Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   REA Results (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=276742)

paul 12-08-2019 10:05 PM

REA Results

3 Attachment(s)
How'd you do?

I was very happy to pick up these three rarities.

Brian Van Horn 12-08-2019 10:09 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Paul,

Congrats on the pickups, particularly the Hartnett. I got the counterpart in Hack (sic as Hoch):

LEHR 12-08-2019 10:14 PM

I won the one item I wanted the most, the 1909 Pittsburgh Pirates National League Champions pocket mirror.:D

I was going back and forth with someone for the N173 Elmer Foster when the auction closed, but I was the underbidder unfortunately.

doug.goodman 12-08-2019 10:19 PM

Quite happy to win the supplements that I was bidding on. I'll probably put some duplicates on the BST after the holidays.

Doug

Peter_Spaeth 12-08-2019 10:25 PM

Back to my norm of getting outbid by someone willing to pay a world record price.:cool:

edjs 12-08-2019 10:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got these. The Rapps will go great with my orange type 2. The others, while great, will be on the b/s/t.

chlankf 12-08-2019 10:39 PM

So thrilled to add Lot # 146: 1888 Des Moines Team Cabinet to my collection.

oldjudge 12-08-2019 10:46 PM

Nice job Craig. I used to own that one.

slightlyrounded 12-09-2019 12:15 AM

Congrats to all. Your wins are making my $120k banana-taped-to-a-wall purchase seem like a bad idea in retrospect.

Bicem 12-09-2019 12:24 AM

Ha! Nice.

Vintagecatcher 12-09-2019 01:19 AM

My first REA win ever: Art Wilson, E125 American Caramel Diecut

1 Attachment(s)
With my first REA win ever: Art Wilson, E125 American Caramel Diecut, I now have 3 of the 4 catchers in the E125 set!

Patrick

phikappapsi 12-09-2019 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1937301)
Back to my norm of getting outbid by someone willing to pay a world record price.:cool:

This. I went to bed around 10 with pretty aggressive max bids in, winning 6 lots, wasn't willing to go higher than history... woke up this morning, won zero. Oh well

Snapolit1 12-09-2019 05:24 AM

Same. On to the next one.

Rhotchkiss 12-09-2019 05:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The card pictured below received the 7th most bids of all lots in the auction. Is this a major non-sport set, or a particularly tough card, or a pure registry play (in which non-sports is ripe for, if not already riddled with, card doctors), or what? I love that a non-sports card got this many bids in REA - what’s good for cards generally is good for baseball cards - but still a head scratcher.

Regarding pick ups, I finally did well in an REA auction under the new, all lots close at once, format. I picked up 6 cards: e92 Wagner, e103 Wagner, e104-2 wagner, t216 Cobb, t206 Merkle Brown lenox, and 1914 CJ Plank. I thought it was a very even auction, with some cards going for surprisingly high prices (other than my Merkle brown Lenox, which I paid out the ass for, I will not name which ones for risk of retribution), and some definite deals.

Based on Heritage, where I struck out aside from a great looking t215-1 Tinker, and last night, I would say the “hobby” is alive and well. The economy is good. Interested to see how things in pwcc turn out — I am still not bidding in a wallet protest.

1952boyntoncollector 12-09-2019 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1937323)
The card pictures below received the 7th most bids of all lots in the auction. Is this a major non-sport set, or a particularly tough card, or a pure registry play (in which non-sports is ripe for, if not already riddled with, card doctors), or what? I love that a non-sports card got this many bids in REA - what’s good for cards generally is good for baseball cards - but still a head scratcher.

Regarding pick ups, I finally did well in an REA auction under the new, all lots close at once, format. I picked up 6 cards: e92 Wagner, e103 Wagner, e104-2 wagner, t216 Cobb, t206 Merkle Brown lenox, and 1914 CJ Plank. I thought it was a very even auction, with some cards going for surprisingly high prices (other than my Merkle brown Lenox, which I paid out the ass for, I will not name which ones for risk of retribution), and some definite deals.

