Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Goose Bump-Inducing Mail Day - Shoeless Joe Jackson On 100th Anniversary To the Day! (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=274737)

mouschi 10-15-2019 01:36 PM

Goose Bump-Inducing Mail Day - Shoeless Joe Jackson On 100th Anniversary To the Day!

EPIC Mailday! Earlier this year, I reached out to @Joshwesley who had this 1919 W514 Shoeless Joe Jackson. My offer was turned down because it wasn't for sale, but last week, he reached out saying he changed his mind!

This is where the goose bumps come in ... without knowing it, I purchased it on the 100 year anniversary TO THE DAY of the last game of the 1919 World Series! ������

Shoeless Joe had the best hitting stats of either team, hitting .375 the entire series, while hitting the only home run of the 1919 World Series in the last game.

Thank you Josh - I really appreciate your allowing me to add this piece that is reminiscent of a little Picasso to my collection!

http://mycollectionofcards.com/baseb...015_132407.jpg

h2oya311 10-15-2019 01:42 PM

AWESOME! Great story and congrats!

Snapolit1 10-15-2019 03:56 PM

I'm generally not a fan of that series, as some of the cards are cartoonish and ugggggly beyond belief, but that one is gorgeous.

mouschi 10-15-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h2oya311 (Post 1923794)
AWESOME! Great story and congrats!

Thank you very much!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 1923815)
I'm generally not a fan of that series, as some of the cards are cartoonish and ugggggly beyond belief, but that one is gorgeous.

Thanks! I agree 100% - I don't like too terribly many strip cards, but this one does it for me!

T_Hamilton 10-16-2019 09:02 AM

Love that you are getting into vintage Tanner... keep the cool cards coming!

mouschi 10-16-2019 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_Hamilton (Post 1923963)
Love that you are getting into vintage Tanner... keep the cool cards coming!

Having these types of cards is like owning baseball history. I am not sure how many more I am going to get, but it is definitely addicting! :)

DeanH3 10-17-2019 12:32 AM

That's a nice Jax there Tanner. I agree that in general that is not a very appealing set. However, the Joe Jax is a really nice looking card. One to be proud to own. Congrats!

Joshwesley 10-17-2019 08:34 PM

Tanner!
Glad you love it... it’s a beauty!
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Awesome meeting you

mouschi 10-17-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshwesley (Post 1924381)
Tanner!
Awesome meeting you

Thanks brother! Great meeting you!

brianp-beme 10-18-2019 01:15 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Nice Jackson...it is a steep hurdle when collecting a set. Thought I would point out that the W514 set has, in my opinion, a LOT of decent (for strip cards) images of players. Especially if you like red lips and forehead wrinkles/shadowing.

Brian

Gobucsmagic74 10-18-2019 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshwesley (Post 1924381)
Tanner!
Awesome meeting you

Josh,
Don’t forget to change your avatar. 😬

mouschi 10-18-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianp-beme (Post 1924559)
Nice Jackson...it is a steep hurdle when collecting a set. Thought I would point out that the W514 set has, in my opinion, a LOT of decent (for strip cards) images of players. Especially if you like red lips and forehead wrinkles/shadowing.

Brian

You know what - maybe it was another strip card set that I was thinking of, because I really like the colors on those. I was looking at a set that was FS earlier and enjoyed seeing them too. Love those mini picassos :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 (Post 1924563)
Josh,
Don’t forget to change your avatar. 😬

Haha, I was wondering if he would or not - I am fine either way personally, in fact, would find it flattering if he kept it on - my Canseco website is still up with all my cards so I can enjoy (mainly so others can use as a reference, but I do enjoy looking at them) though I don't have many of the cards anymore. Heck, I have the Glasscock in your avatar and while I know it isn't the same, it is fun seeing another card i own as someone else's avatar. I just adore that Goodwin card.

Leon 10-21-2019 05:05 PM

Late response but great looking card, congrats!
Quote:

Originally Posted by mouschi (Post 1923791)
EPIC Mailday! Earlier this year, I reached out to @Joshwesley who had this 1919 W514 Shoeless Joe Jackson. My offer was turned down because it wasn't for sale, but last week, he reached out saying he changed his mind!

This is where the goose bumps come in ... without knowing it, I purchased it on the 100 year anniversary TO THE DAY of the last game of the 1919 World Series! ������

Shoeless Joe had the best hitting stats of either team, hitting .375 the entire series, while hitting the only home run of the 1919 World Series in the last game.

Thank you Josh - I really appreciate your allowing me to add this piece that is reminiscent of a little Picasso to my collection!

http://mycollectionofcards.com/baseb...015_132407.jpg

Joshwesley 10-21-2019 08:33 PM

I’m holding onto the memories 🤪

Gotta find a worthy update!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouschi (Post 1924564)
You know what - maybe it was another strip card set that I was thinking of, because I really like the colors on those. I was looking at a set that was FS earlier and enjoyed seeing them too. Love those mini picassos :)

Haha, I was wondering if he would or not - I am fine either way personally, in fact, would find it flattering if he kept it on - my Canseco website is still up with all my cards so I can enjoy (mainly so others can use as a reference, but I do enjoy looking at them) though I don't have many of the cards anymore. Heck, I have the Glasscock in your avatar and while I know it isn't the same, it is fun seeing another card i own as someone else's avatar. I just adore that Goodwin card.

KMayUSA6060 10-22-2019 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouschi (Post 1923974)
Having these types of cards is like owning baseball history. I am not sure how many more I am going to get, but it is definitely addicting! :)

It's not like - it IS.

Excellent addition, and what a coinkydink. Congrats bud!

byrone 10-22-2019 09:11 AM

Interview from Canada's CBC about the Series

Baseball has had some dark times — institutionalized racism, steroids and season-ending labour disputes, to name a few. But the Black Sox Scandal has attained a mythic status of baseball's "darkest hour."

One hundred years ago this past week, eight Chicago White Sox, players took bribes from gamblers to fix the World Series. The heavily favoured White Sox lost the 1919 World Series to the Cincinnati Reds, the conspiracy was revealed, and the eight White Sox players — thereafter known as the Black Sox — were banished from baseball for life.

Popular culture has been very forgiving of the Black Sox, however.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayed...1919-1.5317754

mouschi 10-22-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leon (Post 1925321)
Late response but great looking card, congrats!

Thanks brother!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshwesley (Post 1925373)
I’m holding onto the memories 🤪

Gotta find a worthy update!

I'm glad to hear it! :) Many of my cards I've had in my past only exist as memories and pictures. I'm super thankful I have pics to relive them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMayUSA6060 (Post 1925428)
It's not like - it IS.

Excellent addition, and what a coinkydink. Congrats bud!

Very true! Thank you :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by byrone (Post 1925439)
Interview from Canada's CBC about the Series

Baseball has had some dark times — institutionalized racism, steroids and season-ending labour disputes, to name a few. But the Black Sox Scandal has attained a mythic status of baseball's "darkest hour."

One hundred years ago this past week, eight Chicago White Sox, players took bribes from gamblers to fix the World Series. The heavily favoured White Sox lost the 1919 World Series to the Cincinnati Reds, the conspiracy was revealed, and the eight White Sox players — thereafter known as the Black Sox — were banished from baseball for life.

Popular culture has been very forgiving of the Black Sox, however.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thesundayed...1919-1.5317754

Thank you for the link!

Jstottlemire1 10-22-2019 11:33 AM

Congratulations on the card. Great piece of history. Monster addition.