Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980) (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Question about getting 1956 Mantle Re-Holdered with new PSA Label (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=264248)

NYYFan63 01-06-2019 06:45 PM

Question about getting 1956 Mantle Re-Holdered with new PSA Label

Has anyone sent in to PSA any older PSA labeled cards to get the new label and holder? I am thinking on sending in my 56 Topps Mantle PSA 4.5.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swarmee 01-06-2019 06:54 PM

I have not had any reholdered yet, but what is your question? It would cost you about $25 or so including the return shipping. Personally, I would just wait until I had a stack to send before reholdering just one.

NYYFan63 01-06-2019 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1843140)
I have not had any reholdered yet, but what is your question? It would cost you about $25 or so including the return shipping. Personally, I would just wait until I had a stack to send before reholdering just one.

Thanks - Good point. It seems as though the vintage cards with the new PSA labels are getting higher prices than the older labels. I thought I heard PSA current grading standards are tougher now compared to the past.

swarmee 01-06-2019 07:48 PM

But if you're just talking reholder, they don't regrade the card unless there is an egregious error (determine it's trimmed/counterfeit/way overgraded). You didn't mention you were considering selling, and most buyers know the new Cert #s that equate to the Lighthouse flips. So if you've got an old cert number, they'll know it was graded years ago.

NYYFan63 01-07-2019 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1843154)
But if you're just talking reholder, they don't regrade the card unless there is an egregious error (determine it's trimmed/counterfeit/way overgraded). You didn't mention you were considering selling, and most buyers know the new Cert #s that equate to the Lighthouse flips. So if you've got an old cert number, they'll know it was graded years ago.

Thanks for clearing that up swarmee. I thought they would put a new label / regrade. I’m not considering selling at the time, but may consider in the future.

Thanks again.

swarmee 01-07-2019 06:42 PM

A "review" submission is where you send a PSA graded card to try and get a higher grade. Normally they only reholder if it attains the higher grade, but you can sticky note it asking for a new holder anyways. PSA may or may not reholder it if it doesn't improve.
A "crossover" submission is when you send a card from a different grading company.

JollyElm 01-07-2019 07:09 PM

Something else to keep in mind, if you're not planning to sell the card then there really isn't a reason to re-holder it (of course, that's your decision alone to make). But if your thoughts are about the slab itself, and how older ones may indicate to collectors that the card wouldn't live up to the number it received were it graded today, you have to wonder when will PSA decide to introduce yet another brand new holder design? If that happens, then you would have to get it regraded once again...and on and on it will go.

Empty77 01-07-2019 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarmee (Post 1843440)
A "review" submission is where you send a PSA graded card to try and get a higher grade. Normally they only reholder if it attains the higher grade, but you can sticky note it asking for a new holder anyways. PSA may or may not reholder it if it doesn't improve.
A "crossover" submission is when you send a card from a different grading company.

Not the OP, but just butting in here for my own edification (and any others wondering):

If something were submitted for formal review, and if item were determined to warrant a different grade, do they retire the existing cert# and issue a new one (which would bolster the reason for doing it, if one presumes that modern cert #'s are preferable due to presumed stricter modern grading),

or, do they keep the existing cert and just update the pop report database to reflect the change (in which case there is virtually no reason to re-holder or review, unless it was just desirable to get any enhanced security features of the newest slabs---since new buyer wouldn't know that it had been formally "reviewed" [w/ modern standards] vs. simply paid for a plain 'ol reholder)?

Promethius88 01-08-2019 02:08 AM

I posted a question in the CU forums sort of along these lines earlier tonight...crickets.

"Since I don't get much sleep at night, there always seem to be odd things going thru my head. I have never submitted a card for review so looking for some input here.
Now, others may disagree, but from what I can seen, the grading has changed a bit over the years. I'm going to use 1971 Topps and 1962 Topps baseball as my examples. It appears a card that was graded say 10 years ago or more that received an 8 probably wouldn't garner such a grade by today's grading standards from these two sets. Now, that's not saying ALL cards were graded higher and not deserving, but appears quite a few. So, what is the likely outcome if I submit two cards from the two separate grading eras for review, both in 8 holders when one looks significantly nicer than the other. Does the old get knocked down, the newer card bumped up or both stay in the same holder?
Just looking for opinions, input, experiences, etc. There is no wrong answer!!"

swarmee 01-08-2019 04:32 AM

PSA slabbed cards sent in for review would keep their same cert #. To get a new cert number, you'd have to crack it from the case and submit raw.

When you send in a review submission, you also type/write in the minimum grade you'd accept on the review, so if it is currently an 8, you could request a minimum grade of 8.5. If it gets the 8.5, they crack it and reslab it with the same cert number. If it would get a 7 now, it comes back to you in the original PSA 8 slab. Grading fee is still charged, since they have re-evaluated the card.

Each card is supposed to be reviewed independently, so just sending in two cards for review hoping that an overgraded dog makes the other one look better seems like a waste of time.