Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   10K for a Young portrait in a 5 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=262940)

Aquarian Sports Cards 12-18-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benjulmag (Post 1837288)

To Larry's point about limited supply due to collectors keeping the cards, I believe that is at play too. So you combine the increased demand with a more limited supply, one doesn't need to be an economist to predict what that will do to price.

If more collectors are keeping their cards how come there are more auction houses than ever, ebay sales of prewar are brisk and there are other outlets (facebook etc.) that also sell tons of pre-war cards?

ullmandds 12-18-2018 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards (Post 1837348)
If more collectors are keeping their cards how come there are more auction houses than ever, ebay sales of prewar are brisk and there are other outlets (facebook etc.) that also sell tons of pre-war cards?

I think the reality is that more people are flipping cards today than ever before

Peter_Spaeth 12-18-2018 08:15 AM

The explanations I have heard could account for a gradual price rise over time, but not, in my mind, for a sudden meteoric one. People didn't just wake up one night of a PWCC auction to the investment possibilities of nice mid grade T206s, IMO.

Millerd33 12-18-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ullmandds (Post 1837349)
I think the reality is that more people are flipping cards today than ever before

This is a fact. Especially noticeable on facebook razz groups. (raffle groups where you buy a spot for a chance to win a card)

I see countless cards sell on ebay for more than a straight sale could bring normally and put up in these groups for 20% more and they sell quickly.

This is one of the reasons (besides the legality issue of such raffles) that we do not allow them in our pre war fb group.

frankbmd 12-18-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1837337)
Ask collectors who have been buying fine antique furniture over the years how they are doing with their investment. They will all tell you the same thing: the market is dead and they will never get their money out of their collections.

Is this the furniture BST section?

I have a fine antique square table suitable for playing cards, sorting cards or playing tabletop baseball sim games. It was crafted in 1830 and is made of real wood, not particle board. Photos available upon request. Serious offers only. If you are in need of firewood, kindly do not respond.;)

ullmandds 12-18-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Millerd33 (Post 1837352)
This is a fact. Especially noticeable on facebook razz groups. (raffle groups where you buy a spot for a chance to win a card)

I see countless cards sell on ebay for more than a straight sale could bring normally and put up in these groups for 20% more and they sell quickly.

This is one of the reasons (besides the legality issue of such raffles) that we do not allow them in our pre war fb group.

And this is a similar mentality I saw on many stock message boards leading up to the recent crash...people getting in because it seemed like a sure thing...so easy to buy because everything just keeps going up...and look where we are now. not to say this will happen to most caards...just citing a similar example.

Peter_Spaeth 12-18-2018 08:34 AM

Bitcoin!!

benjulmag 12-18-2018 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 1837350)
The explanations I have heard could account for a gradual price rise over time, but not, in my mind, for a sudden meteoric one. People didn't just wake up one night of a PWCC auction to the investment possibilities of nice mid grade T206s, IMO.

Peter, is this sudden meteoric rise the sale of one PSA 5 T206 Young, or are you referring to a number of comparable transactions? If the former, maybe the explanation is the simplest -- two collectors were chasing that card, had a lot of money, really liked it, and didn't want to wait for another comparable 5 to come along. I'm not saying this is the explanation, only that there is limited information one can derive from a single transaction.

That said, because IMO the price makes sense based on the prices of 8's combined with logical explanations of supply and demand, even though the increase might have happened more quickly than what one is accustomed to seeing, I am hesitant to describe the forces at play anything other than prudent assessment of value. If though the meteoric rise takes the price to a level that seems totally whacked out compared to prices of 8's (e.g., $50k), then I would have more cause to suspect something other than ordinary market forces at play.

Peter_Spaeth 12-18-2018 09:07 AM

Corey this thread was a response to maybe 3 or 4 seemingly way out of line prices in a recent PWCC auction, not any trend.

barrysloate 12-18-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankbmd (Post 1837356)
Is this the furniture BST section?

I have a fine antique square table suitable for playing cards, sorting cards or playing tabletop baseball sim games. It was crafted in 1830 and is made of real wood, not particle board. Photos available upon request. Serious offers only. If you are in need of firewood, kindly do not respond.;)

I have a beautiful 1890's oak roll top desk. I bought it in 1988 for $2200, and I was lucky to get it. Back then there were a hundred antique stores in my neighborhood (there are maybe two left), and I had to get on a lot of waiting lists and be really aggressive to land it. It was my holy grail, and I still use it today. I imagined how much it would be worth as the years passed.

Well it's thirty years later, and I'm thinking of selling it. Anyone care to bail me out at cost? How about a discount below my cost? How about I throw in the cost of your rental van if you are willing to come and pick it up?

That is the state of the antique roll top desk market.

Sean 12-18-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barrysloate (Post 1837337)
Ask collectors who have been buying fine antique furniture over the years how they are doing with their investment. They will all tell you the same thing: the market is dead and they will never get their money out of their collections.

I've heard the same thing about model trains. They were really hot when I was young (so I'm told), but today there is almost no interest in them. Collectors can't come close to getting their money back when they sell.

barrysloate 12-18-2018 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean (Post 1837501)
I've heard the same thing about model trains. They were really hot when I was young (so I'm told), but today there almost no interest in them. Collectors can't come close to getting their money back when they sell.

I don't believe the new generation cares at all about antiques. Why spend a lot of money on an antique when you can go to Ikea and buy something brand new for a whole lot less? That's why I am a little bearish on the long time future of the baseball card hobby. Current collectors are still avid buyers and will probably remain so. But the next generation, I'm not so sure. Time will tell.

tmw2ward 12-19-2018 12:26 AM

Interesting point about the future of collecting...I wonder what the average age of a collector on net 54 is? I'm 40, would be cool to see someone put up a poll...

Rhotchkiss 12-19-2018 04:59 AM

+1. Whoever is savy enough to do it, how about a poll asking how old people on the board are. I am 44.

ullmandds 12-19-2018 05:13 AM

Ask archive this was done recently

ullmandds 12-19-2018 05:20 AM

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...light=poll+age

Rhotchkiss 12-19-2018 05:45 AM

Thanks Pete. I revived the thread, which is from 2014, so it’s “old man recently” :), to which I can totally relate.

It’s good/comforting to see that the vast majority of the collectors (in 2014) range from 30’s to 50’s. That means we likely have at least another 20-30 years of interest before baseball cards are given up for Fortnite skins and Xbox games by the youngins of today

ullmandds 12-19-2018 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1837742)
Thanks Pete. I revived the thread, which is from 2014, so it’s “old man recently” :), to which I can totally relate.

It’s good/comforting to see that the vast majority of the collectors (in 2014) range from 30’s to 50’s. That means we likely have at least another 20-30 years of interest before baseball cards are given up for Fortnite skins and Xbox games by the youngins of today

haha...feels like yesterday!

Sean 12-19-2018 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss (Post 1837742)

Well, I learned something new today: "old man recently."

Rhotchkiss 12-19-2018 02:24 PM

Sean, as I get older, two years ago feels like yesterday, and 10 years ago feels like 2 months ago. Sucks getting older. The worst was when 80's bands started showing up on "Classic Rock" stations.

tmw2ward 12-19-2018 05:37 PM

Thanks Pete!