Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What's the best Baseball Book Fiction and Non you have read? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=191322)

clydepepper 07-24-2014 01:48 PM

What's the best Baseball Book Fiction and Non you have read?

I am currently being very disappointed by 'Wicked Curve' - bio of Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Best Non-Fiction: The Glory of Their Times

Best Fiction: The Curious Case of Sidd Finch

Peter_Spaeth 07-24-2014 01:59 PM

The Celebrant is really good -- about Mathewson but fiction.

gracecollector 07-24-2014 02:12 PM

Fiction: The Art of Fielding, by Chad Harbach

Non-Fiction: Since Glory of Their Times was already nominated, I'll go with The Boys of Summer by Roger Kahn

Best Illustrated Book: We Are the Ship: The Story of Negro League Baseball by Kadir Nelson (my god this book is gorgeous to look at!)

ALR-bishop 07-24-2014 02:17 PM

BLockade Billy

....even comes with a baseball card

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/...539/img140.jpg

King, a huge Red Sox fan, also has a book on the 2004 Red Sox Season, Faithful. As a Cardinal's fan I can not bring myself to read that.

One of his other books, not really a sports book, is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon

Paul S 07-24-2014 02:33 PM

Fiction -- try The Dixie Association, by Donald Hays.

Howe’s Hunter 07-24-2014 02:36 PM

Catcher in the Wry

Uecker at his best.

Bicem 07-24-2014 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1301602)

Best Non-Fiction: The Glory of Their Times

Should be required reading for dead-ball era collectors.

Probably my favorite book of any genre.

slipk1068 07-24-2014 02:39 PM

The Fireside Book of Baseball. Any volume is awesome.

ErikV 07-24-2014 02:49 PM

Re: What's the best Baseball Book Fiction and Non you have read?

1 Attachment(s)
My favorite book was "Luckiest Man" by Jonathan Eig.
Amazing story of a true American hero, and it was wonderfully written.
Really is a must read for any Gehrig fan, or baseball fan for that matter.

http://www.amazon.com/Luckiest-Man-L...rds=lou+Gehrig

Den*nis O*Brien 07-24-2014 02:55 PM

Calico Joe And A Minor Leaguer

Calico Joe, by John Grisham, is fiction revolving around a baseball incident. Grisham also wrote a non fiction book, The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice In A Small Town, about a minor league player, in the Yankees system, that wound up on Oklahoma's death row.

Andy Baran 07-24-2014 03:00 PM

My Favorite Fiction Novel

If I Never Get Back by Darrell Brock

jerseygary 07-24-2014 03:02 PM

I have hundreds of baseball books in my library and have read thousands more, but if I had to absolutely pick one of each, this would be them...

Best Non-Fiction:
Outsider Baseball by Scott Simkus
As far as I'm concerned the greatest book written about non-MLB baseball and the most important non-fiction baseball book of the past 10 years. Besides being crammed with original research the author is funny as hell and his writing is a joy to read.

Best Fiction: The Natural by Bernard Malamud
I'd seen the movie a dozen times but man oh man, the original book ain't nothing like the movie! If the script writers followed the storyline of the book there's no way it would have been made let alone have Robert Redford star in it.

Bored5000 07-24-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1301602)
I am currently being very disappointed by 'Wicked Curve' - bio of Grover Cleveland Alexander.

Really? Not liking "Wicked Curve?" I am a lifelong Phillies fan, so I enjoyed the information on the 1915 pennant winning team and some of the details on obscure players from that team. Perhaps the book does rely too heavily on game-by-game overviews, but I found the section of the book on Alexander's post-baseball life fascinating. :)

Milton 07-24-2014 03:11 PM

'The Bad Guys Won' is a great book about the NY Mets 1986 season. Lots of great stories in there

TNP777 07-24-2014 03:48 PM

I can't think of too many fictional baseball books I've read. Guess I'll have to go with Calico Joe, too.

