Mine (we never get tired of showing them off do we?):

Attachment 372497

CuriousGeorge 11-09-2019 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My turn

pokerplyr80 11-10-2019 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Similar pose from a set a year earlier

rgpete 11-10-2019 12:34 PM

Nice Cards ! can never get tired of a Babe Ruth card

pokerplyr80 11-10-2019 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1929855)

I'm not sure that is good advice. You'd probably have a hard time getting a refund if you cracked the card out before submitting it.

Rhotchkiss 11-10-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1930191)
I'm not sure that is good advice. You'd probably have a hard time getting a refund if you cracked the card out before submitting it.

Jesse, there is a massive thread that has dominated the board this weekend where the buyer did exactly that and eBay made the seller accept a return of the card and issue a full refund. While I was being sarcastic (bc I think it’s massively F-ed up), all I did was suggest what eBay literally just blessed/mandated.

pokerplyr80 11-10-2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1930195)
Jesse, there is a massive thread that has dominated the board this weekend where the buyer did exactly that and eBay made the seller accept a return of the card and issue a full refund. While I was being sarcastic (bc I think it’s massively F-ed up), all I did was suggest what eBay literally just blessed/mandated.

Ahh your comment makes much more sense given that context. I did not catch that thread, and can't believe they allowed that return. Yet another reason to avoid selling on ebay.

Edit I read the first few comments in that thread. Unbelievable. I don't feel like reading 300+ comments right now but has anyone identified the buyer who returned the card?

Rhotchkiss 11-10-2019 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 (Post 1930191)

No. For whatever reason, the OP, who feels he got screwed out of $5k, will not disclose the buyer’s name. The whole thing is very odd

pokerplyr80 11-10-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1930254)
No. For whatever reason, the OP, who feels he got screwed out of $5k, will not disclose the buyer’s name. The whole thing is very odd

I just read through half of the thread. It does seem odd. And while I agree completely the nondisclosure doesn't surprise me at all. It happens every time around here.

In my opinion if you won't name the person or company who screwed you over, which would presumably benefit everyone on the board, then don't start the thread.

Leon 11-13-2019 02:20 PM

They can certainly have some slopes but l still don't like that one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgpete (Post 1929835)
The right card edge does not look right with a slight curve, or is it me. It is currently on eBay as Item ID 401941672443

rgpete 11-14-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1931091)
They can certainly have some slopes but l still don't like that one.

But what I noticed are the bat ears top and bottom

Leon 11-16-2019 07:59 AM

waviness of right and left borders

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgpete (Post 1931405)
But what I noticed are the bat ears top and bottom

Agree on that too. However, to me, the most telling trim aspect is the waviness of the right and left borders. A slope cut is one thing as seen on several shown, but the waviness up and down of the slopes is my main concern with it. That doesn't happen from a factory type cutter I don't think. Nothing surprises me anymore in TPG slabs.

rgpete 11-22-2019 03:20 PM

My response from PWCC New message from: pwcc_auctions Top Rated Seller(207,006RedShooting Star)
Hi rgpete2001,

Sincere apologies for the delay in my response. Due to a technical error with eBay we received a higher volume of messages over the weekend and It looks like this item ended before we were able to respond to your query. We promise to do better for you in the future!

Best Regards,

Zach Landes

PWCC Marketplace

PWCC Marketplace, LLC

Your previous message

The right edge looks a bit wavy being a slight curve especially at the top and bottom corners

How convenient I got the response after the auction finished