Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   T206 "printer's mark" and sheet layouts (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=158974)

t206hound 11-16-2012 09:06 PM

T206 "printer's mark" and sheet layouts

1 Attachment(s)
Just got this card in the mail today. I noticed the mark when I bid on the item (and full disclosure, I do plan on reselling it). The card measures about 1/32" wider than standard and the back is also mis-aligned (skewed right).

This mark appears to be a 'guide' line for cutting the sheet. The amount of space between the line and the back art is the exact width of a 'properly' centered and cut Piedmont.

Can we assume that Arndt was on the far right of the sheet in the layout? Does anyone else have examples of these lines?

Abravefan11 11-16-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206hound (Post 1053456)
Can we assume that Arndt was on the far right of the sheet in the layout?

Yes, IMO.

z28jd 11-16-2012 09:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Others. Piedmont with other stuff on the back is Bresnahan, batting. The other one I think is Oldring, fielding. Not 100% sure, sorry about the miscuts in the scan, it is the bottom right of the Sweet Caporal back

steve B 11-16-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t206hound (Post 1053456)
Can we assume that Arndt was on the far right of the sheet in the layout? Does anyone else have examples of these lines?

That would be the most likely thing. It's also probably likely that that card was the top right corner.

Steve B

Texxxx 11-16-2012 10:08 PM

May be top right not just right side.
Looks like we have a match set.

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...xx58/Arndt.jpg
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/...nterror003.jpg

Jantz 11-16-2012 11:10 PM

Hi Er!ck

I follow these crop lines on T206s closely. Arndt is one of the usual suspects when it comes to these crop lines.

There are a handful of other T206 player's cards that also occasionally display them too.

Some even jump to different backs. By that I mean, I own an Arndt with a Sovereign 350 back that has crop line.

So far I've seen these crop lines appear on the following backs.

Sweet Cap. 150
Sweet Cap. 350
Piedmont 150
Piedmont 350
Polar Bear
Sovereign 350

As far as individual players, I know of 15 different players in the set with crop lines.

Jantz

atx840 11-17-2012 02:30 AM

Nice card Erick, I was watching that one and missed sniping it. Great pickup sir.

mrvster 11-17-2012 05:27 AM

crops.....

:)hey guys as you know been chasing crops for years.....i own a few and they are cool novelties, johnnny d got me started on them when i missed his oldring;).....ive paid $20- $150.00 for some.....they are more prevalent on some players as jantz has mentioned...i own a sweet ass polar bear one i love, never seen another polar bear, or other back for that matter....id love to see a hindu or something with a crop:)....but only seen pieds and caps i guess since they were the most common/printed:confused:....theoretically all backs should have had them...steve:confused:

these are in the catagory/rarity of sheet numbers on sweet cap backs, altho the sheet numbers are a little tuf to come by:)...

the crops are traditionally found with the "L" shape right angle...prob corners of the sheets:confused:....i own a few that are just lines, either guide marks/crop marks to align sheets, or got chopped off themselves...

i love when the pressman misses the mark:) and creats the sought after miscut backs...:cool:

nonetheless, great thread, great little"gems" hidden in the set...i will try to find some of my scans, but im weak with that:o and not sure if i have any great scans...

ID love to see some MORE:D

Congrats on the card ERICK.....you are a true t206 "blood-hound";) and, btw, i'm sure tons on this board would agree, one of the finest t206/ collectors/guys we have....your friendship and help like a few others i know is priceless bro!:) thanx for all your help, your a true friend

peace

t206blogcom 11-17-2012 07:47 AM

Yes, I've seen a few of these crop marks. Since we're talking about Arndt, thought I'd show one I picked up recently from a fellow board member. In addition to the apparent missing color, there's a small green vertical printer's mark in the top left on the back.

http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/u...SING-COLOR.jpg

Jantz 11-17-2012 08:41 AM

Just for you Johnny!

mrvster 11-18-2012 02:49 PM

Jantz....

Those are beauties!!:)

rsst206 11-18-2012 04:32 PM

Demmit

2 Attachment(s)
You need to look beyond the paper pull :)

z28jd 11-18-2012 04:41 PM

Where can I send the $450 to pay for that Demmitt :)

Runscott 11-18-2012 05:35 PM

That's the third Demmitt/St. Louis we've seen with that mark.

atx840 11-18-2012 06:34 PM

I was thinking the same thing Scott, Wonka has the other one. Very interesting.

z28jd 11-18-2012 09:21 PM

Another Arndt with the crop mark just ended on ebay for a great price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-19...vip=true&rt=nc

teetwoohsix 11-19-2012 02:11 AM

Great cards and great information guys-thanks !!!

I also love these cards with the crop marks, or any oddities for that matter. I blame you for this Johnny :D:D;) (hope you are well, by the way).

Jantz- great info, thanks for posting-

Sincerely, Clayton

Exhibitman 11-19-2012 11:13 AM

Does anyone have an Arndt without the print mark??

z28jd 11-19-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 1054033)
Does anyone have an Arndt without the print mark??

