Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What card did you never think you'd own, but now you do? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=248464)

Bored5000 12-09-2017 04:34 PM

I know it's not baseball, but the answer for me is the card in my avatar. Lorenzen with car is a legendary rarity from the landmark 1972 STP racing set. Long-time racing super collector Jon Hardgrove wrote over on the non-sports side of things that he had only previously seen one example of the card in 26 years prior to purchasing his Lorenzen w/car card.

I talked on the phone with another long-time racing collector in Connecticut who I purchased some cards from, and she told me it took her 20 years to find an example of the card -- and that one had a pinhole in the card from being tacked to a wall.

PSA only has one graded example of the card in their population report (although I did just submit mine for grading with them last week).

I was shocked when I saw an example of the card show up at auction on eBay last year.

brian1961 12-10-2017 04:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The cards I chose for the cover of my book were all choice Mickey Mantle items that for years I never thought I would own. In the case of the rare unfolded 1962 JELL-O Mantle box, I never heard of a card from the set existing this way. However, when I spied it in Mr. Mint Alan Rosen's All-State display case at the fall 88 Philly convention, I wasted not one second deliberating with The Mint Man. After a few questions were answered, his price was paid---instant centerpiece!;) --- Brian Powell

mouschi 12-12-2017 03:19 PM

I cannot believe this only happened a couple months ago, but here goes ... I'll *TRY* to make this short & sweet :)

Years ago, a friend showed me this card:

http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-cont...innaclered.jpg

This is a 1998 Pinnacle Certified Red prototype. He recently told me that he believed this to be a one of a kind, and I believed him, because I've NEVER seen another.

Then this popped up on ebay:

http://mycollectionofcards.com/baseb...Untitled-9.jpg

A MIRROR RED version!!!!

No matter what it was going to take, I was going to make it mine. Then I saw this ...

http://mycollectionofcards.com/baseb...Untitled-6.jpg

I researched the seller and found out he was in Dallas. I had a very hard time getting a hold of him, and then I remembered I knew a dealer guy in Dallas. On a whim ... after about 2 years or so not talking to him, I texted him. He knew the seller! He got me in touch with him, but nothing panned out :(

The very next day, I received a message from the guy I knew. "Tanner, why didn't you say you were looking for that card? I think I have it!"

Uhmmm ... yeah right. A unicorn that didn't exist for 20 years until last week? No way, but thanks.

After a few days, we spoke on the phone and he said he would get me a pic.

HE HAD IT!!!!!!

AND MORRRRRRE!!!!!!!!!!

http://mycollectionofcards.com/baseb...17/rainbow.png

These cards have never been seen before ... nor did anyone know they existed, so I was able to add the entire run to my collection.

It was the most bizarre deal ever with plenty of twists and turns, for a complete rainbow of the most beautiful of rainbows. Definitely a holy grail find for me!

Happy does not even begin to describe what I felt/feel :)

I ended up writing a story on it here: http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2017/10...en-before.html as well as for Sports Collectors Daily. Shortly thereafter, Ryan Cracknell of Beckett Magazine wrote an article for Beckett on them as well.

LincolnVT 12-12-2017 04:26 PM

Conseco

I too was on the hunt for a Conseco in my younger days. The 86 Rated Rookie was the hot card of my early collecting days. Never ended up with one.

Cerberus 12-12-2017 06:08 PM

Perhaps 20 years ago, my collecting focus was on the T-205 Gold Border set, which I personally believed to be the best looking set of cards ever produced. Debatable, I know, but this has always been my personal feeling. I of course never thought I'd be able to acquire the Hoblitzell No Stats variation, because of its scarcity. Over the years, however, I was able to acquire two different versions of the card--one of them in a PSA 6. Unfortunately, like many of us, there came a time in my life where I had to sell the bulk of the collection, including the Hobby's. Sure was nice to have caught my white whale, though, for a time.

Exhibitman 12-15-2017 09:26 AM

Great Pinnacle story, Tanner. I pick up the 1997s from time to time.

For those who don’t know, in a nutshell, as Pinnacle circled the drain it printed and issued cards more and more sporadically. There are some parallels out there that were not ready to go but that were pushed out the door as the company died.

Brian Van Horn 02-12-2019 11:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I frankly didn't think this one existed:

JohnP0621 02-13-2019 04:08 AM

Cards

1 Attachment(s)
When I first started to collect T206 , I never thought I would own one with a Drum or Uzit back. Years later I got both and with the same player front.

JohnP0621 02-13-2019 04:11 AM

Back photo

1 Attachment(s)
Drum and Uzit Wiltse

WillBBC 02-13-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1726949)
As a kid that was my answer, too. I never was able to get one. Always so expensive in NYC. The Donruss I just gave up on. I equally coveted the 83 Traded Strawberry and 84 Topps and Fleer Goodens. Never had them as a boy. Were the first cards I circled back for after college.