The Boys of Summer is my choice for non-fiction. The Catcher Was a Spy is up there, too.

Eric72 07-24-2014 04:03 PM

For Deadball Era fans who have not yet read it, I recommend Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy. It's an enjoyable trip through the 1908 season.

clydepepper 07-24-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1301645)
Really? Not liking "Wicked Curve?" I am a lifelong Phillies fan, so I enjoyed the information on the 1915 pennant winning team and some of the details on obscure players from that team. Perhaps the book does rely too heavily on game-by-game overviews, but I found the section of the book on Alexander's post-baseball life fascinating. :)

I'm on page 46 and have already been told that he wore his uniform loose and his cap tight three times. ..but I am looking forward to the post-baseball period.

I do tend to give up on supposedly factual bios once I find the first big error - like the Rube Waddell biography, when, in the preface, I was informed that Radbourn won 60 games in 1870??

clydepepper 07-24-2014 04:09 PM

...a close second place in the non-fiction is Robert W. Creamer's Babe- The Legend Comes to Life.

I believe this is the definitive bio of Ruth and with such a bold subject, the best sports biography I have read.

TUM301 07-24-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 1301666)
For Deadball Era fans who have not yet read it, I recommend Crazy '08 by Cait Murphy. It's an enjoyable trip through the 1908 season.

You are spot on here, just finished it last week. It was like experiencing the whole season with the added bonus of reliving the players ` lives we talk about daily on the net 54. THUMBS UP !

toppcat 07-24-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1301605)
The Celebrant is really good -- about Mathewson but fiction.

Yes, that was a good one and probably my fiction choice as well. Boys of Summer for Non Fiction, hands down.

JimStinson 07-24-2014 04:49 PM

JimStinson

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseygary (Post 1301641)
I have hundreds of baseball books in my library and have read thousands more, but if I had to absolutely pick one of each, this would be them...

Best Non-Fiction:
Outsider Baseball by Scott Simkus
As far as I'm concerned the greatest book written about non-MLB baseball and the most important non-fiction baseball book of the past 10 years. Besides being crammed with original research the author is funny as hell and his writing is a joy to read.

I'd seen the movie a dozen times but man oh man, the original book ain't nothing like the movie! If the script writers followed the storyline of the book there's no way it would have been made let alone have Robert Redford star in it.

Non Fiction "The Glory of their Times" ..Larry Ritter , I knew him personally and he was so modest about the book , Also what I thought was amazing is that he did an equal split on royalties and many family members received checks from Larry Long after the player had died.

Fiction : Still have not found a good one yet , but agree with this post the book "The NATURAL" was AWFUL ! Movie FAR better than the book

Vintage autographs for Sale Daily
stinsonsports.com

frankbmd 07-24-2014 06:12 PM

The Universal Baseball Association, Inc., J. Henry Waugh, Proprietor

By Coover

Wite3 07-24-2014 06:18 PM

Fiction is "The Celebrant"...wonderful book.

Non-Fiction: "Teammates" by Halberstamm is a great look at Williams, D. Dimaggio, Pesky, and Doerr.

Honorary mention: The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book.

Joshua

Nashvol 07-24-2014 06:41 PM

Non-fiction: "The Glory of Their Times" by Lawrence Ritter (hands down IMHO) followed by "Branch Rickey" by Lee Lowenfish.

Just finished "Baseball's Natural, The Story of Eddie Waitkus" by John Theodore this morning. Great background for "The Natural" by Bernard Malamud.

Fiction: "Angels at Rickwood" by Chuck Stewart (Shameless plug: I know the author; but it really is a great book to share with your kids)

clydepepper 07-24-2014 06:55 PM

The bad thing about starting this thread...

...is that I am picking up tips on more books I should own.

At my age, I am supposed to be decreasing my library.

GregMitch34 07-24-2014 07:09 PM

"Joy in Mudville" by some hack named Greg Mitchell.

