Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 42 Subset Complete! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=211377)

t206hound 09-12-2015 03:12 PM

Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 42 Subset Complete!

I started collecting this subset for reasons I don't even remember about two and a half years ago. It started with a raw McIntyre (Brooklyn and Chicago) that I received in a lot. The card was in decent shape, but not good enough to send away for grading. I believe that I checked T206Resource.com to see how many cards were in the subset. Only 46! Wow... that will be easy. Sweet Caps are common backs and fewer than fifty cards. Sure, a Cobb, a WaJo, a Matty, a Cy Young and eleven other hall of famers, but this will be a piece of cake.

A few months later I picked up a card on the BST with a factory 42 back. When I received it, I went to check it off my 'needs' spreadsheet and it wasn't on there. I double checked T206Resource.com and the Ames (Hands at Chest) was marked as a "Probable No Print." I checked eBay and actually saw another, so I decided to consign it as the first find, and then buy one later. I never saw another one. Thankfully, I was able to track down the winner of the auction and was able to trade to get it back recently.

The Dougherty (Arm in Air) is another really tough one. I saw two or three right when I started the subset over two years ago, but another one didn't become available until just a few months ago on eBay. It was a beauty of an SGC 70 which would make it by far the highest graded card in my collection. An SGC 60 just ended on eBay recently, but I was the under bidder. I've only seen five of these cards, and only four of the Ames in this time frame.

The last card to pick up was the Evers (Yellow Sky, Chicago on Shirt). I think one board member has a high grade version, but I haven't run across any others. I've also only seen a couple of Cobbs and a few of the Chase Blue Portrait.

Unfortunately, thinking this would be an easy task, I didn't really keep track of the "tough" cards once I obtained them because I simply stopped looking for them. The Exclusive Twelve cards are by far the easiest to find. I now regret not keeping tabs on occurrences of the other 35.

If I were to guess, I'd say that I may have the only completed subset of Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 42. Some of these are roughed up cards that I will upgrade over time. Next step, the Factory 30 subset!

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...35/full-subset

Sean 09-12-2015 03:18 PM

Great job Erick, especially that Ames. :)

mrvster 09-12-2015 03:33 PM

Erick.........

DUDE!:eek:

WHAT AN ACCOMPLISHMENT!

do we have another superset collector??????????????:)

Mountaineer1999 09-12-2015 03:34 PM

Great job! The picture with them all together looks cool. 47 seems like an odd print number so do you think there is another or another 3 out there undiscovered?

steve B 09-12-2015 04:00 PM

If you try the over prints you'll find a few more really tough "commons"

Nice subset!

Steve B

Seiklis 09-12-2015 04:07 PM

Awesome job Erick, glad I could help you out on that Young :)

t206hound 09-12-2015 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountaineer1999 (Post 1451920)
Great job! The picture with them all together looks cool. 47 seems like an odd print number so do you think there is another or another 3 out there undiscovered?

Two theories:
the Ames and Dougherty were swapped at some point during the production run.
the Ames and Dougherty were short printed on the same sheet

In both theories, the population of Ames and Dougherty are lower than the others in the subset.

Thromdog 09-12-2015 04:47 PM

Congrats Erick! I've been watching for the Evers for a while and noticed the lot last week.....glad you got it.

xplainer 09-12-2015 05:05 PM

That is beautiful. Excellent job!

wolf441 09-12-2015 06:47 PM

Great job Erick!

You seem to constantly come up with T206 finds/theories/ideas that I've never even imagined. It's really enjoyable to watch you (and our other experts on the board) work!! :D

BBT206 09-12-2015 07:10 PM

SC 42 Subset

Great job Erick. There is a nice Ames on the current Goodwin auction, if you are looking to upgrade.

Jobu 09-12-2015 11:53 PM

Congrats Erick! I ws hoping to find at least one of these for you but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I will just have to settle for finding you a nice Rossman miscut.

freakhappy 09-13-2015 01:03 AM

Wow...great achievement, Erick! Definitely something to be proud of :eek:

Good luck on the 30's :cool:

BlueSky 09-13-2015 02:21 AM

Cool subset. Nice discovery on the Ames.

atx840 09-13-2015 08:47 AM

Awesome Erick, just shows that even the "common" backed subsets can be a challenge to complete.

t206hound 09-13-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBT206 (Post 1451972)
Great job Erick. There is a nice Ames on the current Goodwin auction, if you are looking to upgrade.

that ames is a factory 25, which is easier to find. Thanks though!