Haha, I was so lucky when I was 8. A family friend gave me two cards for my eighth birthday. A Brien Taylor Topps rookie, and the '84 Topps Mattingly. I absolutely cherished that thing. My grandfather helped me put together a little display box for it!

Then I was invited to the ring bearer for my aunt's wedding. She surprised me with the Donruss Mattingly as a thank you gift. My mind was blown. Apparently my mom remembered me gawking at it at the local shop (Card Mart, Verona, NJ, never forget) and relayed the word. Best wedding ever.

More recently it's two. Aaron and Clemente rookies.

Eggoman 02-13-2019 07:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was ALWAYS awed by this card from the first time that I ever saw one. Prices kept going up faster than I was willing to pay until I thought that I would NEVER own one that wasn't a beater...

THANKS ORLY!!!!

KCRfan1 02-13-2019 07:44 AM

The color really pops Greg. Well Done! That's a beauty!

BeanTown 02-13-2019 08:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wow! All the cards above are very nice! Congrats to all. The Cobb Topping postcard has always eluded me for decades. Ive either been the under bidder or missed out on a private sale, when one hit the market. I finally was able to acquire it recently. The other card I love and never thought I would own, is the Cobbzilla Hubel Hotel postcard.

One more Cobb I would love to own is the W600 Sporting Life Cabinet which at this point, I should go buy a reprint of it, as it seems to be an impossible dream of mine.

LincolnVT 02-13-2019 08:26 AM

Cobb

Beautiful Jay Cee! You've got some great stuff.

Kawika 02-13-2019 10:22 AM

I started collecting vintage in a serious way about twenty years ago. One of the very first cards I acquired was a 1932 Zeenut of Prince Henry Oana who back in the 1920s was a boyhood favorite of my SF Mission born-and-bred father. It didn't have its coupon and I always harboured the hope that I would find an intact card. I didn't know if one even existed. Seattlerainiers indicated he had a couponed Oana but Dave is a multi-billionaire and I am an impoverished dreamer so I was left to fantasize. At long last about five years ago I saw one on eBay, went through all the trepidations and anxieties, put in a scorched-earth bid and won the card I never thought I'd own.

https://photos.imageevent.com/kawika...20_coupon_.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/kawika...001%20Oana.jpg

triwak 02-13-2019 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny Cole (Post 1727373)
I've been lucky to acquire a number of cards I never thought I'd own. But if I had to choose just one, its the Tomas Gutierrez Oscar Charleston. It was the No. 1 card on my want list for probably 20 years but I never thought I'd get to own one.

Amazing card, Kenny!! I'm still looking for a Gutierrez Andy Cooper. But thankful to have acquired this Mackey. Thought it might be unobtainable.

kdixon 02-13-2019 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had never seen one for sale . Wheat Piedmont Art stamp .

CrackaJackKid 02-13-2019 11:40 AM

CJ

1914 Cracker Jack Charlie Sheen Collection card hands down.

jchcollins 02-13-2019 11:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This card will pale in comparison to many of the others already posted here because it's not particularly rare or uber-expensive, but it was expensive enough for me.

Through the combination of a seller who was willing to negotiate more than I had anticipated on a card that was strong for the grade, and a 15% eBay day - I was able to land this beauty last fall for at least $150 less than I think it's reasonably worth. All things considered this is probably my favorite baseball card of all time. I had held out hope that I would have a beater some day, but never one this nice. :)

Zan 02-13-2019 12:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I honestly never thought I would.

riggs336 02-13-2019 01:04 PM

1937 OPC DiMaggio. Never thought I'd find one I could afford, but I did.

clydepepper 02-13-2019 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 1727043)
I was thinking on a similar line, but more "What card did you think you would never own, but now that you do you think, eh, not as cool as I thought it would be?"

It's coolness only waned when after I picked up his RC and the two '41 DPs- so I let it go.

I'll get it back someday...too much a TED fan not to.

Attachment 344305

Exhibitman 02-13-2019 02:26 PM

Sommer & Kaufmann is a really tough issue. There were two sets, 1948 and 1949. This is the 1949. ACC designation is H801-4B. PSA's total pop on the 1949 set is 13 cards with 0 Lefty O'Douls; the 1948 set has three cards graded, also 0 O'Doul cards. Now, since I am an O'Doul collector, I had been searching for this card for a while. When I saw the 1949 on eBay, signed, with a BIN, I couldn't believe it. I hadn't even seen the card before, nevermind a signed one. There are reprints and counterfeits of the S&K issues but the signature was a perfect vintage Lefty, that I was sure of, so I wasn't too worried about the card itself being a fake. It was like that Groucho Bowman card when I saw that. Didn't care about the price, just had to have it.

http://photos.imageevent.com/exhibit...SK%20PDoul.jpg

Joshwesley 02-13-2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MR RAREBACK (Post 1727913)
Paige

What the crap?
2 satchels?