I'm guessing someone had a bad day at the T206 office, failing out of cutting on the line 101. Unfortunately, I have one without the print mark and ebay has tons of them right now

z28jd 11-19-2012 12:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Assuming the cards with these marks were the top and bottom corner cards, does one assume that the cards with the sheet numbers were in the bottom middle? Or do you say pish posh, they could've been anywhere (the card is Durham in case anyone is tracking these too)

Jantz 11-20-2012 12:00 AM

z28jd Cards with sheet numbers could also be on the side of a sheet, not just the bottom middle.

Here are two T206s that I own. One has a crop line on the right side and the other has a sheet number on the right side.

Why these two cards interest me is because both have the same player (Rhoades-right arm extended) on the front. Of all the T206s I've seen with either a crop line or a sheet number, this is the only player I've been able to pair up.

Thank you for posting the Durham!

Jantz

z28jd 11-20-2012 12:29 AM

Thanks for posting the sheet number on the side, never saw or heard about one those before! It is interesting that you found a crop mark and a sheet number on the same subject too...

Runscott 11-20-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1054295)
z28jd Cards with sheet numbers could also be on the side of a sheet, not just the bottom middle.

Here are two T206s that I own. One has a crop line on the right side and the other has a sheet number on the right side.

Jantz

Jantz, that isn't a sheet number on the right side.

Jantz 11-20-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Runscott (Post 1054393)
Jantz, that isn't a sheet number on the right side.

Hi Scott

What is it then?

If it is not a sheet number then, is it some form of sheet alignment mark?

After reviewing some other examples, I can see now that maybe it might not be a sheet number since all the other T206s have the number on the botttom of the card.

Since all the examples I've seen have a Sweet Caporal 350 fact. 30 back, it just seemed obvious that it was a sheet number. Now you got me wondering.

Jantz

Runscott 11-20-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jantz (Post 1054404)
Hi Scott

What is it then?

If it is not a sheet number then, is it some form of sheet alignment mark?

After reviewing some other examples, I can see now that maybe it might not be a sheet number since all the other T206s have the number on the botttom of the card.

Since all the examples I've seen have a Sweet Caporal 350 fact. 30 back, it just seemed obvious that it was a sheet number. Now you got me wondering.

Jantz

I don't think the similar marks on the bottoms of cards are 'numbers' either. Some of them do look like the top of an '8' or '0', but, on the other hand, at least one I've seen has two such loops (as opposed to one), and we haven't seen any that resemble the top of any other number.

So...I don't know what they are. I would guess some sort of alignment thing.

z28jd 11-20-2012 11:21 AM

The bottom ones say 30(like the Durham), as in the factory I assume. The two loops are the top of the 3, top of the 0. I've seen one with a much bigger portion of the number where it is easier to tell

Runscott 11-20-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28jd (Post 1054440)
The bottom ones say 30(like the Durham), as in the factory I assume. The two loops are the top of the 3, top of the 0. I've seen one with a much bigger portion of the number where it is easier to tell

Okay, I'm with you. Thanks, and here's an example to go along with your explanation:

z28jd 11-20-2012 11:50 AM

Is that the Mathewson portrait? I believe someone here has/had that card with the sheet number

tedzan 11-20-2012 11:58 AM

It's the Factory #......I have seen other such numbers and they always coincide with the Factory # of the given T-brand.

These #'s most likely identify to the printer (at a quick glance) which specific back printing plate they have selected for a
given press run.

Recall, that the fronts have been pre-printed and the various T-brand backs are printed last.

TED Z

atx840 11-20-2012 12:32 PM

I have seen a factory 25 designation on the the bottom as well and a few with the side mark, which looks more like an alignment marking vs #.

tedzan 11-20-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1054463)
I have seen a factory 25 designation on the the bottom as well and a few with the side mark, which looks more like an alignment marking vs #.

Chris

I'm not sure I understand your...."vs #" ?

Perhaps, I should clarify my previous comment........
"It's the Factory #......I have seen other such numbers and they always coincide with the Factory # of the given T-brand.

These #'s most likely identify to the printer (at a quick glance) which specific back printing plate they have selected for a
given press run."

Yes I have seen the #25, also; and, the card it was printed on was a Sweet Cap, Factory #25. Has anyone seen a T206 with any other # which
does NOT coincide with the Factory # on that particular card ? I don't think so.

The lettering on the actual printer's plate(s) of these various Factory's found on American Beauty, Piedmont, and Sweet Cap backs is very tiny;
therefore, each plate identified the given Factory # on the printed sheet with these large numbers along the edge of the sheet. Which made it
easier for jobber at American Lithographic to cut, package, and ship the cards to the appropriate Tobacco Factory.

TED Z

z28jd 11-20-2012 01:42 PM

Sounds like he agreed with you/me/Scott, Ted. Then he gave his thought what the side mark meant.

atx840 11-20-2012 01:43 PM

Hey Ted, I agree 100% with your posts, it was more to Jantz regarding Scott's comment that the side mark does not appear to be a # but more of marking.