Based on Heritage, where I struck out aside from a great looking t215-1 Tinker, and last night, I would say the “hobby” is alive and well. The economy is good. Interested to see how things in pwcc turn out — I am still not bidding in a wallet protest.

so the hobby has not been rocked when it comes to money. which i think is the biggest factor..yeah integrity is important etc..but money is the ultimate king in my book and at least thus far, i dont see anything rocking except some people's point of view..

yanksfan09 12-09-2019 05:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was surprised and thrilled to win this where I got it.

bbeck 12-09-2019 05:58 AM

Lot 1490 was described with a possible slight trim to the bottom edge and indentations. It still went for $5,500 plus. That number is $1,000 more than 2 PSA 8 Mantle's have finished on eBay in the last couple months. I guess even with all that has transpired over the past months, it truly proves that people just don't care as long as it is in the holder. Even when it is pointed out in black and white. Insane. I went to REA's office and black lighted every card I was interested in and also asked the head grader his opinion. I ended up with the Delong 2.5 Gehrig.

obcmac 12-09-2019 06:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My two big wins...set killer Lewis and my first Gypsy Queen

sb1 12-09-2019 06:38 AM

REA lot 628

If anyone here won lot 628 the Sporting Life envelopes, I would be a buyer on the Philadelphia No. 50. Will pay outright or have dupes of other series to trade.

robkas68 12-09-2019 06:40 AM

Rea

Got one of the pictures of Abner Doubleday...he invented baseball you know...well sort of...ok, not really...but he was in the Civil War, and he probably won it all by himself.

MVSNYC 12-09-2019 06:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Great stuff everyone!

I was thrilled to get back a very sentimental piece in REA.

As some of you may remember, I had a T206 Nodgrass variation in the 90's. I submitted it to PSA, it was the first one they ever graded. I later sold it in Lelands circa 2000. It's been floating around/MIA for 2 decades. Well, I was delighted to see it last night, and I won it back for a fraction of what I sold it for. Has a lot of sentimental value to me (acquired when my dad & I collected together). Here's the old (fuzzy scan, with extra marks on case, not card) with the new scan. You can see the cert # is the same, as well as the imperfections.

PS- Doesn't PSA put variation notes on the flip anymore? I want to add that back.

scooter729 12-09-2019 07:19 AM

2 Attachment(s)
My only pickups were two Red Sox E125's - Harry Hooper and Harry Niles.

I thought the prices on these were very reasonable, and much lower than E125 prices in the past. Would've liked to have bought a few more, but other recent purchases kept me somewhat on the sidelines for this weekend's big auctions...

scooter729 12-09-2019 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1937325)

That Plank is very nice, and I think you got it very reasonably as well!

Between all of the E107's at Heritage and REA this weekend, the prices on some of them were WAY below where they have been of late. SGC 30s could be had for $400, which I feel like was a price only before seen for cards practically chopped in half.

I was able to pick up one E107 common at a cheap price, but I'm guessing the lower prices might be an anomaly as a result of a bunch of cards on the auction block at the same time.

Any other thoughts on the E107s sold this weekend?

chlankf 12-09-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldjudge (Post 1937307)
Nice job Craig. I used to own that one.

I thought you did. If my memory is correct you had two DM cabinets. Do you still have the other one?

obcmac 12-09-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter729 (Post 1937344)
That Plank is very nice, and I think you got it very reasonably as well!

Between all of the E107's at Heritage and REA this weekend, the prices on some of them were WAY below where they have been of late. SGC 30s could be had for $400, which I feel like was a price only before seen for cards practically chopped in half.

I was able to pick up one E107 common at a cheap price, but I'm guessing the lower prices might be an anomaly as a result of a bunch of cards on the auction block at the same time.

Any other thoughts on the E107s sold this weekend?

I only casually follow E107's...but I picked up a few this past weekend as the prices seemed great. Fewer E107 collectors these days?

cracker_jack 12-09-2019 08:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Couldn't agree more on the E125 prices. I picked up the Adams and Clarke at half what they went for recently. Had no expectation on winning the Wagner as well.

dstudeba 12-09-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edjs (Post 1937304)
Got these. The Rapps will go great with my orange type 2. The others, while great, will be on the b/s/t.

Good work Ed, you sniped me well. By the time I confirmed my bid the auction had closed. I came on to see if the person who won that lot might be breaking it up. Unfortunately you are keeping the wrong card.

ramram 12-09-2019 09:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I get to add this piece to my Kansas City collection. I went back and forth with one other bidder and put in one last bid and went to bed. Was surprised to still be the high bidder when I got up. It's certainly an important piece to KC baseball. Also a nice bit of information on the back. Jay, it found a good home.

