Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Your Opinion on this Babe Ruth Ball up for Auction (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=235443)

Philadelphia Shamrocks 02-15-2017 05:25 PM

Your Opinion on this Babe Ruth Ball up for Auction

4 Attachment(s)
This is my first post to the Net 54 forum...glad to be a new member. I would appreciate anyone's opinion on this interesting Ruth ball up for auction. The most recent bid is at $7500.00
Includes autographs from Teddy Ballgame and Rabbit Marinville. Looks like it's from an All Star game or exhibition game. Assuming that Ruth was retired when he signed a ball with Ted Williams. I assume a Babe Ruth signature during his playing career is more desirable to collectors, than a ball signed after he retired.
There is a PSA certificate linked to the PSA website.
Any thoughts on a realistic ceiling price for this ball. Any and all opinions are appreciated.
Thanks!

David Atkatz 02-15-2017 06:24 PM

I see Dom DiMaggio, too. While it's a nice Ruth signature, it's not a very desirable ball. The signatures are unrelated, and it's not an OAL ball.
I'd save my money.

Bpm0014 02-16-2017 07:57 AM

Beautiful bold authentic Ruth signature. However....the additional signatures, including Ted Williams, kind of detract from that. It's probably a $5,000-$11,000 ball.

btcarfagno 02-16-2017 08:06 AM

I agree. At the current price it is no bargain. It's not a bad price either don't get me wrong. But even with a bold Ruth like that I don't see this being any more than a $8,000 ball tops.

Tom C

Mark 02-16-2017 09:35 AM

Welcome to the gang!

Coralfarmer84 02-16-2017 10:34 AM

Just my opinion but I think if you really like it and the price seems reasonable to you then go for it. Its got great eye appeal and will display nicely. I think the price is about on point with what your going to find in similiar condition all things considered.

perezfan 02-16-2017 01:41 PM

Agree it's a nice ball. While the signatures might not be related, they are nice and clean and in bold uniform ink. No overlap either... very well executed. It just comes down to personal preference.

Really attractive, and a very early Teddy Ballgame auto, in addition to the Babe. As long as the price stays somewhat close to its current level, I think you're in pretty good shape.

yanksfan09 02-19-2017 12:24 PM

Agree it comes down to personal preference. It may be unrelated but still pretty cool having those 2 players on the same ball! Doubt there's many of those floating around and some would argue they may be top 2 all time hitters!

chaddurbin 02-19-2017 01:17 PM

the majority prefer single-signed, but i'd like to think of it as getting 2 additional valuable sigs at a discount! my personal taste has never aligned with the popular preference of the hobby, maybe that's why when i go to sell something i'm happy that i break even...whether it's cards or autographs.

Philadelphia Shamrocks 03-01-2017 03:26 PM

Thanks to everyone for your feedback on this Babe Ruth auction ball

I appreciate all of the feedback I received about this interesting, multi-signed Babe Ruth ball, that was featured in the Goldin auction two weeks ago. It was originally listed with a private reserve Of 10K; the last bid I saw was for 11K, and it ended up selling for $13,475 including premium. I really liked this ball, even with its flaws and the glossy finish. I was prepared to bid for it around 10K, but I suppose I hesitated when it went up from there. It would have been my first Ruth item, and I suppose it was a good learning experience for me. Thanks again for sharing all of your opinions with me, it was very helpful. Glad to be a member of Net54baseball.