That’s my white whale in any condition PSA 1 or cut in half... i’d Take it!

Nice collection!

BuzzD 02-13-2019 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rose PC Stahl !! I have Glade, still looking for Niles. 3 really tough NYAL

Peter_Spaeth 02-13-2019 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nothing to do with money, I just didn't think I would ever see one.

Bicem 02-13-2019 08:26 PM

Favorite Cobb card mailed by Cobb. What more could I ask for?

https://photos.imageevent.com/bicem/...%20PSA%20A.jpg

https://photos.imageevent.com/bicem/...513_181508.jpg

benchod 02-13-2019 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1854510)

Awesome!!

mechanicalman 02-13-2019 08:56 PM

Quote:

I never get tired of this. I think it’s the coolest piece in the hobby. “Excuse this advertising card” is priceless.

tjb1952tjb 02-14-2019 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Van Horn (Post 1854277)
I frankly didn't think this one existed:

Bob Skinner lives about four blocks from me in San Diego (Pacific Beach). I've never seen that photo before. Nice.

jchcollins 02-14-2019 06:43 AM

Quote:

That is at least officially tied for the coolest thing I've ever seen.

BeanTown 02-14-2019 06:54 AM

Quote:

Awesome card Jeff! Thanks for showing

Leon 02-14-2019 07:03 AM

Ironically had I not sold my collection I wouldn't have been able to get it.

http://luckeycards.com/pe901youngpsa2a.jpg

LincolnVT 02-14-2019 08:53 AM

Beautiful card Leon!!

Jeff P...why have you not posted your Cobb PC sent by Cobb on the Best Cobb deal for under 10k thread? LOL

Beautiful PC!!!!

aljurgela 02-14-2019 09:53 AM

Never thought that I could pry this away from the previous owner

1 Attachment(s)
but I am glad that I did

leaflover 02-14-2019 09:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been collecting 1948 Leafs for about 30 years and had never seen a nice high grade Cavaretta. This one surfaced in a Heritage auction last December. I feel that I was lucky to get it!

MattyC 02-14-2019 09:58 AM

Damn that Cobb postcard is hot fire. And always love seeing that e90 Cy; it singlehandedly makes the case for going high grade when it is possible. Overall presentation is phenomenal.

Peter_Spaeth 02-14-2019 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyC (Post 1854626)
Damn that Cobb postcard is hot fire. And always love seeing that e90 Cy; it singlehandedly makes the case for going high grade when it is possible. Overall presentation is phenomenal.

Even on its 100th appearance on the forum, it's a stunning card.:D

triwak 02-14-2019 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aljurgela (Post 1854624)
but I am glad that I did

Always love seeing that amazing card, Al!!

oldjudge 02-14-2019 12:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1/1 rookie card of greatest woman's basketball player ever. It was a submission.

jchcollins 02-14-2019 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1854584)
Ironically had I not sold my collection I wouldn't have been able to get it.

http://luckeycards.com/pe901youngpsa2a.jpg

That is one insanely nice baseball card.

soxinseven 02-14-2019 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jchcollins (Post 1854660)
That is one insanely nice baseball card.

I have seen the card in person and can honestly say that it's nicer than even the scans show. A truly fantastic card.

Leon 02-15-2019 07:58 AM

I remember the night I won it. It mesmerized me into buying it. I couldn't help myself!! Thanks for the kind words too.

So many great cards in this thread., They are ALL a joy to look at. Thanks to everyone for posting them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by soxinseven (Post 1854681)
I have seen the card in person and can honestly say that it's nicer than even the scans show. A truly fantastic card.

daves_resale_shop 02-15-2019 08:25 AM

Ted

1 Attachment(s)
These two

Jobu 02-15-2019 11:34 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have two. Always looking for a third. :)

frankbmd 02-15-2019 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 344486

Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine ever owning a card featuring the trombone of Glenn Miller. The card is flat and the corners are sharp, but Glenn was always in tune. It truly puts me In The Mood.

Sean 02-15-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnP0621 (Post 1854286)
When I first started to collect T206 , I never thought I would own one with a Drum or Uzit back. Years later I got both and with the same player front.

So do we have a back run to look forward to?

Vintagecatcher 02-16-2019 06:00 AM

E90-1 Peaches Graham

1 Attachment(s)
I was very fortunate to pick up this E90-1 Peaches Graham a few years back.
Luckily it was poorly listed, and sold for a great price, which I was more than happy to pay.

Patrick