Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   storing cabinet cards (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=78734)

Archive 10-17-2005 11:31 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>Craig Lipman</b><p>Hi,<br />I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on how to store and protect oversized cabinet cards, w600s , n142s etc.<br />Thanks for your help

Archive 10-17-2005 11:38 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>Julie Vognar</b><p>Mailing them is of course a different matter--stiff stuff.

Archive 10-17-2005 11:58 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>Cabinet cards are sturdy. Whichever way you store them, you want to make sure they aren't dinged and dented, and that they are stored away from light, exessive heat and humidity.

Archive 10-17-2005 01:16 PM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>scott brockelman</b><p>Julie, where do you get your Vario pages? looking for a price break on quantity.<br /><br />David, (or others) do you feel it is better to store the cards horizontally(flat with other stacked upon) OR vertically in some type of sleeve or loose, i have been told both have pros and cons, but really see no problem either way.<br /><br />scott

Archive 10-17-2005 02:07 PM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>A potential problem with stacking photos on top of each other is that the image surfaces can stick. This is more of a problem with modern photos, especially color photos, which still have moisture. Most 1800s photos are pretty much dry as a bone and it's not a big issue. Another possible problem with stacked photos is scratches to the images-- though if the photos are in individual holders, even soft sleaves, it's not much of a worry.<br /><br />I've had lots of photos, old to new. I've had only a few instances of photos sticking to each other. These were modern photos (1990s- ), usually color, and the photos were wrongly stacked image to image. Make sure, photos are stacked back to front if they aren't in a holder.<br /><br />I have a lot of large modern paper photos (no cardboard backing). My biggest problem is dinged and creases to corners and scratches to the mages. I find that the best thing is to put the photo is a penny sleave-style holder and stack them carefully and out of the way, so I don't step on them.

Archive 10-17-2005 04:10 PM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>Darren J. Duet</b><p>There is no acceptable way to store vintage cabinet cards; I'd recommend selling all that you have to me--I'm okay with dealing the difficult proper storage issue.

Archive 10-17-2005 04:24 PM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>warshawlaw</b><p>I put the cards into 8 x 10 album pages cut down to size, then into top loaders, and then put that into a full 3-ring album page. I can flip through the books at leisure without worrying about harming the cards.

Archive 10-17-2005 05:46 PM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>John J. Grillo</b><p>Jay from qualitycards.com provided me this advice: the use of comic book protectors...I have 1 turkey red cabinet of Jack Johnson, the comic book protectors fit perfectly.<br /><br />

Archive 10-18-2005 07:25 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>I put mine in top-loaders, then stack in a box.

Archive 10-18-2005 08:10 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>I'm with Darren.........ship all your W600's to me and I'll store them for you in a safe, dry environment that used to house about 130 of them...........

Archive 10-18-2005 08:25 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>Scott Forrest</b><p>I really like storing them in toploaders because I don't like taking them out and I like as few pieces of plastic between the card and my viewing as possible - the album sleeves blur the image.<br /><br />Another thing I've done is create my own box to hold similar-size toploaders (post-card size for example). The box opens to the side like a file brief-case, the top piece coming over and attached with velcro. I made the last one out of mattboard and it worked perfectly - same sort of box could be made for T3's, etc.

Archive 10-18-2005 10:09 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>davidcycleback</b><p>I should also add that I've owned lots of 1920s-70s wirephotos and similar photos. I always kept them in stacks on shelves, no holders or anything. I had little to no problems having them stacked that way beyond the dinged corners. Most damage has happened when I was handling them, not while they were being s tored. So letting old photos sit there off to the side is not a big issue.

Archive 10-18-2005 10:22 AM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>scott</b><p>thanks for the input, i am currently storing most of the cabinets in mylar envelopes, stacked upright in a box that is nearly the perfect size to hold them. i have considered putting them in Vario pages and albums, but that would be extremely bulky, making storage in a safe impossible, but would greatly facilitate viewing. <br /><br />sidenote to tom and darren: AIN'T HAPPENEN!<br /><br />scott

Archive 10-18-2005 02:17 PM

storing cabinet cards

Posted By: <b>Richard</b><p>Scott,<br /><br />Can you please post a pic of the hinged box that you made - I am trying to visualize it and maybe make one myself.<br /><br /><br />