Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Wheatland Auction Services - New Auction is Open for Bidding (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=319633)

chuckw 05-14-2022 07:48 PM

Wheatland Auction Services - New Auction is Open for Bidding

6 Attachment(s)
Our latest auction is now live - a great mix of pre-war, post-war, current era, and more. Many great autographs, a massive amount of silver, and even a 2021 Rolex watch! Good luck bidding - all lots start at $5 with no reserve! Don't forget to check out the RARE PSA 10 GEM 1961 Topps Mickey Mantle Blasts 565 Ft. Home Run #406 - Pop 4!

https://www.wheatlandauctionservices.com/catalog.aspx

Peter_Spaeth 05-14-2022 08:48 PM

Odd venue to consign a Rolex, IMO.

mrreality68 05-14-2022 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2224961)
Odd venue to consign a Rolex, IMO.

Agreed but it Is a nice watch but agreed odd if it was not from a sports figure or something

chuckw 05-14-2022 09:49 PM

Many sports collectors also buy and invest in silver, gold, high-end comics, and high-end watches, and the Rolex watch market has been one of the hottest collectible markets. Rolex watches have been appreciating like crazy over the past 2 years. Many Rolex stores were even completely out of inventory much of last year. In fact, gold, silver, and Rolex watches are often discussed during our local sports card investment meetings with collectors (if I remember correctly, half of the attendees at our last meeting were wearing Rolex watches).

Peter_Spaeth 05-14-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckw (Post 2224975)
Many sports collectors also buy and invest in silver, gold, high-end comics, and high-end watches, and the Rolex watch market has been one of the hottest collectible markets. Rolex watches have been appreciating like crazy over the past 2 years. Many Rolex stores were even completely out of inventory much of last year. In fact, gold, silver, and Rolex watches are often discussed during our local sports card investment meetings with collectors (if I remember correctly, half of the attendees at our last meeting were wearing Rolex watches).

Agree with everything you say, am familiar with watches and coins myself, and it's a beautiful sub, was just surprised to see it in a sports auction. Hope it does well.

Incidentally a current model Rolex Oyster Perpetual "Tiffany Blue," I was just reading, sold for 70k, up from maybe 15K or so before it was unexpectedly discontinued.

chuckw 05-14-2022 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2224977)
Agree with everything you say, am familiar with watches and coins myself, and it's a beautiful sub, was just surprised to see it in a sports auction. Hope it does well.

Incidentally a current model Rolex Oyster Perpetual "Tiffany Blue," I was just reading, sold for 70k, up from maybe 15K or so before it was unexpectedly discontinued.

Thanks Peter. It should be fun to see how it goes and it's amazing to see so many Rolex watches sell for over $50k these days. It's funny because a handful of buyers have mentioned to us in the past that we should start to sell Rolex watches. I assume this is because a lot of sports card buyers have also been making good profit on buyer/selling Rolex watches. The 2021 sub we are selling is likely going to continue to appreciate nicely over the next few years, as that has been the constant trend of the newer models. We try to keep things fun and try out more non-traditional items for sports collectors to diversify their investments. We have more silver than ever in this auction as well, and a handful of comic book lots.

Peter_Spaeth 05-14-2022 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckw (Post 2224980)
Thanks Peter. It should be fun to see how it goes and it's amazing to see so many Rolex watches sell for over $50k these days. It's funny because a handful of buyers have mentioned to us in the past that we should start to sell Rolex watches. I assume this is because a lot of sports card buyers have also been making good profit on buyer/selling Rolex watches. The 2021 sub we are selling is likely going to continue to appreciate nicely over the next few years, as that has been the constant trend of the newer models. We try to keep things fun and try out more non-traditional items for sports collectors to diversify their investments. We have more silver than ever in this auction as well, and a handful of comic book lots.

The sports models certainly have been great investments over the years, but it seems that now anything with the brand even the plainer watches are appreciating steadily. Whether they're worth it is, of course, the subject of endless (and useless lol) debate. In a way it's like the PSA 10, you're really paying for the brand name, not the watch per se, but I expect it will go on forever because the name is magical.