Thromdog 09-13-2015 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206hound (Post 1451911)

Next step, the Factory 30 subset!

Erick, curious on your thoughts regarding the hand cut Fact 30's that have surfaced on ebay over the last few months. I assume you will just go after the 52 known only?

Again, well done.....

mybuddyinc 09-13-2015 11:00 AM

GREAT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it'd get done :)

I think the 30's won't be as difficult. Other than the "new" ones Jeff indicated.

BTW, I like the Snodgrass/catching the best ;)

t206hound 09-14-2015 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thromdog (Post 1452114)
Erick, curious on your thoughts regarding the hand cut Fact 30's that have surfaced on ebay over the last few months. I assume you will just go after the 52 known only?

Again, well done.....

I agree with the consensus on those that they were intended to have the overprint and likely didn't find their way into packs. So, that said, I will just go after the 52 in the "known" list.

T206Collector 09-14-2015 01:02 PM

Really cool subset. Thanks for sharing!

Joshchisox08 09-14-2015 01:09 PM

Good job Erick they look awesome next to each other.

tedzan 09-14-2015 01:23 PM

Erick

Nice going on your SWEET CAP 460 Factory 42 sub-set.....tis a really neat achievement.

I find your Ames and Dougherty observation very interesting. As it coincides with the red HINDU phenomena of these same 47 subjects.

These same 47 subjects with the SWEET CAP 460 Factory 42 backs are "print-run mates" with their red HINDU counterparts.

In this past year, Dougherty was finally discovered with the red HINDU back. Ames has yet to be discovered. I do expect that Ames will
eventually be found with the red HINDU back.

Incidentally, I believe David Hall (by virtue of his T206 master set) also has all 47 of these with SC 460/42 backs.

Good luck on the Factory #30 run.

TED Z

RCMcKenzie 09-15-2015 01:06 AM

Way to go, Erick. GL on the next run.

Leon 09-17-2015 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206hound (Post 1451911)
I started collecting this subset for reasons I don't even remember about two and a half years ago. It started with a raw McIntyre (Brooklyn and Chicago) that I received in a lot. The card was in decent shape, but not good enough to send away for grading. I believe that I checked T206Resource.com to see how many cards were in the subset. Only 46! Wow... that will be easy. Sweet Caps are common backs and fewer than fifty cards. Sure, a Cobb, a WaJo, a Matty, a Cy Young and eleven other hall of famers, but this will be a piece of cake.

A few months later I picked up a card on the BST with a factory 42 back. When I received it, I went to check it off my 'needs' spreadsheet and it wasn't on there. I double checked T206Resource.com and the Ames (Hands at Chest) was marked as a "Probable No Print." I checked eBay and actually saw another, so I decided to consign it as the first find, and then buy one later. I never saw another one. Thankfully, I was able to track down the winner of the auction and was able to trade to get it back recently.

The Dougherty (Arm in Air) is another really tough one. I saw two or three right when I started the subset over two years ago, but another one didn't become available until just a few months ago on eBay. It was a beauty of an SGC 70 which would make it by far the highest graded card in my collection. An SGC 60 just ended on eBay recently, but I was the under bidder. I've only seen five of these cards, and only four of the Ames in this time frame.

The last card to pick up was the Evers (Yellow Sky, Chicago on Shirt). I think one board member has a high grade version, but I haven't run across any others. I've also only seen a couple of Cobbs and a few of the Chase Blue Portrait.

Unfortunately, thinking this would be an easy task, I didn't really keep track of the "tough" cards once I obtained them because I simply stopped looking for them. The Exclusive Twelve cards are by far the easiest to find. I now regret not keeping tabs on occurrences of the other 35.

If I were to guess, I'd say that I may have the only completed subset of Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 42. Some of these are roughed up cards that I will upgrade over time. Next step, the Factory 30 subset!

http://www.collectorfocus.com/images...35/full-subset

That is very cool, congrats. (sometimes I am late to the party)