MooseDog 07-24-2014 07:32 PM

Non Fiction - The Glory of Their Times and Boys of Summer are head and shoulders above.

Fiction - I'm not much of a fiction reader but I did enjoy The Art of Fielding.

mattsey9 07-24-2014 07:44 PM

Non-Fiction: John Helyar's Lords of the Realm is one I keep turning back to. Keith Hernandez has a book that I can't remember the title of that documents his thought processes for one MLB game. Great stuff.

Rob Ruck's Raceball and anything by Adrian Burgos also fit the bill for the historian in me.

Jerry G 07-24-2014 08:04 PM

Fiction: Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella (Loved the movie, Field of Dreams, but the book is even better.)

Non-Fiction: October 1964 by David Halbersam. Lots of info on the first Cardinal's World Series of my life.

bobbvc 07-24-2014 08:04 PM

"Ball Four" needs to be mentioned. Loved "Glory of their Times" also, but that's 2 Non-fiction.

obcbobd 07-24-2014 08:17 PM

Non-Fiction. So many. Babe, The Legend Comes to Life.

Fiction. Bang the Drum Slowly

Bosox Blair 07-24-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry G (Post 1301766)
Fiction: Shoeless Joe by W. P. Kinsella (Loved the movie, Field of Dreams, but the book is even better.)

Was just reading this thread for the first time...astounded that it took until page 3 for someone to list this classic book! Also loved Kinsella's The Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

Cheers,
Blair

CobbvLajoie1910 07-24-2014 09:13 PM

Save GOTT (the clear #1), the non-fiction list begins & ends with Charles Alexander's Ty Cobb. IMHO, it's the finest bio of its kind.

Hank's bio on WaJo ain't half bad either. :)

darwinbulldog 07-25-2014 07:38 AM

Fiction -- If I Never Get Back

Non-fiction -- Babe: The Legend Comes to Life

byrone 07-25-2014 07:51 AM

"Veeck and in Wreck" is my favourite baseball book. Usually read it once a year.

Haven't read any non-fiction baseball books.

bbcard1 07-25-2014 08:10 AM

Ball Four for nonfiction, Box Socials for fiction, but it is not a book with that many fans

wolf441 07-25-2014 08:29 AM

Non-Fiction - Glory of Their Times is no contest, so I'll nominate a lesser known work: Fifty-nine in '84 - Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Achorn. Met the author and he was a heck of a nice guy. I also LOVE Radbourn's passion for sneaking in a flip of the bird in almost ever photo of him!

Fiction - The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella. I also loved If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock, which was already nominated.

Chris D. 07-25-2014 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolf441 (Post 1301915)
Non-Fiction - Glory of Their Times is no contest, so I'll nominate a lesser known work: Fifty-nine in '84 - Old Hoss Radbourn, Barehanded Baseball and the Greatest Season a Pitcher Ever Had by Edward Achorn. Met the author and he was a heck of a nice guy. I also LOVE Radbourn's passion for sneaking in a flip of the bird in almost ever photo of him!

Fiction - The Iowa Baseball Confederacy by W.P. Kinsella. I also loved If I Never Get Back by Darryl Brock, which was already nominated.

Just downloaded 59 in '84 to read on vacation next week.

clydepepper 07-25-2014 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bored5000 (Post 1301645)

Eddie- Thanks for the 'pep' talk by way of a positive review on what lies ahead in this book. I am enjoying it a little more.

Learned a little more about Hans Lobert - have a Turkey Red of him.

A quote from Huey Fullerton and Alexander's detailed description of his own injury in September of 1915 were very interesting.

clydepepper 07-25-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bosox Blair (Post 1301786)
Was just reading this thread for the first time...astounded that it took until page 3 for someone to list this classic book! Also loved Kinsella's The Iowa Baseball Confederacy.

Cheers,
Blair

I tried real hard to like the two Kinsella books. Shoeless Joe lost me when he built only left-field...truly odd.