Rob M
Attachment 377027

Attachment 377028

Fred 12-09-2019 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher (Post 1937315)
With my first REA win ever: Art Wilson, E125 American Caramel Diecut, I now have 3 of the 4 catchers in the E125 set!

Patrick

I bet you're happy that Wagner wasn't a catcher....:p

edjs 12-09-2019 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dstudeba (Post 1937367)
Good work Ed, you sniped me well. By the time I confirmed my bid the auction had closed. I came on to see if the person who won that lot might be breaking it up. Unfortunately you are keeping the wrong card.

Ah, that was fun, wasn’t it? I was on pins and needles hoping to get it. I felt the Rapps alone was worth close to what the hammer was. I don’t have many E100s anymore, but I kept my Rapps type 1 and 2 (orange) for my type collection. The green type 2 just closes that part of my collection. Sorry it was you on the other end. Good news is I won’t be bidding against you if another type 2 comes out (maybe). :D

chlankf 12-09-2019 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ramram (Post 1937376)
I get to add this piece to my Kansas City collection. I went back and forth with one other bidder and put in one last bid and went to bed. Was surprised to still be the high bidder when I got up. It's certainly an important piece to KC baseball. Also a nice bit of information on the back. Jay, it found a good home.

Rob M

Attachment 376028

Attachment 376029

Great pick up and coming home to the right collection.

Craig

ramram 12-09-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chlankf (Post 1937386)
Great pick up and coming home to the right collection.

Craig

Thanks Craig. Been a while. Hope all is well with the Iowa collecting.

Rob M

Fred 12-09-2019 10:30 AM

Lot 146 - The Des Moines Team Cabinet is really cool. I should have went after that one. Who ever got it picked it up for a really good price. Four of the players on the cabinet are also the four players that represent Toledo in the N172 team set. Plus, that picture of the stands at the bottom just makes it a really neat cabinet. Congratulations to the person that picked up that nugget.

RedsFan1941 12-09-2019 10:36 AM

RedsFan1941 12-09-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Regarding pick ups, I finally did well in an REA auction under the new, all lots close at once, format.

there has never been an REA auction in which all the lots did not close at once.

RCMcKenzie 12-09-2019 10:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
It's a new format. It's a hard close at midnight, like an eBay auction. Snipe-fest. They should look at the Bagger's model... Grabbed this one. Nice pick-ups, y'all.

RedsFan1941 12-09-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCMcKenzie (Post 1937414)
It's a new format. It's a hard close at midnight, like an eBay auction. Snipe-fest. They should look at the Bagger's model... Grabbed this one. Nice pick-ups, y'all.

that’s not what the post said. rea auctions have always closed all the lots at once. the hard close is hardly new. i think this was the third or fourth REA auction that used it. not a big deal, especially in a hobby where facts often are considered irrelevant.

RCMcKenzie 12-09-2019 11:13 AM

Ronnie, I used to wake up a 4 AM and sit around wondering when it might close...4:15, 4:36, 5:17...you cannot snipe, if you don't know what time it closes. I knew it was closing at exactly midnight Eastern, like an eBay auction.

If you bid within the last 5 minutes in Bagger's, the other person has 5 minutes to respond. I'm just giving my 2 cents on how I would do it. They can do it however they want...Rob

shagrotn77 12-09-2019 11:28 AM

I won this Stan Mikita pre-rookie. Pretty cool. I didn't even know this card existed until I saw it in the auction.

https://createauctioncdn.azureedge.n...8_1_136302.jpg

CuriousGeorge 12-09-2019 12:16 PM

In my opinion it is an extremely poor way for an auction to end. With Heritage ending Thursday night, Lelands Friday, and Goldin Saturday, and all having lot by lot closings, you at least have time to decide whether you want to pay more so the guy willing to pay the most gets the item. For me, REA is more of a crapshoot because you can easily get sniped at the end. In last night’s case I wanted one very expensive item pretty badly so I concentrated on that rather than also trying for the other lots I wanted. I ended up getting it but if it was a lot by lot closing I would have likely won more. And the answer of just putting in my highest ceiling bid on each lot doesn’t really work for me because I can change my mind from minute to minute. I know there’s an argument that this way is better but I don’t understand how any closing method which doesn’t get the highest prices is in any way good for the consignor, let alone the bidders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedsFan1941 (Post 1937416)
that’s not what the post said. rea auctions have always closed all the lots at once. the hard close is hardly new. i think this was the third or fourth REA auction that used it. not a big deal, especially in a hobby where facts often are considered irrelevant.

hcv123 12-09-2019 12:24 PM

Hi Ryan!

