Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Never understood "paying strong" on BST (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=244843)

Snapolit1 09-11-2017 09:04 PM

Never understood "paying strong" on BST

You are "paying strong" for Goudey Ruths? Or for Cracker Jacks? OK, go to Heritage and PWCC and start buying away. "Paying strong" always seems to be some amorphous term that means some price that never quite reaches going market rate.

So many nice Goudey Ruths on the block. Go buy them Mr. Paying Strong.

Tao_Moko 09-11-2017 09:11 PM

Maybe it means applying physical strength to the action of transferring money. Like, "here's twenty bucks" while simultaneously punching the cash into your arm.

bbcard1 09-11-2017 09:16 PM

You have to be very educated, but there is a sweet spot where you can "pay strong" and get them for less that you could get them from the auction house and pay the seller more than they would get from the auction house without the wait and rigamarole.

Snapolit1 09-11-2017 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tao_Moko (Post 1700148)
Maybe it means applying physical strength to the action of transferring money. Like, "here's twenty bucks" while simultaneously punching the cash into your arm.

LOL. Good one. Will try at the deli tomorrow when I get my coffee and breakfast.

NiceDocter 09-11-2017 11:07 PM

"Paying Strong" for a very rare card or item could actually mean what it implies, but for most stuff it means...." paying you as little as possible but maybe if I call it strong you will sell it to me cheap???"

bobbyw8469 09-11-2017 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiceDocter (Post 1700195)
"Paying Strong" for a very rare card or item could actually mean what it implies, but for most stuff it means...." paying you as little as possible but maybe if I call it strong you will sell it to me cheap???"

LOL.....All Star Cards puts out a "BUY LIST" on their monthly periodical. Sight unseen (but they ARE PSA graded cards).....The "paying strong" man can never beat what that magazine is paying.....so much for "paying strong".

conor912 09-11-2017 11:21 PM

I use it to mean, "if you have one and are willing to sell it, contact me first bc I am most likely willing to pay more than what you'll get for it elsewhere". I have a BST thread right now "paying strong for a '41PB Williams". I will happily pay the same, if not more, than it would get at auction....with 100% net to the seller. But it's got to meet all my criteria, which is proving hard to find. I understand for the '33G Ruth's, but for something you're having a hard time finding, it can help pry stuff out of collections....sometimes :)

conor912 09-11-2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1700198)
LOL.....All Star Cards puts out a "BUY LIST" on their monthly periodical. Sight unseen (but they ARE PSA graded cards).....The "paying strong" man can never beat what that magazine is paying.....so much for "paying strong".

Do you own All Star Cards?

bobbyw8469 09-11-2017 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by conor912 (Post 1700200)
Do you own All Star Cards?

Of course not...they are based out of Kansas. I live in NC.....but I have used them....and "Paying Strong" has never beat their offers...would you like to know what they are offering for a 1941 Play Ball Williams?

conor912 09-12-2017 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 (Post 1700204)
Of course not...they are based out of Kansas. I live in NC.....but I have used them....and "Paying Strong" has never beat their offers...would you like to know what they are offering for a 1941 Play Ball Williams?

Why not. What's a 5 worth to them?