Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oldest Set with a Checklist Card... (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=83997)

Archive 01-30-2007 05:52 PM

Oldest Set with a Checklist Card...

Posted By: <b>Brad Green</b><p><br />I'm curious... What's the oldest set with a checklist card that is considered part of the set? Topps issued checklists that were numbered and were part of the set. I'm assuming they started that tradition in the 1950's.<br /><br />The oldest set that I can think of was the 1933 George C. Miller's, where a checklist (of sorts) was included on the back of every card. Are there any checklist cards that are older than those?<br />

Archive 01-30-2007 05:53 PM

Posted By: <b>Griffin's</b><p>T3's have a checklist on the back, don't A & G's as well?

Archive 01-30-2007 05:56 PM

Posted By: <b>Wesley</b><p>Both N28s and N162s have checklists on back of the cards.

Archive 01-30-2007 06:05 PM

Posted By: <b>Dan Bretta</b><p>I know it wasn't in card form, but didn't Old Judge produce a checklist with advertising for the N172 cards?

Archive 01-30-2007 09:04 PM

Posted By: <b>jims</b><p>How about Boston Garters.

Archive 01-31-2007 02:07 AM

Posted By: <b>Bruce Dorskind</b><p>Brad<br /><br />As a collector of older card sets, you have a responsibility to yourself<br />to understand a bit about the history of each of the major card sets,<br /><br />Whilst there are more than a dozen books one could read about<br />pre World War II baseball cards, you might want to begin your<br />education by visiting the home page of the Old Carboard web site.<br /><br />Under the logo there is are links for N cards, D cards, E cards etc.<br /><br />N cards, as we suspect you know, were those cards issued in the<br />19th century ( there are some nineteenth century cards that <br />are listed as E cards). Simply click on the link and then visit<br />the sets.<br /><br />There are five sets that have check lists. Old Judge did not publish<br />what we know as a checklist. The company, however, did publish<br /> a list of premium (cabinet) cards that were available.<br /><br />There are a cadre of E cards which also had checklists which<br />either appear on the back of the card and/or were available<br />from the manufacturer.<br /><br />We hope that you will dedicate the time and resouurces necessary<br />to garner a comprehensive understanding of the early history<br />of these American treasures.<br /><br /><br />Bruce Dorskind<br />America's Toughest Want List

Archive 01-31-2007 04:42 AM

Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>Topps inserted or "pushed" checklist cards into some 1956 and 1957 baseball packs but they were not technically part of the set as they were not numbered and had no real design to them. In 1958 they started printing checklists on the back of team cards (and, in '58 on the reverse of the All Star managers card as well). In 1961 they made the checklists part of the set itself, i.e a separate, individually numbered card.<br /><br />I would have to check further for full details but I know Topps issued checklists with some football sets as well prior to this and (my memory is failing here and I don't have time to look it up now) some non-sports sets. Just not recalling the timing and appearance of those at the moment. If interest persists on the board for this, I'll try looking that up this weekend.<br /><br />Dave

Archive 01-31-2007 05:37 AM

Posted By: <b>Ted Zanidakis</b><p>My guess is the T3's.<br /><br />On their backs is one of the best and most complete Checklists that I have seen on Vintage cards.<br /><br />TED Z