Quote:

The card pictured below received the 7th most bids of all lots in the auction. Is this a major non-sport set, or a particularly tough card, or a pure registry play (in which non-sports is ripe for, if not already riddled with, card doctors), or what? I love that a non-sports card got this many bids in REA - what’s good for cards generally is good for baseball cards - but still a head scratcher.

The 1967 Star Trek set is for sure one of the most collected non sports sets of the 1960's. Add that to the low pop and set registry and you get a lot of action. There were a number of cards from the set in REA that did very well with strong bidding.
Congrats on your pickups! Nice haul.

Howard

PS. I won some great 1962 Bazooka complete boxes! Nothing prewar in this one for me :-(

triwak 12-09-2019 12:36 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Got into a bidding war with someone who obviously wanted this as badly as myself. Glad he (or she) finally went to bed!! Three HOFers (Rube Foster, Pete Hill, & Louis Santop (the guy I REALLY needed)).

Bicem 12-09-2019 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge (Post 1937440)
In my opinion it is an extremely poor way for an auction to end. With Heritage ending Thursday night, Lelands Friday, and Goldin Saturday, and all having lot by lot closings, you at least have time to decide whether you want to pay more so the guy willing to pay the most gets the item. For me, REA is more of a crapshoot because you can easily get sniped at the end. In last night’s case I wanted one very expensive item pretty badly so I concentrated on that rather than also trying for the other lots I wanted. I ended up getting it but if it was a lot by lot closing I would have likely won more. And the answer of just putting in my highest ceiling bid on each lot doesn’t really work for me because I can change my mind from minute to minute. I know there’s an argument that this way is better but I don’t understand how any closing method which doesn’t get the highest prices is in any way good for the consignor, let alone the bidders.

What did you win?

Outstanding postcard Ken!

Rhotchkiss 12-09-2019 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcv123 (Post 1937443)
The 1967 Star Trek set is for sure one of the most collected non sports sets of the 1960's. Add that to the low pop and set registry and you get a lot of action. There were a number of cards from the set in REA that did very well with strong bidding.
Congrats on your pickups! Nice haul.

Howard

PS. I won some great 1962 Bazooka complete boxes! Nothing prewar in this one for me :-(

Thanks Howard! I did not know. Makes sense though. Congrats on the pickups and great meeting you in Philly on Saturday.

pokerplyr80 12-09-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yanksfan09 (Post 1937325)

I saw that one too and thought about making a run. It seemed low to me as well. But I decided to run some other cards up instead that I ended up missing out on. Congrats on the nice pickup.

triwak 12-09-2019 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bicem (Post 1937454)
What did you win?

Outstanding postcard Ken!

Thank you, Jeff!

ramram 12-09-2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triwak (Post 1937446)
Got into a bidding war with someone who obviously wanted this as badly as myself. Glad he (or she) finally went to bed!! Three HOFers (Rube Foster, Pete Hill, & Louis Santop (the guy I REALLY needed)).

Nice Alemendares and American Giants pick ups Ken.

Rob M

wondo 12-09-2019 01:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few T207s!!

1952boyntoncollector 12-09-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1937335)
Great stuff everyone!

As some of you may remember, I had a T206 Nodgrass variation in the 90's. I submitted it to PSA, it was the first one they ever graded. I later sold it in Lelands circa 2000. It's been floating around/MIA for 2 decades. Well, I was delighted to see it last night, and I won it back for a fraction of what I sold it for. Has a lot of sentimental value to me (acquired when my dad & I collected together). Here's the old (fuzzy scan, with extra marks on case, not card) with the new scan. You can see the cert # is the same, as well as the imperfections.

PS- Doesn't PSA put variation notes on the flip anymore? I want to add that back.

Your situation is the best situation for someone who isnt leaving the hobby

who wouldnt want to sell all their cards...buy them all back years later for a fraction of the price.....i would sign up for that any day of the week

Scott L. 12-09-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MVSNYC (Post 1937335)
Great stuff everyone!

That's an awesome story...........Congrats Michael!