I have not seen a # on anything but SC and no 42 or 649s (not sure if would even exist). I have seen these factory #s on different examples of the same card.

t206blogcom 11-20-2012 08:07 PM

Odd mark

I've always thought this was a strange print mark - the 'J' above the 'T' in Piedmont. It's the same color ink as the rest of the back. I've posted it once before on Net54 and have never seen another like it. Figured I'd share again.

http://www.t206blog.com/wp-content/u...edmont-350.jpg

mrvster 11-20-2012 08:19 PM

crops/ sheet numbers....

Great input everyone...:)

I also have rhodes with the "marking" on the side...

The "30" are sheet numbers....there are a few rare examples out there that clearly show it is the top half of "30"(ther is a cobb red port with it clearly "30" visible)...

i have only seen them on sweet cap backs(sheet numbers)....

THE 25's ARE SUPER RARE.....

i would like one.....i have a few "30"s , but no "25" sheet numbers....ANYONE HAVE ONE FOR SALE??:confused:

sheet numbers are rare to aquire, but the 25's are the real rare ones....;)

Jantz 11-20-2012 09:11 PM

Maybe I was wrong

I think Scott may have hit on something and maybe it isn't a sheet number like the others.

One reason that I've thought about is that the Rhoades seems to appear more often then the examples with the numbers on the bottom.

Off the top of my head I can think of 5 Rhoades cards with the marks on the side. Johnny & I both own one, 707 Sportcards had one about 3 years ago and two more have sold on Ebay in the last few years.

So if I were to tally all the examples I've seen, Rhoades is out front of the others with a total of 5. Where as Johnson (Port) and Merkle (Port) are tied in second place with only 2 each.

Never seen a 25 sheet number yet, but sure would like to.

J@son I have seen stray lines like on your Ganzel before. Steve B. could probably explain why this occurs better than me. I will try to post up some scans tomorrow and show a few that I have.

Jantz

atx840 11-20-2012 10:10 PM

http://i.imgur.com/3q122.jpg

mrvster 11-21-2012 05:30 AM

Chris....

1 Attachment(s)
SWEET!!!!

sorry guys about the lack of scans for my cards/crops/sheets right now....i will try to post some over the tg holi....

i hope my merkle scan comes up....this is a sweet sheet #30" i own, and u can see the curl of the "3"....

FOR U JANTZ;)

mrvster 11-21-2012 05:32 AM

jason...

cool little ink blot!

ps

thanks again tray r for merkle:)

cfc1909 11-21-2012 06:25 AM

http://photos.imageevent.com/cfc1909...nfeldtporb.jpg

Runscott 11-21-2012 08:37 AM

I hate it when Chris shows pictures of his Johnson, and hate it even more when he shows pictures of mine!!!

Jantz - you give me too much credit. I'm sure we had discussed the number at the bottom of the sheet, but my memory is so bad that I had forgotten. Regarding the mark on the side of the Rhoads, I was completely unaware of such a thing.

Ted - why don't you teach me these things before I make a fool of myself?

Scott <=== heading over to T206Resource.Com to take "T206 101"

atx840 11-21-2012 08:51 AM

What can I say, I have a large Johnson.....scans folder :o

Runscott 11-21-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atx840 (Post 1054702)
What can I say, I have a large Johnson.....scans folder :o

Thanks, now I can never run for public office.

Pat R 11-16-2014 11:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have this scan of a Speaker PD 350 with a big crop mark in the top left
and Pete has a nice Speaker PD 350 listed on the BST with a big crop mark
on the upper left side pretty good evidence that Speaker was in the upper
right corner on the Piedmont 350 sheets.

Jantz 11-16-2014 11:44 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat R (Post 1344965)
I have this scan of a Speaker PD 350 with a big crop mark in the top left
and Pete has a nice Speaker PD 350 listed on the BST with a big crop mark
on the upper left side pretty good evidence that Speaker was in the upper
right corner on the Piedmont 350 sheets.

Hi Pat

Good to see you posting again. :)

I hate to throw a monkey wrench into the Speaker topic, but here is a Speaker with a crop line in the upper right corner.

Jantz

Pat R 11-16-2014 12:21 PM

Hi Jantz,

No problem that's good info to have it shows that more than likely speaker was on more than one piedmont 350 sheet or in two different positions on the same sheet. That's what makes trying to figure these sheets out
so complicated ( and a little fun in a challenging way). As we all keep
finding and sharing information we are getting closer on some of these sheets.

I didn't forget I promised you a PB list, as soon as I get it together I will send
it to you.

Patrick

Jantz 11-16-2014 12:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Possibly Speaker in the corner(s) and McGinley underneath him in one or both columns.

z28jd 11-16-2014 12:52 PM

Nice shares. Never saw a crop mark on a Speaker. Got a new target to add

Pat R 11-28-2014 01:45 PM

Turner corner crop

2 Attachment(s)
Not sure if the guy's that keep track of these have seen this one but I didn't
have it on my list.

z28jd 11-28-2014 04:32 PM

Never saw it. Nice catch there and I assume you picked it up?