Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Finally...Dean's Has Competition: (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=266902)

clydepepper 03-14-2019 03:57 PM

Finally...Dean's Has Competition:

'Cigar-Box Find'

https://www.ebay.com/sch/truckeemead...&_sop=1&_rdc=1

Chris Counts 03-14-2019 04:35 PM

The seller has some interesting items, but he seems to have added an extra "0" or two to each of the prices. Perhaps he's just using eBay to post photos of his collection.

ctownboy 03-14-2019 04:44 PM

Is that Sweet Caporal piece real or a fantasy item?

David

commishbob 03-14-2019 04:48 PM

I need a nice ungraded '57 Alex Kellner but I think I will pass on that one and opt for one of the under $10 ones. I can spend the other $500 on some stars. :cool:

GasHouseGang 03-14-2019 05:16 PM

You need sunglasses :cool: just to look at his cards. He's brightened the scans so much that the white card edges blind you. I really can't tell if the cards are nice or not.

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-14-2019 05:21 PM

scans are doctored, when you look at the enlarged versions the texture is way funky.

JohnP0621 03-14-2019 05:30 PM

Cigar Box Find

Cigar Box Find ? He's even selling a cigar box. Maybe it's the one that he found the cards in.

ctownboy 03-14-2019 06:38 PM

If the Roberto Clemente piece is life size then how was it a cigar box find??

David

Cliff Bowman 03-14-2019 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ctownboy (Post 1862663)
If the Roberto Clemente piece is life size then how was it a cigar box find??

David

The Clemente sticker is relatively small, but someone could buy a complete set of them on eBay on a full sheet in the original package for half of the price he is asking for the off grade Clemente.

ctownboy 03-14-2019 07:46 PM

Cliff,

Thank you for your answer. It makes sense now. I wasn't aware of this issue and his description says full size, which I took to mean life size.

David

Harliduck 03-14-2019 11:04 PM

Doesn't accept returns...shocker. Looking at his feedback of what he has sold is shocking...can't believe there are people who fall for this crap, wow...

toledo_mudhen 03-15-2019 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commishbob (Post 1862637)
I need a nice ungraded '57 Alex Kellner but I think I will pass on that one and opt for one of the under $10 ones. I can spend the other $500 on some stars. :cool:

Yea - I zeroed in on the same card - At BEST $30 - He's got $517.44 + Shipping - Seriously? - Scratchin my head go figure:eek:

Throttlesteer 03-15-2019 06:06 AM

Perhaps he found something else to smoke in that cigar box before listing this stuff?

ctownboy 03-15-2019 07:18 AM

According to his feedback, he has sold some items that were graded by PSA so he OBVIOUSLY knows about grading companies so why aren't these "pack fresh" "dead centered" cards graded???

David

3-2-count 03-15-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctownboy (Post 1862636)
Is that Sweet Caporal piece real or a fantasy item?

David

Fantasy!

Popcorn 03-15-2019 07:54 AM

Haven’t seen a over priced Deans Card in years.... thank god for the Block button!

Throttlesteer 03-15-2019 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3-2-count (Post 1862745)
Fantasy!

"Scarce" Fantasy

Aquarian Sports Cards 03-15-2019 09:40 AM

Certainly smells a lot like a business model we have seen repeatedly pop up under different names.

ctownboy 03-15-2019 10:36 AM

In one feedback posted by a buyer they called this seller "Rob". Also, this guy seems to sell a lot of cards to the same buyers.

David

Fballguy 03-15-2019 10:56 AM

If they're that mint, why isn't he grading them? He'd make a killing.

Leon 03-16-2019 08:34 AM

Same seller, I am not so sure this is real? ..Thoughts?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pre-Shoeles...YAAOSwwzhZPgBH

Santo10Fan 03-29-2019 11:44 PM

I was unaware of this thread until the seller posted a 54 Aaron tonight. For a card of this magnitude, I was tempted to make an offer. But red flags started flying right away. No returns is a problem. The blanket guarantee of unaltered cards sticks out-I am fine with it for his collection. But I would have to ask, were all 300 star cards you had never seen before personally examined by you for trimming, etc? I don't know what to make of the payment plan. I'm no snitch, but this feels like it's against ebay policy. Additionally, the phone number (which I know is against listing policy) is listed to the carrier Onvoy, which is a voip phone. Also, coincidentally, Onvoy is a known proxy for the millions of spoof calls Americans receive daily.

By no means am I insulting this person's intelligence, but I think a savvy seller should have drummed up press/media over a find like this. Beckett Media is the first one that comes to mind. If that Shotwell Ruth guy can get on local news, so can this guy. Wtf else is going on in Reno?? Legacy auction houses basically exist for stuff like this. Striking a deal with PSA was an option. Plenty of slabs have collection monikers on the label-and as we know "Lucky 7" and "Dimitri Young" slabs command premiums. "The Shoebox Find" on 300 slabs of fabulous NM cards could have helped-especially on the 1952 Topps Mantles. Anyways, the seller promises this is the rollout of the high end cards. When those 52 Mantles are posted, watch out...there's not a single legit raw one for sale there now.

toledo_mudhen 03-30-2019 03:01 AM

I see this has been added to original posting of the Joe Jackson Newspaper Page

NOTE: After much thought and consideration, we have decided to change our return policy. Because our number one goal is, and always has been, top level customer service, we have decided, effective immediately to implement a full 30 DAY, NO QUESTIONS ASKED RETURN POLICY. I hope this gives our customers more peace of mind that we will always stand behind what we sell. Thank you.