I took more time on the Iowa Baseball Confederacy - actually finished it...but when you have a statue playing right-field and a time-traveling balloon landing in center...just too much.

Bored5000 07-25-2014 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1301922)
Eddie- Thanks for the 'pep' talk by way of a positive review on what lies ahead in this book. I am enjoying it a little more.

I didn't want to give you too much of a "spoiler" about the book, but your post about the repeated mentions of GCA wearing his cap too tight made me chuckle. Even Babe Ruth dreaded seeing Alexander come into game seven of the 1926 World Series...his cap too small for his head. :D

nebboy 07-25-2014 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wite3 (Post 1301718)
Fiction is "The Celebrant"...wonderful book.

Non-Fiction: "Teammates" by Halberstamm is a great look at Williams, D. Dimaggio, Pesky, and Doerr.

Honorary mention: The Great American Baseball Card Flipping, Trading, and Bubble Gum Book.

Joshua

( The Great American Baseball card book)
I love that little book it always puts a smile on my face

bgar3 07-25-2014 11:19 AM

I support the aforementioned, Celebrant, Universal Baseball Association, GOTT, the Great American Baseball Card Flipping ...,. Under the fiction catagory some of the best mysteries are the ones by Troy Soos, especially Murder at Fenway Park (about 1912) and The Cincinnati Red Stalkings (about 1869 memorabilia).

I also think the older classic histories are still great reads, eg, America's National Game, histories by Spink, Richter, Church and Ellard's, Baseball in Cincinnati. Newer histories like Block's Baseball Before We Knew It, and Thorn's, Baseball in the Garden of Eden are excellent

slidekellyslide 07-25-2014 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseygary (Post 1301641)

Absolutely agree with this...'The Natural' is my favorite book. I love the movie too, but they are nothing alike.

Wite3 07-25-2014 11:46 AM

I do have to mention one of the earliest histories which I found fascinating...

Jacob Morse wrote Sphere and Ash in 1888...it is arguably the earliest history of baseball. If you really enjoy the early history of baseball, this is a cool book.

Now, I think there are only two or three original copies left around in private collections (the book collectors can tell me more) but it has been reprinted twice. Both reprint versions were very limited as well and can be pricey. Have not checked amazon in a while for it but it might be there.

BTW, I think REA had one in their last auction that went for well above my paygrade (I think last I checked it was north of $3000!!).

Joshua

joeadcock 07-25-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbvc (Post 1301767)
"Ball Four" needs to be mentioned. Loved "Glory of their Times" also, but that's 2 Non-fiction.

Agree on the BALL FOUR

LKeeler 07-25-2014 01:24 PM

My favorite non-fiction baseball book, and one of my favorite books ever read, is "The Ticket Out: Darryl Strawberry and The Boys of Crenshaw" by Michael Sokolove. Extremely poignant story about the lives of youngsters growing up in South Central LA and their love for the game.

Tabe 07-25-2014 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris D. (Post 1301916)
Just downloaded 59 in '84 to read on vacation next week.

GREAT book. Some others:

"Crazy '08"
"Living on the Black"
"The Big Bam"
"Glory of Their Times"
"The Pitch That Killed"
"Ted Williams: The Biography of an American Hero"
"Ball Four"

I'm sure I'm missing tons of others. I've read lots and lots of great non-fiction baseball books. I've read hardly any poor ones - the Cobb books by (the fraud) Al Stump and Jane Leavy's awful bio of Sandy Koufax being the only two that come to mind.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 07-25-2014 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Den*nis O*Brien (Post 1301638)
Calico Joe, by John Grisham, is fiction revolving around a baseball incident. Grisham also wrote a non fiction book, The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice In A Small Town, about a minor league player, in the Yankees system, that wound up on Oklahoma's death row.

I agree this was a great book.

I Only Smoke 4 the Cards 07-25-2014 02:11 PM

Spalding's World Tour is a great non-fiction book about Al Spalding's 19th century baseball tour.