Leon 04-02-2019 03:18 PM

Don't you want to pay really high prices for ungraded NRMT-MT vintage cards? What could go wrong?

Quote:

Originally Posted by clydepepper (Post 1862625)

packs 04-02-2019 03:22 PM

Isn't a no returns policy against both eBay and Paypal's policies, which you must agree to in order to sell anything through eBay or Paypal?

UrbsHobbyCards 04-02-2019 03:50 PM

Notice how all of the feedback says best offer was accepted? I bet many folks are offering half of the listed price thinking they got a great deal.

LACardsGuy 04-02-2019 04:21 PM

Happen to know this person and have done business with him (buying large lots, not one off cards). He has huge collection of cards from his deceased older brother and father, and a stand up guy. The cigar box thing is true, but I think that's just really for making listings stand out.

I have no idea how he sells things this high, but he does. He is definitely asking way more than he expects.

LACardsGuy 04-02-2019 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1867269)
Isn't a no returns policy against both eBay and Paypal's policies, which you must agree to in order to sell anything through eBay or Paypal?

no. this is incorrect.

packs 04-02-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 1867290)
no. this is incorrect.

In what way, though? Paypal will let a buyer open a claim for money sent through Paypal. How can an item description void those terms if they accept Paypal as payment?

bigfish 04-02-2019 06:03 PM

Trim city

Look at the edges on a lot of these cards. Look trimmed to me. Maybe its that brother tandem that was selling raw cards on eBay and later on their own auction website.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

LACardsGuy 04-02-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by packs (Post 1867321)
In what way, though? Paypal will let a buyer open a claim for money sent through Paypal. How can an item description void those terms if they accept Paypal as payment?

No returns policy is different than buyer’s ability to make not as described claim. Offering returns means buyer can say i do not want this because it is thursday and my cat is sick. Buyers are ALWAYS. Protected under not as described policy.

Outside of chasing top rated discounts, i do not see much advantage to a seller to having blanket returns policy. Ebay already makes it hard enough on sellers.

LACardsGuy 04-02-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1867322)
Look at the edges on a lot of these cards. Look trimmed to me. Maybe its that brother tandem that was selling raw cards on eBay and later on their own auction website.

Something is rotten in Denmark.

See my previous post. It is not some brother tandem and I have never received a trimmed card from him

bigfish 04-02-2019 07:09 PM

To the defender

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 1867328)
See my previous post. It is not some brother tandem and I have never received a trimmed card from him

Can you go take a look at the 61 mantle dead centered. List for 1961.00. It’s one of the most obvious trim jobs listed by this seller in my opinion. Can you speak to the zigs zags slants curves and bowing on multiple edges? That card is an absolute train wreck.

I would tell your friend to grade his cards. Easier to sell them.

cubman1941 04-03-2019 07:09 AM

There is a Pirate pack on eBay right now at $46 with about $12 shipping with 3 days left.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliff Bowman (Post 1862682)
The Clemente sticker is relatively small, but someone could buy a complete set of them on eBay on a full sheet in the original package for half of the price he is asking for the off grade Clemente.

LACardsGuy 04-03-2019 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfish (Post 1867333)
Can you go take a look at the 61 mantle dead centered. List for 1961.00. It’s one of the most obvious trim jobs listed by this seller in my opinion. Can you speak to the zigs zags slants curves and bowing on multiple edges? That card is an absolute train wreck.

I would tell your friend to grade his cards. Easier to sell them.

Very much doubt your assessment re: trimming is correct, but of course, I can't be sure. He has done quite a bit of biz with PSA and SGC, but in general, doesn't want to deal with grading fees and waits when people are buying his stuff like this. Do the completed sales trick and see how much has sold raw. It's impressive.

packs 04-03-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 1867326)
No returns policy is different than buyer’s ability to make not as described claim. Offering returns means buyer can say i do not want this because it is thursday and my cat is sick. Buyers are ALWAYS. Protected under not as described policy.

Outside of chasing top rated discounts, i do not see much advantage to a seller to having blanket returns policy. Ebay already makes it hard enough on sellers.

Being able to return a card means a seller accepts returns.

bigfish 04-03-2019 01:34 PM

Cheerleader

[QUOTE=LACardsGuy;1867441]Very much doubt your assessment re: trimming is correct, but of course, I can't be sure. He has done quite a bit of biz with PSA and SGC, but in general, doesn't want to deal with grading fees and waits when people are buying his stuff like this. Do the completed sales trick and see how much has sold raw. It's impressive.[/QUOTE

Not grading high end cards because of the grading fees might be the stupidest reason I have ever heard. It’s just another red flag for a shady seller. Or atleast that’s the perception is gives off.

Since you’re the only cheerleader for this seller.... why don’t you pass along some info to your friend or directly to yourself.

bbcemporium 04-03-2019 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LACardsGuy (Post 1867287)
Happen to know this person and have done business with him (buying large lots, not one off cards). He has huge collection of cards from his deceased older brother and father, and a stand up guy. The cigar box thing is true, but I think that's just really for making listings stand out.

I have no idea how he sells things this high, but he does. He is definitely asking way more than he expects.

The cigar box thing is a farce. Some of the pictures shown in the find are "borrowed" pictures from other sources.